INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Separate "locked" List Styles on Different Views?  (Read 2239 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Separate "locked" List Styles on Different Views?
« on: January 24, 2009, 09:34:53 am »

Me again, with another dumb newbie question.......

I'm trying to increase the WAF for switching from MCE to MC13. So far so good, but simplicity is key. A quick review of what options/functions my wife actually uses reveals a pretty simple set of requirements, conditioned in part by the way XP MCE works.  All of this being in Theater View of course.....

Ideally, I need the shortest possible path to specific views, which look "right" when you get there. Let me explain...

The two most commonly views for us are Audio Artist and Audio Album. Ideally, I'd like these on the "home" page, but I can't see a way of doing that, so we're down to the Audio page. I'm happy with the switching between views at this point, but all of the views have the same List Style.  I'd prefer to have Albums in one List Style (big cover art), and Artists in the text list or multiple Album strip style. I know it's no big deal to go to More and Toggle List style, but it get to be a pain if you do it every time you switch from one view to another.

So, is there any way to set the initial List Style for a View, so that it defaults to that list style, (or remembers the last List Style used) for a specific View.

Thanks for the help, so far you guys have been great.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Separate "locked" List Styles on Different Views?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 10:17:46 am »

you can set that only for each media type. this is one of the features that disappeared to make Theater View more user friendly   ::). in enough ways Theater View is more configurable in version 12. i agree that it should be nice if it would remember the settings per view as it did in 12.

:)
gab

gappie

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 10:38:52 am »

Me again, with another dumb newbie question.......
and dont worry. the question is not dumb, and even when so, there are people with more then 1500 posts that have made a habbit of it. you know that smoking cat....

gab

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 02:31:36 pm »

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I really like the product, but I'm not quite sure how making the interface less tailored is making it more user friendly. Compared to some of the other (great) flexibility under the hood of theater view, I'd have thought this one was a "keeper". But you're closer to this than I'll ever be.

Keep up the good work.

PS, can you point me in the direction of any material about handling multiple tag values in the Artist field?

gappie

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 06:24:01 am »

PS, can you point me in the direction of any material about handling multiple tag values in the Artist field?
with multiple tags you mean something like dylan and the band as tag for the same album? like bob dylan;the band.
if so, there are several ways to handle that. one is to make your own field call artists, and make that field a list field. the pros of this system is that i can use the artist field for what is on the cover, so for instance the bill frisell band, the bill frisell new quartet, john scofield & bill frisell. and i can put all those under bill frisell in the artists field and the last one i also add john scofield. but there are more options, if you are consequent in the naming of the multiple artists. here is one:http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47480.0
i think. there has been more discussions on the boards and some different solutions.

gab

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:47:45 am »

you can set that only for each media type. this is one of the features that disappeared to make Theater View more user friendly   ::). in enough ways Theater View is more configurable in version 12. i agree that it should be nice if it would remember the settings per view as it did in 12.

MC13 remembers less list views than 12?? Even more stuff that have been removed? This is unbelivable. I'm wondering how long I have to stick with MC12 :(
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 12:53:46 pm »

Personally, I'd have thought that this was a big selling point for MC if you could increase the range of possible list styles, and link/lock them to specific views. Hell, everything else seems to be configurable.....  :)

Yes, from a usability persepctive, there is plenty of scope for screwing it up, but better that than putting people off the product, as is the case for me and Gappie.  I'll be having a better look an MC12......

)p(

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 03:47:07 pm »

Personally, I'd have thought that this was a big selling point for MC if you could increase the range of possible list styles, and link/lock them to specific views. Hell, everything else seems to be configurable.....  :)

Yeah...it can be frustrating especially because the backend is so powerful. This issue and not being able to mix mediatypes in theaterview keeps me from upgrading to mc13. Lets hope we get them back like nesting. Still to be honest I am a bit disheartened by the fact that features I rely on can so easily be gone from version to version.

peter

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 04:15:44 pm »

Yeah...it can be frustrating especially because the backend is so powerful. This issue and not being able to mix mediatypes in theaterview keeps me from upgrading to mc13. Lets hope we get them back like nesting. Still to be honest I am a bit disheartened by the fact that features I rely on can so easily be gone from version to version.

peter

I totally agree Peter. That important things like this can just dissappear in a new version, is quite frankly dissapointing and a bit scary. I think it will be a long time before I can go to MC13 my self, and it's not fun at all when you see all the other improvements in Theater View. There are several people, including me, who posted that a more granular List style remembering would be appreciated. A way of getting different styles on each level. And now it's just totally gone?
And the ability to mix content have also been stripped. This is important things for many of us, and I really hope it will come back. The admins told us that they would look at the mixt content problem later, but did not have time in a few weeks. I really hope that this is also a thing that will be thought of in the process.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 04:32:57 am »

I started all this by looking at MC13 because I found MCE too limiting and inflexible. Having had a chance to look at MC12 for the first time, I think it would be very difficult to go there instead. I'm sure MC12 is incredibly feature rich and flexible, BUT I'm only really interested in Theater View.

I can't see how you can change the Theater Audio views in MC12?

)p(

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 06:50:45 am »

I can't see how you can change the Theater Audio views in MC12?

In the normal view for audio just flag the include in theaterview option for each view scheme, then they wil show up under audio in theaterview also with mc12.

peter

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 04:30:37 pm »

I'm sorry )p(, but I'm not quite sure what you mean.

From Customise view, I got the Confirm View Scheme Changes dialogue, and said yes. Got the Customise View option, and said yes.

But I don't know what I'm them looking for in Theatre view.

I'm probably being dumb, but any help woudl be appreciated.

)p(

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 12:16:21 am »

Sorry I should have provided more details of the procedure:

- In standard view select the audio icon to fold out the audio view tree.
- Right click on a view in the tree and select edit view scheme.
- In the popup window look for: step 3: Modify Properties.
- Flag "Show in Theater View" there.
- Repeat for all the views you want to see in theater view in mc12.

peter

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 04:03:59 am »

Thanks for the additional info, I've not much time this week (on the road) but I'll try and have a look tonight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up