INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faster library load in MC 13.0.115  (Read 1701 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Faster library load in MC 13.0.115
« on: February 02, 2009, 10:57:25 am »

Optimized: Several optimizations that help performance of library and views (example: loading complicated library view with 450,000 album library went from 756 seconds to 19 seconds for about a 40x speedup)

Do you have a test machine with this?  That is beyond words.  <- particularly because I didn't realize you could create a situation that would take 756 seconds!

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: Faster library load in MC 13.0.115
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:25:24 pm »

[...] but a view that uses 14 smartlists the difference is also good to see.

Hm, I tried something like this with my stopwatch:

I have a playlistgroup with 60 smartlists. I never use them as a group, I only use every smartlist alone. But to see if MC got faster I gave it a try. Nothing changed for me! Same time before the update as after.

I don't want to beef, MC is fast enough for me!!

gappie

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:36:44 pm »

Hm, I tried something like this with my stopwatch:

I have a playlistgroup with 60 smartlists. I never use them as a group, I only use every smartlist alone. But to see if MC got faster I gave it a try. Nothing changed for me! Same time before the update as after.

I don't want to beef, MC is fast enough for me!!

dont know if that makes the difference but it is also not as a group, but a view where the smartlists are used for fields using each other to calculate something like it is in this smartlist and not in the otherone. normaly it was about 4 seconds, which was realy cool with me, now it is less then 2, which really is a difference when clicking around. but did not use a stopwatch. just said slowly 21, 22, 23, 24  :) 

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:56:59 pm »

I, too, didn't see any noticeable speed difference.  However, most speed improvement claims do show noticeable differences.  It's true that MC is fast enough for me.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 01:04:38 am »

One of my most useful views here is a view I call "Where is it?"

It combines the main library database with the CD/DVD database and allows me to locate music and pictures wherever they may be, be it backup disc, local drive or audio cd, and it uses 5 expression based panes, a couple of which are quite complex affairs.

This view has always been quite slow to load, something I've lived with as once loaded, the view is oh-so-useful. With these latest optimisations, the view is loading in under two seconds. I never timed the view pre-optimisation, but let me tell you, under two seconds for this view is blisteringly quick, as is initial MC startup with three active tabs.

Quite often, after such dramatic optimisation, something, somewhere gets broken, but apparently, not so this time around. I've tried, but it won't break.
Top drawer work from the developement team on this one.

-marko.

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:27:43 pm »

Just for the record:

At the end of last year, I had to file a complaint:

I have the same "problems". Cover art lookout is off, thumbnails are done, audio analysis is off.

In comparison to MC 12 I wait and wait...
At least 10 seconds to get the album or artist list. Genre is just 2 or 3 seconds.

Around 120'000 files, most of them mp3, some flac, no videos or else. Library backup is 9.5 MB....

Now I change the standard views in a hickup.

Just great work!

Fex
Pages: [1]   Go Up