INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: problems after updating ASPI  (Read 984 times)

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
Help: problems after updating ASPI
« on: July 18, 2002, 09:32:22 pm »

I've updated my ASPI drivers to 4.71. Immediately after my licensed MJ8b320 has stopped detecting my Yamaha CRW2100 as a burner. In addition both my CD drives were in the device list, but no operation could be started on them. To see if the problem also occurred with other players, I've started Real Jukebox which has notified me that the driver in use was a generic one and has suggested to replace it. I've accepted and since then both drives are operational (even on MJ) but I can't extract audio digitally any more from my burner: a terrible noise starts and only stops when I hit the eject button on the drive. I've reinstalled ASPI 4.71 and have reupdated the burner firmware, but the situation has not changed. I've also posted help from Real but they only suggest me to reinstall the drivers (that I've already done).
Has such a problem occurred to someone else? Does anyone have an  idea of possible causes and remedies?
Thanks for any help
Luigi

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.330
Install Path: C:\Programmi\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 807 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 81 MB
Resource Info: System - 47 %, GDI - 47 %, User - 53 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A
Luigi1943

phelt

RE:Help: problems after updating ASPI
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2002, 12:00:08 am »

You should have the ASPI32.sys file, and it should be the same version as the wnaspi32.dll file. Try going to
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?sess=no&cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70
and download and install the version 4.71 package for Windows Millenium.

If that doesn't work (or is exactly what you already tried) you could try extracting the ASPI32.sys file manually to the appropriate directory. For Windows 2000 this is usually C:\WINNT\system32\drivers - sorry, I'm not familiar with Millenium, but it will probably not be too different.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2002, 06:31:46 am »

This was fixed as of build 8.0.329:

10. Changed: MJ adds a registry entry to fix problems with Adaptec ASPI install on Windows 98/ME

Please install the latest version of MJ. Run it. Then reboot your system. Now run MJ again and your cd writer should be visible.

- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

ZRocker

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2002, 06:52:37 am »

Wow...you'd think since he has 8.0.330 installed, it'd be fixed (but I guess that's not right).

Funkstar

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 09:24:41 am »

I use Win2k but had problems with the 4.7 drivers from adaptec. It the CheckASPI included with them said everything was ok, but the GRC checkAPSI said it was broken (which it was). Found ForceASPI and installed that instead (after a complete removal of 4.7 using the adaptec tools) and everything worked as it should again.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 12:10:58 pm »

Wow...you'd think since he has 8.0.330 installed, it'd be fixed (but I guess that's not right).

Oops. I saw his statement about "my licensed MJ8b320" but didn't read the system info below.
Luigi: You've probably already done this, but go into the CD writer settings page and click the "Detect" button. Then exit MJ, reboot your system, and restart MJ. Now see if your burner is "seen" by MJ.

The "ForceASPI" route is a possibility since some systems seem to have problems with the 4.7, 4.71 versions and ForceASPI will install 4.6. You can find it if you do a search on the net.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

sekim

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 02:41:33 pm »

One of the conflicts I was having with ASPI may have been the APIX.VXD file. Seemed like this virtual driver was not updating with the rest of the package. Ran 'Find' from windows and deleted all before I installed the current version JohnT had mentioned.

And a simple 're-start' of windows will not do it. Box must be shut off for the new stuff to take over.

TURBO

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2002, 02:49:06 pm »

Guys, I dont know if this helps, but if you have XP and having problems with ASPI, you might try this. This is a cut and paste from the author. I dont remember where I got it from.

1.  Check you previous installation

* run ASPICHK (included in the aspi_v471.exe )
* if WOWPOST.EXE or WINASPI.DLL show up and you are running winXP then search
  for those files in your windows directory (inc subdirs and hidden files)
  and DELETE them they are not needed for aspi on XP.

2.  install ASPI 4.71 ( or later ) from adaptec

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/
drivers_by_product.html?sess=no&cat=%2fProduct%2fASPI-4.70&prodkey=ASPI-4.70

Use the INSTALL.BAT to install after unzipping to make sure the
correct files only are installed.

3. Windows NT/2K/XP  MUST have these reg keys added if they aren't allready,
otherwise some apps ( EAC, audiocatalyst, CDRWIN )wont show any aspi devices at all :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASPI32\Parameters]
"ExcludeMiniports"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASPI32]
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000002
"Type"=dword:00000001

double click the included .reg file to add these if you are not
experienced editing the registry, as the adaptec installer
currently doesn't set all of these up, this is the source
of everyones problems.

4. reboot.

This has worked on EVERY XP/2K box I've tried
but, if it still doesn't work, try changing "Start"=dword:00000002
to "Start"=dword:00000001 in the .reg file then run it again,
and then reboot.

Yakumo
www.clan-unreal.com

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2002, 08:59:27 pm »

Thanks for all the answers.
Maybe it was not clear from my first post: I first updated ASPI having MJ8b320, but now I'm on b330. All the devices are detected now, but the leftover of all the attempts is the impossibility to extract audio digitally from my burner (which still reads data and burns), while digital audio extraction is possible with my CD/DVD drive.  
If I try to extract audio digitally from the burner a terrible noise starts and lasts until I hit the eject button. So I think that some digital extraction software is now corrupted, but have no idea of which part, and this is the help I need.
Thanks for help
Luigi
Luigi1943
Pages: [1]   Go Up