INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Configuring Theater View in 13.0.114 (or later)  (Read 4382 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Configuring Theater View in 13.0.114 (or later)
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:03:39 am »

Regarding Theater View customization, root library views are a little different.  They show a roller of child views.  You can't put categories (i.e. Genre / Artist / Album) into them.

You need to add one or more child views and customize the categories in the child view.
Well I tried configuring Theatre View some more and I am totally confused.
No matter what I do, I do not see the ability to customize categories in the Tools\Options\Theater View dialog.
I have tried adding a child view from standard view, and I have tried creating a new theatre view and nesting it to make it a child.
I must be missing some basic concept.
Exactly where is the customize category u/i for theater views? Any chance someone could put up a screen shot?

rjm

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:37:02 pm »

Thanks. That's what I expected to see, but I don't.

In Items To Show when I click Add I get choice of "Library View" or "Library View From Standard View" but I never get option to add a field like Genre.

And on the right side, I never see the box below View Name with the Add/Edit/Remove options.

Don't know if this has something to do with it but I have customized Audio/Images/Video views to be All/Music/Movies and have overidden default media types for each.

Something is clearly wrong on my system or else I am stupid.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 02:46:52 pm »

Thanks. That's what I expected to see, but I don't.

In Items To Show when I click Add I get choice of "Library View" or "Library View From Standard View" but I never get option to add a field like Genre.

And on the right side, I never see the box below View Name with the Add/Edit/Remove options.

Don't know if this has something to do with it but I have customized Audio/Images/Video views to be All/Music/Movies and have overidden default media types for each.

Something is clearly wrong on my system or else I am stupid.

Try this:

1) On the left, pick Add > Library View
2) On the left, pick Add > Library View
3) Ensure that the second view is nested under the first view (use the "Nest" button if necessary)
4) Select the second, nested view
5) On the right, pick Add...
6) You should see a dialog listing components like Genre, Artist, etc.

Remember that root views (views that are not nested) are different and do not have components on the right.

It's very possible there's a bug so I'm just trying to understand what might be different.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rjm

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 03:04:30 pm »

ok, making headway

Adding Library View twice worked. And I can customize categories.

Something is still not right. If I create view hierarchy that looks like:

Views
   Movies
   Music

Then go to Theatre View and select Views, all I see is Movies. I never see Music view.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 03:27:20 pm »

ok, making headway

Adding Library View twice worked. And I can customize categories.

Something is still not right. If I create view hierarchy that looks like:

Views
   Movies
   Music

Then go to Theatre View and select Views, all I see is Movies. I never see Music view.

when you click on views, where you placed the movies and music views under, in the window where you make the Theater View views. on the right you also get 'set rules for files display' click on that and make sure you have audio and video enabled...
or were they already?
 :)
gab

rjm

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 03:51:41 pm »

when you click on views, where you placed the movies and music views under, in the window where you make the Theater View views. on the right you also get 'set rules for files display' click on that and make sure you have audio and video enabled...
or were they already?
gab
Yes they are enabled.
Making more progress.
I did not understand that when I selected Views I needed to look at next line below to see choices of Movies and Music. I was expecting to see Movies and Music as icons on main display.
I did observe non-repeatable bug. First few times I clicked first category nothing happened. Then magically it started to work.
I think I am in business now.
Thanks everyone.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Configuring Theater View in 13.0.114 (or later)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 06:23:10 pm »

If you use the stock system for a while with the Obsidian skin, you may better understand what's happening.

The root is a placeholder (but can define file inclusion rules).  For example, "Audio" in the default layout.

When you view the root, you get a roller of child views.  For example, "Artists" or "Albums" in the default layout.

If you want to get fancy, those child views can have their own child views which show up as folders inside a view.

I'm not sure how to make this more clear in the configuration dialog.  Suggestions are welcome.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 06:56:28 pm »

This picture may help:

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 08:32:47 pm »

I'm not sure how to make this more clear in the configuration dialog.  Suggestions are welcome.

You could have panes to show each level. So there would be two panes of "items to show". The second would only need to display when you choose to "Nest" a view. It would disapear again when you click on a view in the first pane that doesn't have any children. Likewise a 3rd pane would show if you choose to "Nest" a view within a view.

"Set rules for display" is a global thing so should be on it's own line. The step 1,2,3 of previous options windows would work well.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 08:42:22 pm »

I added Youtube, vimeo, flickr and South park studios to my theater view last night. Very nice (if you have a mouse or trackpad).

One small thing though. It would be good if there were web navigation controls in the second roller. Especially "Back", but also "Stop" and "Refresh".

)p(

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 12:30:28 am »

Personally I found it very straightforward and logical. It was obvious to me that roots are different because they don't have the view items box. I guess you could, for roots, replace "View name:" with "Root View Name:". Another option would be to keep the view items rectangle and grey it out with some descriptive text inside about this being a root item. Although the latter would look much less clean than how it is now.

peter

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 10:40:39 am »

I've read through this thread and others discussing theater view...and so far I can't figure it out.

After reading the changes to this build, I thought maybe I could have a theater view that would resemble my standard library views.... but maybe I can't.  Here's what I'd like to start with in theater view.

1. A root "VIDEO" item .... which is already there..OK.  It gathers all files with a type of video...I get that.

2. A nested view (item?) under VIDEO called "TV Shows".... I want the "name" of the file and the "date created"... in a list, sorted by "date created".

I added an "item to show" called TV Shows, nested it under VIDEO, and set the rules to select all my recorded TV files (by path).  This works, but theater view only shows large icons... or a list of names with thumbnails.  I can't get a view with two columns (names and dates).  What is the purpose of the "item details" box (to the right of the options window)?  I thought mayby this was where you could identify fields to view, but it doesn't appear to be the case.  I'd appreciate an explanation to help clear it up for me.  thanks!

gappie

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 10:51:33 am »

badger, i nearly always use an extra layer in theaterview. one thing you could do is add an other item. make it an expression [name] - [date created]. you could also try to change the names in the filepath. but that is a bit more complicated. this would change the name in the last step.
how does your library see that something is a tv show?

gab

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 11:02:01 am »

Thanks.  OK, so I create an expression with [date created] - [name] and add it to the "item details" box?  I'll try that.  I identify my recorded TV Shows by their location (filename-path).

gappie

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 11:08:35 am »

Thanks.  OK, so I create an expression with [date created] - [name] and add it to the "item details" box?  I'll try that.  I identify my recorded TV Shows by their location (filename-path).
indeed to the items details part.

what i ment with how to identify the tvshows. i mend how does the library see that it is a file path. ofcource this could be done with filepath, just wondered if you use somethingselse.
but in the filecaption (thv-advanced-filecaption) you could make something like: if(isequal([media sub type],tv show,1),[name] - [date created],[Name]) . this will give you the name - date created on the last level when it is a tv show (if it is set by the media sub type, but i know nothing about tv shows so  :) )

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 11:23:10 am »

Not sure what "file caption" does, or what you mean by "last level", but the expression works great...Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up