INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harmony 880 with MC  (Read 3819 times)

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
Harmony 880 with MC
« on: December 22, 2008, 02:12:08 pm »

I've been reading around the net and haven't found an easy way to do this. All I want to do is use my Harmony to control the up, down, left, right, select, and backspace buttons for Threatre View. Maybe Page Up and Page Down. I already have a Logitech keyboard and mouse that work from the living room, but it seems they are RF and the remote is IR so I can't teach the commands.

What's the easiest, cheapeset, way to set up a remote control?

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Harmony 880 with MC
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:02:03 pm »

MC has inbuilt support for the Microsoft Media Center remote. With the Harmony series remotes, the software allows you to download specific remote profiles, one of which is for the Microsoft Media Center remote. I have a Harmony too and it works perfectly.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:36:42 pm »

MC has inbuilt support for the Microsoft Media Center remote. With the Harmony series remotes, the software allows you to download specific remote profiles, one of which is for the Microsoft Media Center remote. I have a Harmony too and it works perfectly.

I imagine this would require a Microsoft IR receiver.

I use a USB-UIRT with JRiver Media Center's built-in remote control plugin support.  This allows using any IR remote (like a Harmony, your old TV remote, etc.).

I'm still looking for a keyboard + mouse + IR learning remote all in one piece.  It seems like PC support is a bit of an afterthought for the Harmony line.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:53:39 pm »

Oops, yes. That was a big assumption on my part I guess. I should have made that clearer  :P
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 11:27:31 pm »

Ok, are the receivers different?  I've got a Ortek (MCE) remote and I can't get my 880 to do anything in MC.
If they are different anybody have a link to one that will work?  Link to my remote below:
Thanks

http://www.ortek.com/prod_detail.asp?pid=127&id=140&ppid=103&cname=Mobility%3E%3ERemote%20Control%3E%3EVRC-1100

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 07:14:48 am »

The receiver from your old remote should work.  The Harmony can always learn commands from your old remote if you can't find the remote in Harmony's software.  Tech support is actually OK for Harmony remotes, as well.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 09:29:44 am »

I assume this is all I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/REMOTE-IR-RECEIVER-for-MICROSOFT-VISTA-Media-Center_W0QQitemZ370048325947QQcmdZViewItem

Wait, what about this one? Doesn't say it includes an IR reviever, but says it controls XP Media Center, so it must, right?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7457986&st=microsoft+remote&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1126591945791

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 09:45:01 am »

looks like it!

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 11:20:55 am »

I use a USB-UIRT with JRiver Media Center's built-in remote control plugin support.  This allows using any IR remote (like a Harmony, your old TV remote, etc.).

I'm still looking for a keyboard + mouse + IR learning remote all in one piece.  It seems like PC support is a bit of an afterthought for the Harmony line.

http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review/1554/gyration-media-center-remote-and-keyboard-review

Here's one but the review is mixed. And for $170, it should also make dinner. But one very cool thing about it is that you can program Swipes on the remote that work like mouse gestures - swipe your hand to the right to advance to next track for example.

Re my last post, I don't think the XBox remote will work, I think the XBox has the IR receiver built in, but this one from Amazon looks like what I need.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Media-Center-Remote-Receiver/dp/B001N7LQRK/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1230052953&sr=8-28

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 09:46:55 am »

I've looked all over and it seems you can't walk into a store and buy a Media Center remote. Even B&H here in Manhattan, which stocks every electronic device ever made, only has it on order, two weeks. This is astounding to me, it's a Microsoft product.

The thing is, I don't even really need the remote, just an IR receiver and I can then tell my Harmony to add the MC remote. But I can't find one of those in an actual store.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 07:38:58 am »

This is a late addition but I'll add anyway.

I had the exact same problem...searched for a IR Receiver that for MCE remote and couldn't find it.  I was lucky enough to find an OEM model remote with receiver that only cost $15 so I bought it.  I have the same Harmony and I beleive I selected Microsoft Media Centre as a default then I was going to remap everything but I didn't need to.  The things works like a charm.

I'm running MC12 and the guide button switches views which is nice, all other functions work that I need it to including scrolling through picture and photo options with the remote while they are playing by pressing down and left / right as needed.  It's money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up