INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD ripping folder rule wildcards  (Read 1196 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
DVD ripping folder rule wildcards
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:35:30 pm »

My goal here is to customize the perfect DVD ripping folder rule (Options > File Location) which will populate as much tagging information on new DVD imports.  Here is my core Video structure:

//Chenbro/titanium/Video/ [Genre] / (wildcard) / [Name]

Genres: Movies, Television, Home Video

The main reason I need a wildcard there is because the shortest example would be "Movies/Twister" while another example could be "Movies/Matrix/Matrix 1"...as you can see, an extra folder (or two or three) can exist.  These aren't necessarily vital to tagging in any way but they are important.

Unfortunately, my request might be prefaced with a thought of reworking how I organize the data.  This was set up to allow a direct File Locations browse for several unavoidable reasons.  Feel free to chime in on suggestions for a better way to handle this situation...I basically want to setup the easiest browse method possible, which I think I already have, but am tweaking it to fix a few minor inconveniences--the fact that I can't use groupings with file browse.

benn600

Re: DVD ripping folder rule wildcards
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:40:05 pm »

This really is a challenge, it seems.

I was thinking, why not use my music technique: [Artist]/[Album]?  The problem is that for television shows, you have this information:
Artist "Television"
Album "Simpsons"
FOLDER: SEASON 8
Name "Simpsons 8.1" <- season 8, disc 1

I've always preferred a list of seasons first and then a list of the discs.  Perhaps I have to avoid this technique.  If I remove the FOLDER item, it might work.

I do not think it is possible for me to manually edit the tags because my HTPCs need to be able to auto import these DVDs and get all the tagging info from the file structure.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:11:23 pm »

I tag my movies and TV like this:

[Genre] [Series] [Album] [Episode]

For Movies [Album] is the name of the movie (because sometimes the movie was ripped from 2 discs and so there are 2 files).
For TV I use [Album] for the name of the TV show.

For Movies [Series] is the name used for a trilogy or series such as James Bond movies etc.
For TV [Series] is just the number (ie. "Series 01")

Then, even though everything is tagged by episode too, I dont actually include the [Episode] category in any Library views. Instead I sort the very last level of the library view by [Episode] (then [Name] for those files which dont have an episode).

You could easily use those same 5 tags to organize all the files in your library into folders. The only thing is that the order of the categories is different for movies and TV.

For movies it would be: Movies/[Genre]/[Series]/[Album]
And for TV it would be: TV/[Genre]/[Album]/[Series]

You could rename the files to "[Episode] - [Name]".

benn600

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:14:29 am »

Thanks for the write up.  It's a long, slow journey revising my DVD storage and tagging techniques but I think I'm getting closer.  One problem is I have no way to store DVD tags across the different machines and I can now start relying on auto import to add newly ripped content due to recent fixes in MC 114.
Pages: [1]   Go Up