INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac discussion #4,337  (Read 2792 times)

UPRRGUY

• Recent member
Mac discussion #4,337
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:48:29 pm »

I have been using JRiver Media Jukebox/Media Center for YEARS! I would not dream of using ANY other music player for my computer. If anyone even thinks of trying something else they need to see a shrink. This is the absolute BEST product available. No I have not been paid by them in any way for this testimonial. (I'm sorry, I lied. They sent me a tee-shirt some years ago and put my pic up on their site for being a beta tester!) I am just a believer and user of this product and it is the best. "Nuff said.........." Mark Cheney, Granbury TX.  ;D ;D
PS: I only have one complaint, and I mean only one..........it won't work on a Mac. (I hate iTunes).

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Mac discussion #4,337
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:30:33 am »

PS: I only have one complaint, and I mean only one..........it won't work on a Mac. (I hate iTunes).

I've been running MC12 and 13 under VMWare Fusion on my macbook.

j

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Mac discussion #4,337
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:37:04 am »

Ha!  I bet they're wining and dining you to make a testimonial like that.  The fact that I'm approaching 3K posts on this forum means nothin'

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:41:43 am »

It runs decently under Parallels too.

Now, if only there were a native linux version of the server...

UPRRGUY

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 01:01:41 pm »

Nope they haven't paid me a dime. I just like Media Center very much. Will have to look into Parallells and VMWare Fusion. iTunes just sux.
I like being able to have just straight MP3's not all the Mac Mumbo Jumbo. Getting songs off an iPod with out the original Mac is a pain in the you-know-what. I can do it, it is just very time consuming. I also use Media Editor a lot and have gotten pretty good at navigating the program. Thanks JRiver!   

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 02:52:10 pm »

well my GF has moved in and she's a devoted Mac fan.. which brings me here... so from what i'm getting from all these posts its still only possible to run jriver on a mac through a virtual desktop\OS?

ty

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 03:10:47 pm »

Using MC in VMWare Fusion is almost there... It works.  And it works just fine for Audio, so if that's all you need, then you'll be all set.

Video is... Less working.  The screenshot below makes it look good...

But really it was skipping and freezing so badly it was unwatchable.  Now that was pretty much as close to a "nightmare mode" test as is possible.  That file was a 720p x264 compressed MKV, located on a network drive which was only connected to my laptop via a Wireless Network connection (not even 802.11N, it was a G router).  FWIW, I did test with a local copy of the same file and it was better, but still unwatchable.

Theater View is also basically unusable with my MacBook Pro.  Though perhaps with a vanilla Macbook (and the Intel integrated GPU) it might be better.  VMWare has 3D acceleration working (and I had it enabled), but I don't know how well it supports the more esoteric MacBook Pro GPUs at this point.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 03:20:18 pm »

so glynor if i buy the vmware fusion for my gf... she would be able to install it then install jriver demo to try it out then buy if she likes it... the goal for us is, (being i have so much media) for her to view my music files and play them on her mac and she's really getting sick of the the intunes and i THINK has grown found of my jriver. .. so once installed and being ive shared my files to her mac she should be able to import the whole music drive and sort\make own playlists etc to play on her mac with jriver?

Also being i have that music drive setup now to read\write (Her And I been tagging the whole music drive through jriver for last couple months on windows machines) would she be able to use her mac to help tag my exsisting library instead of my windows lappy? then once its done i can make music drive read only again or would that not be possible? 
Ty

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:26:54 pm »

VMWare has a 30 day free trial.  I recommend you use it.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Also being i have that music drive setup now to read\write (Her And I been tagging the whole music drive through jriver for last couple months on windows machines) would she be able to use her mac to help tag my exsisting library instead of my windows lappy? then once its done i can make music drive read only again or would that not be possible? 

Yes, yes, and yes.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 03:27:33 pm »

and if i may add.. can i just set up her mac to search for my server\main jiver library?

Then we would be rocking here!!!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 03:28:54 pm »

awesome downloading now.

TY She'll be Exstatic!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 03:30:36 pm »

and if i may add.. can i just set up her mac to search for my server\main jiver library?

I don't know about the searching.  However, since VMWare Fusion IS Windows, it works just like it would from inside Windows, so it'd probably work as long as the firewall on the Mac wasn't blocking it or anything.

One thing to note... Running Fusion effectively forces you to chop your RAM in half (you have to pre-determine how much RAM to set aside for the Virtual OS).  Therefore, having a Mac with gobs of RAM is your best bet.

Thankfully, RAM is god-awful cheap right now.

I just bought one of these sets for my MacBook Pro: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231160

HTPC4ME

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 03:32:04 pm »

awesome ty for the tips.. this will be on a mac 10.4 desktop and she only has 1G in it.. so be an interesting test.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 03:37:42 pm »

awesome ty for the tips.. this will be on a mac 10.4 desktop and she only has 1G in it.. so be an interesting test.

The OS on the system in the screenshot above (for those of you who aren't Mac-nerds so can't spot it) is 10.4.11, so I'm not on Leopard either.  It's a 15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM, AMD X1600 GPU, and a WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200RPM SATA drive.

PS.  I can't wait for WD to finally come out with a 500GB Scorpio Black drive.  Please hurry, WD!!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 03:40:58 pm »

great additional comment ty.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 03:42:24 pm »

I should really try the "nightmare mode" test out on my Mac Pro, and see how a four core Xeon 3.2Ghz beast rips through it (with a high-end GPU, to boot, though no wireless share, of course)...

Sigh... Too much fun, not enough time.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 05:15:13 pm »

well seems her machine is to old.. tried installing vmware fusion. could not open application vmware fusion because it is not supported on this system :(

and to confirm i downloaded parrells and tried installing that and that program actually gave the error that parrallells can only be installed on a intel type mac.

any other suggestions to make jriver work on her machine? or for those of you who use itunes.. is it possible for her to get my music off my netowrk drive and play them thru her itunes from the network? my only concern is being that i have the whole music drive as read\write right now that itunes may change my files.. which i'm very leary about!!

ty in advance.

Did some research VMware Fusion mentions...
* An Intel-based Mac (64-bit guest operating systems require a EM64T-capable processor)
* 512 MB of RAM (1 GB or more recommended)
* 275 MB free disk space for VMware Fusion
* 1 GB free disk space for each virtual machine (10 GB or more recommended)
* Mac OS X version 10.4.9 or later

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 09:57:02 am »

Does she actually have an Intel based MAC?  If not, then parallels/VMWare are out as they require the Intel processor.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 10:16:47 am »

i 'm new to mac's but from what her system profiler says.. no she doesnt :(

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 05:22:01 pm »

Somebody mentioning that using WMware effectively meant schopping up your RAM in two halves.... But if MC is the only thing you want to emulate, surely you could get away with allocating less than that? I don't have a Mac, but I'm thinking I *might* try it... At first on a friends Mac though! MC is more important than Mac / Windows (and I have nothing against Windows, just want to perhaps broaden my horizon).

I'm thinking I might add a specific query: How would you think MC would run under Wmware on an Atom-based netbook (1.6 Ghz), with 1 or 2 GB of RAM running OSX?

The theory is that MC would integrate into OS X pretty seamlessly? I only use audio functionality.
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up