INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing Folder.Jpg (it is not where MC says it is)  (Read 1116 times)

skirmash

• Recent member
Missing Folder.Jpg (it is not where MC says it is)
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:45:01 pm »

A happy new year to you all!

So, I am slowly managing my professionally ripped music collection and getting it into MC13. My current issue relates to the handling of the Cover Art. I have read the wiki on the subject but I am not sure why I have an issue.

I have set my file location for cover art to be the same as the music file. While in the process of cleaning up some of the tags, I have used the library option to move the files based upon the updated artist information. I also scanned new cover art. A quick browse through my music folder with Windows Explorer showed that some of the folders had no art in them. I opened up Music Center again and it says the art is in the folder, but it clearly isn't. It does not appear to be embedded in the files (fortunately), so how do I go about locating it?

I understand that there are strong opinions about using the folder.jpg approach, but I am locked into that for some reasons that are not related to MC.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Ash

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Missing Folder.Jpg (it is not where MC says it is)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:40:48 am »

If the folder.jpg file is missing, you'll have to find it manually or use the Cover Art > Get From Internet tool inside Media Center to get art.

In the future, you may need to be careful moving folders if you use side-car files.  Current "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" doesn't move side-car files unless you keep them imported and select them to be moved as well.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

skirmash

• Recent member
Re: Missing Folder.Jpg (it is not where MC says it is)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:54:16 pm »

Thanks. When you say ..

....In the future, you may need to be careful moving folders if you use side-car files.  Current "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" doesn't move side-car files unless you keep them imported and select them to be moved as well.

I am not sure I understand what you are implying I need to do with the 'unless ....' part of the statement. How do I 'keep them imported'. I am using the 'Rename and Move' option, but is there something that specifically would enable me to move the Folder.JPG as well?

A couple of things I have also noticed which may be something I am doing, or could be software issues ...

1) It is interesting that if you choose to edit the data before you rip a CD, that while the folder names in the displayed file path correct themselves as you change the album or artist, if you edit the track names, then the displayed file names do not correct themselves before ripping. When ripping actually takes place, the files are correctly named - it just appears like they might not be pre-rip. A minor point admittedly but being in software development myself - I am OCD about such things ;)

2) I have noted some interesting locking issues when using the move. Sometimes, it appears that MC13 does not release its lock on the old folder which no longer contains any files except the folder.jpg (see my initial question). When I attempt to delete the folder in Windows Explorer, MC still has a lock on it. This does not happen every time and I have yet to establish the exact sequence of events that causes it. The remedy is to shut MC down at which point it releases the lock and I can delete the folder. I am beginning to wonder if this is caused by some reference to the folder.jpg in the old folder, even though MC incorrectly says the the coverart was moved.

One final question, I noticed that when I rip a number of CDs, the ripping log only appears when I attempt to close the app. Is there a way of displaying the log automatically at the end of each individual rip cycle?

Many thanks, and if its any consolation for answering all my questions, on the back of the quality of the app and the support here, I have decided to purchase it! It is a fantastic app.

Ash
Pages: [1]   Go Up