INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying DVDs (VOB Files) - 'Nother Dumb Newbie Question  (Read 1247 times)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
Copying DVDs (VOB Files) - 'Nother Dumb Newbie Question
« on: January 23, 2009, 08:29:16 pm »

If I copy a DVD to my HD using... whatever... CloneDVD (what I'm using)... or DVD Shrink or DVD Fab... and I make sure that it's an exact replica of the actual DVD (not compressed in any way), is the copy "exact"? 

i.e., it's not dependent on whatever codecs are installed or not installed on that given machine where the copying occurred? 

So, if I move it to another machine, any differences in output is solely dependent on the decoding capability of that other PC?

::)

I'm sure if I come back and read this months from now, I'll realize how dumb it sounds...

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Copying DVDs (VOB Files) - 'Nother Dumb Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:42:12 pm »

According to the CDVD site, it makes 1:1 (no compression) copies unless you tell it otherwise. It's not a perfect copy because the copy protection is stripped out, else it would be unplayable. For a LONG time, DVD Decypter allowed you do things (like rip to disc) that no other program could.

FYI: You can do some neat things with Linux and MPlayer from the command line.

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 09:38:50 am »

Thanks.

So, copies of the same DVD, made on different machines, using the same software (DVD Decrypter) are identical?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:25:26 am »

Generally yes, so long as you don't use any of the "Fit to 1 DVD-R" modes in the rippers.  They should be a bit-level copy of the disc, with only the encryption and  intentionally added bad data removed from the video streams.

Also, you'll be best served using a newer (and still being updated) ripping application, like DVD Fab Decrypter, than an old one like DVD Decrypter (which the author abandoned some time ago).  There are a few newer forms of "copy protection" that DVD Decrypter can't handle.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:16:21 pm »

Thanks, appreciate that.  I'm currently using 'CloneDVD' and it's working pretty well.  I know I used DVD Decrypter maybe a year or two ago and liked that too, but I know what you mean about it not being updated.

I'll check out DVD Fab.
Pages: [1]   Go Up