INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Options available to choose an audio source for TV tuner  (Read 1889 times)

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
No Options available to choose an audio source for TV tuner
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:47:21 pm »

I came across this recently with my TV tuner in Windows 7 (not sure if it appears in Vista and earlier).  TV Tuner should be irrelevant, this is merely picking where the audio line is coming from.

Media Center 13.0.132 Registered -- C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 13\

Workstation 6.1  (Build 7000)
Intel Pentium III 3185 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 4194 MB, Free - 2013 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.7000.0 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.7000 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.1.7000 / Shell32.dll: 6.1.7000 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive J: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S203B   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive J: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B    Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:17  MaxSpeed:17  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Device info dump for 'Generic USB SD Reader (G:)':

WMDMName:
DeviceUID: $$?$usbstor#disk&ven_generic&prod_usb_sd_reader&rev_1.00#058f312d81b&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
CanonicalName: $$?$usbstor#disk&ven_generic&prod_usb_sd_reader&rev_1.00#058f312d81b&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
VendorName: ; VendorID: 1423
ProductID: 25442; FirmwareVersion: 1.00
WMDMSerialNumber: NULL
WMDMWriteOurOwnPlaylists:
DeviceType: 0; DeviceID: 058F312D81B; DeviceName: Generic USB SD Reader; UnsupportedDevice: 0
IsDrive: 1; DriveLetter: G:; DrivePath: ; MainDriveLetter: G:
IsJanusCapable: ; IsIpod: 0;iTunesDBVersion:
SupportsAlbumArt: ; AlbumArtEnabled: 1; CoverArtTagRule: ; SaveCoverArtToFolderJPG:
GetPlayStatsFromDevice: 0; SupportsFolders: -1; PlaylistFormat: 0; EjectMode: ; AlwaysPumpCOMMessages: 0
SupportedFileTypes: *
ContextMenus:
MemoryTypes:
InstallURL:
ApplicationName: Media Center
ImageName: Storage Card
RootBasePath:
AudioBasePath: Music\[Artist]\[Album]\
ImageBasePath: Images\
VideoBasePath: Video\
DataBasePath: Data\
http://davidvedvick.info

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman." - Anonymous

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: No Options available to choose an audio source for TV tuner
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 02:40:36 pm »

There does seem to be a problem.

Here is a work around, which I hope will work for you:

First choose a different entry from "Choose Mixer Device:" list, even if you have to choose an output device, so the "Choose Audio Line:" list gets populated.  Next you can go back to "Line In (High Definition Audio" - hopefully the list of input lines will still be there.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:16:07 pm »

Yao, thanks for the response.  I tried your suggestion, and options appear ONLY if you select the device that is being used as the output device (the default mixer chosen from the 'sound' options in the control panel).  Also, the options that it leaves in the 'Choose audio line' section seem to be the exact same options you were given when choosing the output device (which were 'Master Volume' and 'CD Audio').  I chose both options, went back to 'Line In (High Definition Audio', clicked 'Close' and then went back to watch TV.  No audio is heard.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 08:53:59 am »

Most TV tuner devices do not need the option.  Supposing yours does, the sound is directly sent to the sound card.  You can make sure you get sound by opening Windows Volume Control, and making sure the channel in which the sound cable is plugged is not muted.

Do you have sound problem while playing in normal mode or time-shifting mode?

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 10:28:26 am »

My sound card didn't.... however, a few months ago it started experiencing clipping issues when the sound was coming from the TV card.  So, I've started using the line-out from the TV Card which doesn't produce clipping.

I have no problems with this not being supported by J River, however, if it isn't supported, then why is the option even there?  It's very annoying to me to have something look like its an available option only to find out it doesn't work as expected.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:45:07 pm »

if it isn't supported, then why is the option even there?  It's very annoying to me to have something look like its an available option only to find out it doesn't work as expected.

The option is there only for TV tuners that require connecting a cable from the tuner to the sound card.  Those old TV tuners do not process sound internally.  Instead they route the audio to the sound card.  The result is that when TV is playing, the sound goes to the speakers directly, as long as the particular output channel on the sound card is not muted.  The option in MC is provided so MC can mute that output line during time-shifting - otherwise you would get double sound - the original sound and the time-shifted sound.

Therefore, now that I have thought of it more clearly, your choice for "Choose Mixer Device" should be an output device, not an input device.  So "Line In (High Definition Audio" may not have been the correct choice for you.

I know this is quite confusing, because it is old, there is another place where you may need to look at.  While TV is playing, right-click to get a context menu, and go to "TV Options\Devices", and check the correct audio device.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 12:46:02 pm »

Yao Bing, thanks for the advice!  Unfortunately, the solution you suggested didn't work.  In fact, it seemed to have no effect.  But if this is going to be a deprecated feature, then I will look into getting a TV Tuner that sends better quality audio over the pci(-e) bus better.  Otherwise, I won't be able to timeshift very well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up