INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intelligent Playlists?  (Read 1844 times)

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
Intelligent Playlists?
« on: January 29, 2009, 10:51:20 am »

I have searched the forum for information related to my question but have come up empty.

I am in search of some software that will allow me to produce some music CDs that sound really good.  Under very normal conditions where all the tracks have sufficient quiet time between tracks, Windows Media Player is adequate.  Most of the time, I need greater control of the transition between songs than WMP provides and I'm hoping that Media Center 13 will be the solution I'm seeking.

I need software that will allow me to control how I transition from song to song on a song by song basis.  That's to say a crossfade from track 1 to 2, a standard gap between 2 and 3, a fade from 3 to an immediate start of 4, etc.

All suggestions will be very much appreciated.  Requests for clarification will be promptly responded to.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Intelligent Playlists?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:15:49 am »

Sorry, but track transitions can only be configured per-burn, but not per-track.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 11:47:15 am »

Any hope that this capability might be included in a future release?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:50:22 am »

You can do that by first creating temporary wave files in the Disk Writer output mode.

You would need to change the track transition settings for each different set of files separately.

That's to say a crossfade from track 1 to 2, a standard gap between 2 and 3, a fade from 3 to an immediate start of 4, etc.

To get what you want
- Select the Disk Writer output mode and set it to create separate track files.
- Add the first two tracks to Playing Now, set MC to use smooth cross-fade and play the tracks. MC will quickly create the first two wave files (it will decode the files at the maximum possible speed).
- Then set MC to use aggressive cross-fade, place only the next two tracks in Playing Now and play them.
- etc.

Before burning the CD you may want to preview the track transitions by playing them in the standard output mode. You can simply drag the wave files to Playing Now and play them. Set the output to "gapless" and untick the "remove silence" setting.

In case you would like to add a second or two of silence after a certain track you can do it with MC's wave editor (right-click the file and select Send To > Send To (External) > Media Editor). In Media Editor place the cursor at the end of the file (you can press the End key on the keybard) and use the generate silence tool (top menu > Generate > Silence...)

After you have finished you can drag the files to the burn queue and burn the audio CD. Remember to set the burner to create gapless (= unaltered) track transitions and disable the "omit silent sections" setting if you had it enabled.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:55:28 am »

Thanks very much!  That's a great idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up