INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing Now / party setup  (Read 1956 times)

rosie

• Recent member
Playing Now / party setup
« on: March 26, 2009, 04:29:59 am »

Hi, I am trying to design the "best" party mode. First of all MC13 is setup so double click adds to the end of Playing Now and Party Mode is enabled to protect changes to files/tags. My screen shows a "2 split view" with Panes to the left (Genre/Artist/Album and tracks underneath) and Playing Now to the right. The left column (which I don't know the right name for but it's the one with Action Window in the buttom) is not showed/minimized.

When I close and re-open MC13 the screen is not the same: 1) In the right split view Panes, not Playing Now, is showed and 2) the left column is showed. Can I make sure the complete screen view is the same the next time I open MC13

Generally speaking do people with MC/party experience agree that this is a good setup?

Thanks for any input!

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Playing Now / party setup
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:14:33 am »

Options->Startup->Startup Interface->Location: Last Location

any difference when you restart ?

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:34:13 am »

Thanks for your input! With "Location: Last Location" and "Mode: Last Exit View" I can get it to remember Playing Now in the right panel (cool!) but the left column pane (what is it called?) is not minimized - maybe JRiver just wants us to see that one...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:44:20 am »

It's called the 'Action' Window and yes, they like it very much :)

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:48:14 am »

Ok, I thought that was "just" the small box down in the left hand corner. Is there no way to minimize it permanetly?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:03:25 am »

Thought you were referring to that, not sure i follow what you mean by 'left column pane'

Any way you can post a screenshot ?

you would need to host it someplace then link to it.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:33:53 am »

I think he is talking about the organisation tree PLUS action window, which both always appear when MC is started.
(Pic stolen from MCs wiki)

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 10:56:56 am »

Exactly! And you said "always" so I guess that one is closed.

Doesn't anybody have input to whetere my suggestion is the "best" party setup? Is there a much cooler way to do it?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 11:08:39 am »

Define "best" ?

Who will be interacting with MC ?

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 11:11:23 am »

yeah, that's why i quoted it... i was just think that maybe we had some super users on the board who had been using MC when throwing parties a couple of times, people who could share some do's and dont's, screen shots whatever...

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 12:06:56 pm »

I used MC for different type of parties (backgroundmusic, dancing music, party music), but I most the time act as the "One and only DJ" ;) So there was no need to have some kind of special setup for me.

If I will use MC for partys in a way you do, I'll be happy that you told us/me, how you use MC.

One of the biggest problems for users not familiar with MC (I think) is using the organisation tree especially when split view is active. Users often don't realize what they are changing (left pane/right pane of split view) when browsing with the organisation tree. So it's a good idea to close the organisation tree and use the split view. I never even thougt of that!

Up to now I always had "Edit playing now in Action Window" active if anyone else handels MC. And no split view. So everyone could easyly browse through my playlists and Playing Now is always visible. But this doesn't bring good results: often they don't realize that this small windows shows the current playlist. They also never know, where to drop or dobble click to make a file instantly or later.

One of the biggest showstoppers for MC as a real party jukebox I think is that it doesn't allow to look a view (see discussion here). If this feature would be implemented, it would be easy to allow party users to browse through playlists without changing eg. one split part which is fixed to playing now. Then you could leave the organisation tree open.

But your configuration is a realy good (and easy) workaround. Thanks for that.

gappie

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 01:10:38 pm »

at parties it depends on what you want. when you really want to be the dj. there is a nice post from alex about how to setup mc for serious djing somewhere (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50518.0). but i like it when people just pick songs and add and thing like that. for that i preferr thv. easey to navigate and to read. and as far as my experience goes, a lot of people enjoy choosing music that way..

but i also have the view split with a small playing now view.. guess it could work nice on parties..

:)
gab

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 02:03:14 pm »

but i like it when people just pick songs and add and thing like that. for that i preferr Theater View. easey to navigate and to read. and as far as my experience goes, a lot of people enjoy choosing music that way..

This is a very good way, out of the box, if you value your library's integrity. Best to keep the uninitiated away from the standard view.

But you can get much more fancy interfaces if you used some of the add-on products by JRiver's partners, like Cinemar's Music lobby make some very nice interfaces that would be perfect in a party situation.

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 12:20:40 am »

Ok, so it sounds like MC's setup/tweaking options do not offer the possibility for a real easy to use party setup but with skins it should be possible to hide stuff so one could design it for the multi user party purpose. Any suggestions for such a skin?
Pages: [1]   Go Up