INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist challenge :D  (Read 1232 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Smartlist challenge :D
« on: January 03, 2009, 04:30:15 am »

I've tried, and failed thus far, to create the following results from smartlists:

Show all duplicate tracks in a library (ie same [artist] and [name]) that have entries with different ratings.

And observe the following rules:

IF all duplicate tracks have the same rating then don't show them at all, but

IF ANY duplicate tracks have different ratings then show all duplicate tracks and ratings so they can be corrected en masse.

The first bit is easy but it's the additional rules that have me stumped.

I don't think it's possible to achieve.

Anybody?

Cheers,

Mark

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Smartlist challenge :D
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 08:55:09 am »

This should work:
Make a smartlist using
[media type]=audio ~dup=[artist],[name],[rating]

Make a second smartlist using
[media type]=audio Playlist - is not any - choose smartlist made in step 1 ~dup=[artist],[name]

-marko.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 09:45:14 am »

*Very* close, Marko, but not quite there.

I have four copies of A-Ha's 'Take on Me' in my library (compilation albums).  Only one currently has a rating, leaving the other three with empty ratings.  None of these tracks show up in the result set of your rules so I would be unaware of the ratings mismatch between the files...

Mark

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 12:52:54 pm »

Hmm.. not really very close at all seeing as the a-ha scenario is not limited to non-rated files, and the list would be just as false if two of the a-ha files were rated three, one of them two and the other four...
The two and four versions would list but not the three versions.
This is because we cannot currently compare the tags in one file with those of another outwith the ~dup and ~nodup modifiers.

This might be closer though...
[scrubbed - it was miles off!!]

The best I can come up with after that then is this...

If you make a smartlist using:
[Media Type]="audio" ~dup=[artist],[name] ~nodup=[artist],[name],[rating] ~dup=[artist],[name] ~sort=[Name],[Artist]

It will list two of the four a-ha tracks, the rated one and one of the unrated ones. Rate the unrated one to match the rated one and hit refresh...
Far from ideal, but a lot more reliable... perhaps... :)

-marko.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 01:25:14 pm »

It will list two of the four a-ha tracks, the rated one and one of the unrated ones. Rate the unrated one to match the rated one and hit refresh...
Far from ideal, but a lot more reliable... perhaps... :)

-marko.

Thanks for trying.  It good to know you were beaten too(!) as it means my 10 hours+ of failed experimentation is less likely to mean I was genuinely stumped, but rather that MC won't allow us to do this.  I ended up pretty much where you did, but by using more smartlists.  This is the limit i've hit in a number of similar smartlists and I do exactly what you mention, update, refresh, update, refresh etc.

I think we've hit a limitation in what smartlists are currently capable of.  And in particular when including other smartlists or working with duplicates because MC seems to ultimately work on the filename as the unique identifier for it's logic rather than the fields that exist in the smartlist and thus you are always hobbled.  It would be great if the smartlists could be told to only work on visible fields and thus we could have a smartlist which only contained, say artist=A-ha name=Take on Me and when we ask MC to include any from that smartlist it would include all database entries that match the fields, rather than those that match the base filename for the entry in the smartlist.

Cheers,

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up