INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SEARCH is broken? [Not]  (Read 1053 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
SEARCH is broken? [Not]
« on: January 01, 2009, 04:09:06 am »

If I type '[name]=Original Sinsuality' (a Tori Amos song) into the search window or use the Wizard to create a search "Name contains Original Sinsuality" the results are broken.  The details window correctly pulls up the individual items matching the filter, but the top pane (in my case set to album thumbnails) shows ALL Tori Amos albums, not just those albums with tracks matching my search filter.

Correct behaviour is surely that the top pane is also filtered as per the search terms and not to show every album by the artist and every track on the album.  It currently makes it impossible to do a search and then to then select all those top pane entries, eg for mass tagging, without incorrectly selecting all the other tracks by the artist.

Just checked MC12 final build and it shows the same (IMO incorrect behaviour).

[update]OK, I see what is happening.  The top pane results are CORRECT and filtered until you then click on ALBUM, for instance, to expand the results.  You then get all the artists albums because the filter is no longer being applied.  Perhaps the filter should remain until the user clears it???[/update]

Mark

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: SEARCH is broken?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:46:00 am »

OK, I see what is happening.  The top pane results are CORRECT and filtered until you then click on ALBUM, for instance, to expand the results.  You then get all the artists albums because the filter is no longer being applied.  Perhaps the filter should remain until the user clears it???

It's a gray area.  We think stacking filters gets confusing, so drilling in clears the search.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Re: SEARCH is broken?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:52:14 am »

Yeah, I appreciate that.  However, I've lost count of the number of times I've used search to "filter" my view and then cannot do further useful work because the view is lost as soon as I drill down.    On the other hand, I don't see a simple solution that satisfies all users.

Having said that, my personal preference would be that the search filter stays until cleared by the user.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up