INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble with m4a files. MC or me?  (Read 1945 times)

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
Trouble with m4a files. MC or me?
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:40:40 pm »

I have an m4a file that I can play in MC12 (and a trial version of MC13), but neither program will let me import the file.  I'm just trying to get the file to play in MC with replay gain....

Below are a bunch of details - I don't know which are relevant and which aren't.  Sorry. 

Before I noticed I shouldn't install itunes 8, I installed it.  I also purchased a DRM free song, AAC (not lossless), which is in my itunes directory with an m4a extension.

I followed the instructions for using haali and ffdshow to play m4a using directshow.  This works perfectly my purchased copy of MC12.  In MC12, I have aac included in the file associations.  So I can double click on the file and it plays in MC12, with haali and ffdshow icons showing on the right hand side of the toolbar.  When I try to import the file, it just doesn't work.  I see that there are issues with itunes 8, but I thought they mostly had to do with ipod control, not importing files.

I wasn't sure if there was a change to the file format that was corrected in MC13 but not MC12, so I installed a trial version of MC13.  Same problem, although I also set up MC13 for directshow playback of m4a and haali and ffdshow do NOT show up on the toolbar, so it looks like that is not working for me in MC13 (I also can't show visualization or look at directshow setting during playback of the file in MC13).

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me whether or not I should be able to import itunes 8 m4a files into MC (12 and/or 13).  If not, will this be added?  If so, any idea what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Brett

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Trouble with m4a files. MC or me?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:14:22 am »

We're looking into this...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 01:23:03 pm »

Here are a few things you can look into:

1. Make sure Haali Media Splitter and FFDShow are installed properly.  The best way to install them is probably through CCCP installation.  However, since you said you can play m4a in MC12, using these DirectShow filters, it is likely that they are OK.

2. In either MC12 or MC13, make sure AAC Audio (m4a, aac) are selected for import on "Import Folder" dialog window.  They are not selected by default.

3. Make sure the file type m4a is selected for playback in DirectShow. 
  • In MC12, this is in Tools -> Options -> Video -> DirectShow Playback settings... - make sure you check the check box next to "m4a" from the list under "DirectShow Filters".
  • In MC13, this is in Tools -> Options -> File Types.  Select "AAC Audio (m4a, aac)" under Audio section and choose "JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filters)" from the "Playback Method" drop-down list.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:28:14 pm »

Well, you've confirmed the root of the problem - the operator.   :-[

Once I added aac in folder options, it worked perfectly.  I also got Directshow working in MC13 by making the listed in File Associations (I was surprised the directshow window looked different than MC12, but I could still select the filters even though there wasn't a checkmark (under playback instead of file associations)).

Thanks for the help!

New question, if you don't mind.  Is there a way to save tags to m4a files?  Like rating, replay gain, etc.?  If not, is there a way to convert the files to a better format without re-encoding? 

What I've done in the past is burn the DRM'd songs to CD, then rip to flac.  That gives the same quality, but much larger files.  Now that the DRM is gone, I was hoping to just use the m4a files.  But that isn't a good option if I can't update the tags. 

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:28:22 pm »

Sorry, you can not save tags to m4a files.  You can convert to APE or FLAC.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 11:02:39 pm »

Yaobing-

Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.  It's not clear to me why you don't support tagging of m4a files, though.  Now that itunes is DRM free, is there any reason not to expect a lot of users to want to keep purchased music in that format?  From what I've read, AAC is better than mp3 as a lossy compression algorithm, and re-encoding to ape or flac would just increase the file size without changing the quality - and not work in many portable players.

A quick search found AtomicParsley, which hasn't been updated in several years but still reads the tags from my a recently purchased file.  I was also able to extract the cover art from the m4a pretty quickly with a hex editor.  Are the reasons for not providing better support technical, or politcal?

Please don't take my comments as anything other than genuine curiousity.  You've got a great product I've been using for years.  One of the benefits is the ability to handle so many formats transparently, so I'm surprised to find a popular format that isn't handled as fully as possible.

Brett

JONCAT

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 02:31:19 pm »

I think a lot of potential users are out there, but lack of m4a tagging and iPod support doesn't help. I know it's a lot of work, but there are apps out there that currently work to sync to the newest firmware iPhone. I just bought a whole suite of apps. Being able to use MC again and then transcode from lossless direct to alac/aac with tags is going to bring a LOT of business in as more and more iPod/iPhone users realize how stunted iTunes is. With DRM free, more "serious" users are apt to pick up Apple audio players. my .02 cents

dc

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:19:42 pm »

I agree that m4a must be taken a bit more seriously now that it isnt in such a closed ecosystem. I am even tempted to start buying from itunes. Especially since I can do it from my phone now. The problem is, that I never want to take the files anywhere near itunes on the computer. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to retag the same m4a's in MC after reimporting them.

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 08:27:15 pm »

Forgot about the phone downloads. I was talking to someone the other day about iTunes and they informed me about the DRM being removed. I'll have to check this out. Everything is DRM-free, but costs a little more?

DC

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:52:26 pm »

Yes, everything is DRM free.  If memory serves, the downloads are now 256kbps, when they used to be 128.  With AAC, this is supposed to be very close to original audio quality.  Ok, I'm sure someone is going to argue that point, but 256 has to be better than 128.  I saw that itunes is going from fixed cost to different costs for different songs.  Supposed to be .69, .99 and 1.29 depending on who knows what.  You can also get your old DRM songs in the new format for $.30 each.

I'm not trying to advertise for them, I hate itunes, but it is a convenient way to get single songs.  I'm considering getting some of my DRM downloads in the new format, but I want to be able to use MC for playback....

Brett
Pages: [1]   Go Up