INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why build 112 is smaller  (Read 1454 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Why build 112 is smaller
« on: January 24, 2009, 09:57:07 am »

Build 112 is smaller than most of the previous builds.  Some packages, mainly Windows related, are now downloaded on demand.  Help has moved to a Wiki.

For reference...

13.0.106 was 21.6MB

13.0.112 is 13.8MB  (64%)

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
Why build 112 is smaller
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:26:09 pm »

Is there any way to 'pre-load' potentially downloaded support files?

I'm thinking of situations where a machine will has intermittant and/or unreliable internet access.

Maybe adding an install option to 'go get everything' as well as an after-install 'go get/refresh everything' would be one way to accomlish this.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Why build 112 is smaller
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 05:00:17 pm »

Is there any way to 'pre-load' potentially downloaded support files?

I'm thinking of situations where a machine will has intermittant and/or unreliable internet access.

Maybe adding an install option to 'go get everything' as well as an after-install 'go get/refresh everything' would be one way to accomlish this.

Support files are only downloaded, if needed, at install time.  These are all one-time needs, like updating the DirectX 9 tools library.

The only exception is the help file, which is now always online.  You can print from the wiki if you want though.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: Why build 112 is smaller
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 05:12:04 pm »

What might be useful would be a wiki page of which components MC may try to download and for what reason,
as if you've got a machine that doesn't have net access, maybe a box under the telly or something, whether it's at install time or run time you're still not going to be able to download them.  I for one welcome our new found smaller installer friend however.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 05:22:29 pm »

What might be useful would be a wiki page of which components MC may try to download and for what reason,

Sorry.  Life is too short.  Some of the components were Windows components that fixed problems that are probably also now fixed in XP SP3 and in Vista.  Windows Media updates and DRM updates, for example.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:07:30 pm »

Thanks for the info there.  It's nice to see that MC developers are getting very (!!!) smart on how-to's regarding compact installs, being independant of OS load/condition, etc, etc.

A few dedicated users out on the 'nets have built up complete, up to date DirectX quick installers that come in at the 7Mb range and smaller.  The same situation applies to .Net v1/2/3/3.5 too.  These packages are well debugged (and occasionally refered to by MSFT themselves) and are used by many, many thousands of people.  JR might think about providing links to those other forums as they do for the CCCP and Klite codec/player packages.
Pages: [1]   Go Up