INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burn data CD size problem  (Read 1242 times)

Blackwood85

• Recent member
Burn data CD size problem
« on: July 21, 2002, 11:27:08 am »

I recently tried to back up a 681.7 MB avi file to a 700 MB CD. MJ correctly noted the size of the file but also indicated that the file was 1.6 MB oversized! I burned anyway as when I b/u with HP record now I can generally get up to a file size of 717MB on a 700 MB disc. MJ copied the entire file to the CD without error.Perhaps this is a bug that could be fixed, if not does anyone know a way to tell if a file is really to large to be completely backed up using MJ ?
Win XP
P4 1.5gh
Ram 768

sekim

RE:Burn data CD size problem
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2002, 12:20:15 pm »

MJ has a built in overhead of 25 MB. There is, unfortunatly, no way around this. Keep this number in mind when burning any type of disk.

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2002, 12:59:27 pm »

MH:

In other words, MJ reports about 25MB less available space than actually exists? Sorry to be dense - 14% less cranial capacity today.

HTH

sekim

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2002, 01:07:42 pm »

HTH,

Yes. There was a thread not long ago where JohnT specified this was 23 MB. But, with one of the last builds it was changed to 25 MB. You can look at the build threads and see which one it was. Maybe from 320 onward.

Blackwood85

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2002, 02:11:58 pm »

Thanks for the help. At least I have some rough guidelines to work with. Do you Know if MJ will prevent you from burning if the file actually is to large to fit on the CD ?
Win XP
P4 1.5gh
Ram 768

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2002, 03:00:18 pm »

Blackwood85

there was a change in the recent builds, i think due to some testing i did and found that the reserved space for closing the cd was not quite what it should be.

make sure your using MJ 8.0.333
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2002, 03:05:31 pm »

And if you have to use Generic burning, a two second gap is added to each song plus having to close each one (I don't know if that's part of the two seconds or added to it) plus closing the disk. I use every bit of that 25 MB. No pun intended.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2002, 04:50:51 am »

The 25MB overhead is only for data CD's. It's approximate because different media/burner combinations have different actual capacities. MJ will let you try a burn no matter how much over-capacity it thinks you are.

- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up