INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you EDIT a POP out of a ripped mp3 using Audacity?  (Read 1868 times)

malcolmm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Wad Up! I'm a simple man :)
Can you EDIT a POP out of a ripped mp3 using Audacity?
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:04:12 am »

Is this possible? I tell you I'm pretty ignorant.

My life is learning curve and struth the backs of my legs are sometimes so sore  :P

I'm using AudaCity to rip the mp3 from record to pc and as you know there is the occasional pop - my records are beautiful - colour coded; good, fair, stuffed. I mostly only attempt a rip with my red dot records (good).

When I was younger I had two rega planers one for "good" the other for the rest. This was a stylus related issue.

Wit the mp3 it's so easy to see the "pop" in the chart. Maybe there's a tool for grabbing hold of it and clipping the top off?

If you guys can shed any light on pop removal it would be very helpful.

Cheers, Mal from Cessnock Au
Cheers, Malcolm

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can you EDIT a POP out of a ripped mp3 using Audacity?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 12:12:44 pm »

There is a click removal tool in Audacity.   Select an interval including the pop and use the Effect menu / Click removal command.

One point about MP3 files.  There is generation loss when you edit an MP3 file and save the output to an MP3 file.  (The compression losses add up.)   It is better to transfer your LPs to WAV or Flac files initially so that there is no loss.  Edit those files to remove pops and clicks.  When you are through editing, you can save the result to MP3 files.  Or save them as WAV or Flac files if you want the best sound on your PC. 

You can store tag values in Flac files and they will be recognized by JRiver MJ/MC and by other players.  (There isn't a widely supported standard for tags in WAV files.)

Bill

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 08:19:58 pm »

Can you output FLAC in Audacity?  Thankfully, I know you can load in a FLAC file as I have done this many times--very handy to drag right from MC to Audacity without having to locate file.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 10:07:56 pm »

Yes you can ... see http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=FLAC. I've one done several flac join and exports with both Audacity & Audition. As far as pop removal goes, I do a manual removal as long as there isn't too many. Just zoom way until you see the data points, then smooth it out by dragging the points around.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 10:19:39 pm »

Can you output FLAC in Audacity?  Thankfully, I know you can load in a FLAC file as I have done this many times--very handy to drag right from MC to Audacity without having to locate file.

The last time I checked the audacity site, the stable version didn't output Flac but a beta version did.  I tired that. MC takes a long time to import Flac files made by Audacity.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up