Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

POLL: Would you consider the JRiver Synapse (a PC to TV connection device)?

<< < (10/11) > >>

benn600:
I guess one big problem with this system is that it takes some infrastructure to be built up by the user.  From a usable-speed network to a fair amount of disk space to know how for building a large library of media.  Once the work is done, it's great to sit back.  The key is for people to see a glimpse at how amazing it is and then take the project to heart.  Some people only rip a few pieces of content but they really need to rip everything.  This just demonstrates tech savy vs lesser tech savy and, of course, the less tech savy are the ones who would buy the boxes and love them but not be able to construct a nice library.

Exactly why iTunes succeeds so well.  It's start to finish easy.  And the tech savy realize the drawbacks to their system--locked in, low quality, annoying problems, limited customization.

BartMan01:
My requirments for an HTPC/Media Extender:

Has to be so simple my wife can use it when I am out of town.  Only interface device for normal use should be IR commands from a universal remote.
Must support DVD's as VOB/ISO.  The wife likes to jump around and watch her favorite parts so having the menu and chapters are a must if I ever create a personal digital library of the DVD's I own.
Must support all of the non-DRMed content that I have or am likely to use digitally (APE, MP3, M2TS, MKV, M4A, WMV, AVI, etc.) and be able to play back 1080p HD content smoothly.  Must be able to 'grow with the times' as new codecs and containers come out.
1080p, 720p, and 1080i (for my RP CRT) support.

Integrated Netflix support (like the 360) would be nice.

MrHaugen:
I hate Infrared signals. RF and bluetooth beats it, but Wifi is the way to go imo. Just wish there was a bit more wifi remotes out there that don't cost a fortune.

newsposter:
Are you taking about a MC 'appliance'??

MrHaugen:
I sure am. You don't think a remote control should be part of a good HTPC appliance?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version