INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting inside groups vs sorting via rules for file display  (Read 1895 times)

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
Sorting inside groups vs sorting via rules for file display
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:41:43 pm »

In my root audio view my files are grouped by album.  'Sort inside groups' is set to MediaType-Disc#-Track#-Name-coverart (My root audio view includes cover art; 'name' and 'coverart' help organize them below the songs in their own order). This view correctly shows songs grouped by album, and with the files sorted properly within the groups.

But...sorting of the groups themselves doesn't work right, or at least not as I keep expecting it to. Currently the albums are displayed in some unknown order and I can't seem to change the order. 'Use parent scheme' is not checked. 'Lock view' is not checked. If I bring up the 'set rules for file display' dialog, there is one modification rule - listing the sort order previously selected as my 'sort inside groups' (ie MediaType-Disc#-Track#-Name-coverart). If I try to edit this sort rule, say by changing it to '[artist]-[album]', then close this window and the 'customize view' window, it does not change anything. Then if I go back into 'customize view', then 'set rules for file display', my changes have not been saved. The same 'MediaType-Disc#-Track#-Name-coverart' is shown.

Is this expected behavior? I'd like to be able to sort my groups but can't figure this out. Thanks.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting inside groups vs sorting via rules for file display
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 05:11:39 pm »

I've been baffled by the results whenever I attempt to sort on Track#. Now I see what's happening—any attempt to sort by Track# results in a sort by Disc# - Track#. This makes perfect sense, but gives me baffling results because I happen to use the Disc# tag to store Rating in the file. Fortunately, I use "[track#] [Name]" for Filenames, so I can restore an Album - Track# sort order by sorting on that.

So thanks for solving my puzzle. I'm not sure how this affects your situation, but I wonder explicitly including Disc# in a sort causes problems because the program joins Disc# and Track# when sorting. What happens if you leave it out?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 01:54:59 am »

There is a bug with sorting within groups I think. I have been reporting it for the last couple fo weeks. I have tried to customize a ivew to change the sorting of the bottom files list numerous times and the list never updates.

kid_id

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 10:46:44 am »

Just got .100 and I'm still having a similar issue (with video sorted by the episode tag) in standard mode.

Same situation, on the bottom file-view (with thumbnails up top sorted as genre > series > season, all working fine)
I have it in details mode / grouped by season / with sort by set as "custom" "episode a-z." (The same as it seems some people have had with tracks on albums instead of episodes in seasons)

It's giving me an arrow at the top of the episode column, but it's not actually sorted them (instead defaulting to date then name)
I can click on the column-head to have it sort properly, but if I click off  to anything else it goes back to date / name sorting. I also don't have file view as parent or lock view selected and I'm getting progressively more frustrated by it.

Has there been a solution or work-around to this that anyone knows of? or is there just one big-fat option somewhere I've managed to miss?

Thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up