INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod 5g 30GB sync issues  (Read 2219 times)

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
iPod 5g 30GB sync issues
« on: December 18, 2008, 06:14:53 am »

Hello,

I'm having problems with the latest and all the previous (registered) MC 13 builds upon synchronization of the local library with my iPod:
the free space calculation seems to be wrong and, as a result, the synchronization is not correctly performed; the last time I tried, MC reported "error" for many files, even if I told it to exclude files that could not be transferred.
I'd like to send my log file but MC's builtin menu function opens a message into my Mozilla Thunderbird, but without the destination address;
where can I send it?

Regards,
Fabrizio Ammollo

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: iPod 5g 30GB sync issues
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 02:48:55 am »

I add that I previously wrote about this issue in this message:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49285.msg338179#msg338179

but no one answered. I thought that the developers could help me... :-(

Regards,
Fabrizio Ammollo

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 04:51:16 am »

This happened to me too. I did a library backup and then did a total uninstall and reinstall to fix it.

P.S. I use 13.0.54 from ftp site since I frequently use m4a files for my IPod and the newer versions are broken for importing this file type. If you use iTunes (m4p), I imagine it will be the same.
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 12:20:35 pm »

I haven't been able to reproduce this.

Is Media Center reporting that it will "Delete On Sync" in the iPod details view?

Also, Media Center will not allow you to totally fill the device or writing the database, cover art, etc. could fail.  For a 30 GB device, it will reserve about 100 MB of "squish".

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 04:30:53 am »

This happened to me too. I did a library backup and then did a total uninstall and reinstall to fix it.

P.S. I use 13.0.54 from ftp site since I frequently use m4a files for my IPod and the newer versions are broken for importing this file type. If you use iTunes (m4p), I imagine it will be the same.

I tried the brutal way, as you did, and it worked. Thanks!

About m4a files, I gave up using them, because they don't store the tags internally...

Regards,
Fabrizio

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 04:38:02 am »

I haven't been able to reproduce this.

Is Media Center reporting that it will "Delete On Sync" in the iPod details view?

Also, Media Center will not allow you to totally fill the device or writing the database, cover art, etc. could fail.  For a 30 GB device, it will reserve about 100 MB of "squish".

Yes, MC reported that some files were to be deleted on sync, that's the most strange thing that I noticed when I saw that problem; anyway, I totally cleared the library, recreated it from scratch and I was able to correctly import it all.
I understand that it is not possible to completely fill the device because there must be enough free space for the DB and other support files, thank you for quantifying the exact amount.

Regards,
Fabrizio

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 04:49:38 am »

Hi !
I had that kind of problems too with the same iPod and a recent build (13.0.8?). Each time I clicked on "Recheck sync", I had different results, and always a wrong value. But in the end I just had to restart MC to be able to sync.

Once synced, there is something weird in the Artists list on the iPod : artists beginning by "The" appear several times (3-8 time). In MC, I checked the option to ignore articles at sorting, might be linked...

Raph

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 07:32:03 am »

Well, I thought that everything was OK, but instead it isn't: I synced the iPod and MC reported that everything was synchronized, then,
I have removed some files from the library and deleted them from disk too and MC still reports that everything is synchronized, but instead the removed files should be removed from the iPod too!
I have just updated to the latest build, just to be sure, but nothing has changed.
To whom may I send the files to for an analysis?

Thanks in advance
Regards
Fabrizio

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 07:45:12 am »

Hello,

I'm having problems with the latest and all the previous (registered) MC 13 builds upon synchronization of the local library with my iPod:
the free space calculation seems to be wrong and, as a result, the synchronization is not correctly performed; the last time I tried, MC reported "error" for many files, even if I told it to exclude files that could not be transferred.
I'd like to send my log file but MC's builtin menu function opens a message into my Mozilla Thunderbird, but without the destination address;
where can I send it?

Regards,
Fabrizio Ammollo

I'm very sorry: I found out why the files were not removed from the iPod: I didn't check the option to remove files not into the sync list! :-(

Regards,
Fabrizio

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 08:14:07 am »

Glad to hear you got it working.  Anything we could have done to make it more obvious in the program?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 08:52:01 am »

Glad to hear you got it working.  Anything we could have done to make it more obvious in the program?

Uhmmm.... I would avoid other dialogs; maybe, the sync dialog could show somewhere that that particular option has not been chosen and so the sync may not be what one expects it to be... :-)

Fabrizio
Pages: [1]   Go Up