INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is creating views in Theater View supposed to be this hard?  (Read 1131 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Is creating views in Theater View supposed to be this hard?
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:45:37 pm »

I am spending hours trying to create simple theater views for my video library.  My MC12 library was perfect, and none of that apparently works in MC13.  Theater view lists all video files with no organization.  I have tried in vain to create a couple of views, but I cannot make any sense of the editing.  I will create a view and define a rule to only use a certain genre, for example, but the result is not filtered.  All files still show up.  I think I understand nesting, and I can create a hierarchy that I want to use, but again, none of the filtering works, so all views show the same files!  And the worst is that the wife is not happy with not having accessible video for her and the kids!

Is there an easy way to set these up, or to revert to the old MC12 default view schemes?  I am also in favor of linking the standard view schemes to theater view.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Is creating views in Theater View supposed to be this hard?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 04:50:56 pm »

When you enter Theater View's Video, the main roller will allow you to pick between the views you have created.  So with the Obsidian skin, pick Enter on Video, down, then left or right.

A way to copy a view from Standard View to Theater View will be available in the coming weeks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 05:47:31 pm »

A way to copy a view from Standard View to Theater View will be available in the coming weeks.

Good news!
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:20:07 pm »

That's good.  While I do like the power of MC, I find myself being a simple guy who wants literally, one view for each media type.  I thrive in clean workspace and seeing lists of views, cluttered playlists, etc. just irritates me.  So I always end up deleting all the default items and spending a good 10 - 30 minutes setting up my views & playlists, which there aren't many of.

Now if the interface allows for it, things are a bit different.  If different view schemes in theater view were more easily accessible, especially to the less tech savy, they might be useful.  The problem is that if I go change one, the next user is going to be horribly confused.  So, I said it would be worth thinking listing the actual view scheme items one by one, one after another, so there isn't a switch between multiple views but rather, just a list of them.  This way, there is consistency and everyone is used to scrolling.  So the top row would be my grouped artist names (A-B,C-D), then some space and a line with grouped album titles (A-B,C-D).

Of course this is sort of like combining multiple views to one display for simplicity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up