INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble Playing HiRes AIFFs  (Read 1677 times)

filmfan214

• Recent member
Trouble Playing HiRes AIFFs
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:56:16 am »

Only recently download Jukebox, and also recently bought a USB DAC (Cayin iDAC) - so I'm not sure if my problem is with J River, the DAC, or Windows Vista.

I downloaded two sample songs (a 16/44 and 24/96) to compare from this site: http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/format.htm
They both played fine.

I also downloaded 5 sample .aiff files from Kent Poon's Design w Sound blog (here: http://www.designwsound.com/dwsblog/?page_id=1008). This is where I started having problems. The two 16/44 songs play fine, but I can't get the other three (two 24/96 and one 24/192) to play in J River Jukebox. These three will not import into my library, and when I navigate to them using the "Drives and Devices" drop down, they will not play that way either. Curiously, these three are listed as "Video" in the "Media Type" column.

When I try to play them I get an "Unsupported File Type" pop up, followed by another pop up saying "Media Jukebox was unable to play any of these files. Please make sure the path in Media Library points to the right location and that the files are not being filtered by Access Control".

I tried opening them in VLC media player and they all opened and played.

Other info:
J River settings: I have my output mode set to "Direct Sound" and selected my USB DAC in the Output Mode Settings (though I don't think selecting "Primary Sound Driver" makes any difference - can someone explain what this is for?). I'm not using any DSP settings, but I did try checking the Output Format box in DSP studio to ensure it would play the source bit depth and sample rate - is this necessary or does J River automatically play the source bit depth and sample rate without checking this box?

Windows settings: I've disabled all but my USB DAC as audio outputs.

DAC: I'm afraid this might be my problem but there is so little information on the web (or in the manual) about the iDAC. I'm wondering if maybe it can't handle these bit depth/sampling rates. However, I was able to play the 24/96 wav from the Sound Keeper Recordings site.

I would love it if someone could try to download these Kent Poon samples and see if they work. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Trouble Playing HiRes AIFFs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:13:07 pm »

AIFF is played using Directshow filters installed on your system.  I'm not certain if high-resolution formats are supported by default filters.

Any chance you could use APE, WAV, or FLAC -- all of which are lossless and fully supported at high-resolutions inside Media Jukebox?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

filmfan214

• Recent member
Re: Trouble Playing HiRes AIFFs
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:31:16 pm »

Thanks for your help, Matt. That worked. I'm glad it was so simple.
Pages: [1]   Go Up