INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edit FLAC Tags Directly  (Read 1548 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Edit FLAC Tags Directly
« on: January 01, 2009, 02:01:20 pm »

Is there a way to write tags to FLAC files without touching the MC database?  Not sure if I forgot to change it, but somehow Ratings was left on Storing in Tags.  I do not want this to take place.  So I want to erase all ratings from my FLAC files without modifying the MC ratings column.  I store the permanent rating as [Ben's Rating].

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Edit FLAC Tags Directly
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 12:24:35 am »

Select files > Right click > Remove Tags

Will remove all MC tags from the files.

When done, right click again and choose "Library Tools > Update tags from library"

This should just write the tags that you've specified to be saved in the file tags.

Try a couple before you go wholesale ;)

This happened because the library version in v13 has been updated, therefore, all 'save in tags' settings revert to defaults. This also applies to any custom field keywords you set... they will also have been replaced by the installer defaults, requiring that they be re-applied to the new library.

-marko

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Edit FLAC Tags Directly
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:20:57 am »

From the top of my head I can think of several different ways to do that with a single MC13 instance even without resorting to other MC/MJ instances or external tagger programs.

Marko's solution would work, but removing and rewriting all tags can cause heavy file rewriting if the possibly existing empty padding area is completely used.

A couple of alternative solutions:

- Enable tag writing in the Rating field's settings, use the "Move / Copy Fields" tool and move the Rating values to some other field (set the target field to not write tags), disable tag writing in the Rating field's settings, move the values back to the Rating field.

- Disable Auto-Import, create a cloned copy of the library (use the "Clone From" option in Library Manager), load the cloned library, enable tagging in the Rating field's settings and unrate the files. After that you can load the normal library and set your normal options. You can delete the cloned library.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up