INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies with multiple audio tracks  (Read 5464 times)

pwantzel

• World Citizen
Movies with multiple audio tracks
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:47:17 pm »

How do I select the audio track to play when the file  has more than one?  I have an .avi file with the director's commentary track included, and that's the one that plays.  I want the regular audio track.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Movies with multiple audio tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:22:15 pm »

While playing, right click and go to select streams. You should be able to select any embedded subtitle and/or audio tracks there.

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 05:31:10 am »

When I right-click, I get a lot of options, but "select streams" is not one of them. 

This is version 13.0.132 running on WinXP Pro if it matters.  And this is an .avi XVid file.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:48 am »

YOu have to right click in display view (on the video picture itself), and the option is 'stream selection', not 'select streams' as I said before. I just tried it on an xvid avi in XP SP2 using version 13.0.132.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 10:15:03 am »

Hmm... I don't have that option. My experience is that it isn't possible to select the audio stream inside MC when an avi file is played, but maybe that is depended on the used DirectShow setup. What filters do you use?

In the attached screenshot I am playing a file that has three audio streams: the main audio track and two different commentary tracks - all in the original AC3 format and muxed in the avi file. MC plays all three audio streams simultaneously (causing quite a cacophony) and there is no way to select an individual stream.

(You must be logged in to see the attachment.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:43:55 am »

I get the same choices as Alex B.  I tried selecting a couple of other DirectShow filters but it didn't make any difference.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:14:46 am »

You can see which filters I use, and that stream selection is present:

(Sorry, I cannot attach images)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:04:41 pm »

Alex is right.  For mkv and mp4, Haali Media Splitter exposes the interface for stream selection.  The only other filter that I know also exposes the same interface would be the DSFilter, which only allows you to select subtitles, but not audio.

And, of course, you may choose Haali Media Splitter to handle your avi too.  That may be what fitbrit did.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:45:48 pm »

CCCP doesn't recommend enabling the Haali splitter for AVI files for some reason, but apparently the audio stream selection works with it. However, I seem to have a problem with loading the idx+sub (sub in rar) subtitles automatically when using the Haali splitter.

Zoom Player and Media Player Classic (in the attached screenshot) can use their own stream selectors with AVI files. I wonder if it would be difficult add a similar system to MC.

Yaobing,

If you are interested in seeing an avi file with multiple audio streams I created a 30s sample clip of my example avi file. It has three AC3 audio streams. I included also the idx + sub/rar subtitles (the subtitles are in two different languages). The sample clip is available here (it's about 15 MB).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 04:03:01 pm »

I found a page that talks about this.  I plan to try what it says tonite.

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Video_Files_with_Multiple_Audio_Streams

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 04:18:46 pm »

Alex,

Thanks for the sample video.  I have thought about creating an audio switching filter like ZP's, but have not gotten around to do it.  It will still be on my list.  Right now, if avi splitter filter is used to handle this file, all three audio streams are rendered.

Yaobing

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 04:50:38 pm »

I was aware of that page, but I didn't know that MC has now internal support for the FFDShow switcher. To my surprise, the "Stream Switcher" option in the FFDSHow audio decoder creates a right-click menu item to MC and stream selection becomes possible even when the standard MS AVI splitter is used. However, naturally this works only if the FFDShow decoder is used.

Here's the graph info from a setup that works (it is also in the attached picture):

Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
        CLSID: {79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Video Mixing Renderer 9'
        CLSID: {51B4ABF3-748F-4E3B-A276-C828330E926A}
        Input Pin 'VMR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'DirectVobSub (forced auto-loading version)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'VMR Input1'

Filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {0F40E1E5-4F79-4988-B1A9-CC98794E6B55}
        Host: C:\Program Files\CCCP\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)' of filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {00002000-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Input Pin 'In2'
            Connected to pin 'Stream 02' of filter 'AVI Splitter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {00002000-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Input Pin 'In3'
            Connected to pin 'Stream 03' of filter 'AVI Splitter'
        Input Pin 'In4'

Filter 'DirectVobSub (forced auto-loading version)'
        CLSID: {9852A670-F845-491B-9BE6-EBD841B8A613}
        Host: C:\Program Files\CCCP\Filters\VSFilter.dll
        Input Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'VMR Input0' of filter 'Video Mixing Renderer 9'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'Input'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Stream 01' of filter 'AVI Splitter'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'

Filter 'ffdshow Video Decoder'
        CLSID: {04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7}
        Host: C:\Program Files\CCCP\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {44495658-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'DirectVobSub (forced auto-loading version)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Input Pin 'In Text'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Stream 00' of filter 'AVI Splitter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {44495658-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow Video Decoder'

Filter 'AVI Splitter'
        CLSID: {1B544C20-FD0B-11CE-8C63-00AA0044B51E}
        Output Pin 'Stream 00'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        Output Pin 'Stream 01'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        Output Pin 'Stream 02'
            Connected to pin 'In2' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
        Output Pin 'Stream 03'
            Connected to pin 'In3' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
        Input Pin 'input pin'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'C:\Test\Whosafraid\Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.avi'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Stream  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Avi, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE

Filter 'C:\Test\Whosafraid\Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.avi'
        CLSID: {E436EBB5-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'input pin' of filter 'AVI Splitter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Stream  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Avi, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 05:09:55 pm »

I was aware of that page, but I didn't know that MC has now internal support for the FFDShow switcher. To my surprise, the "Stream Switcher" option in the FFDSHow audio decoder creates a right-click menu item to MC and stream selection becomes possible even when the standard MS AVI splitter is used. However, naturally this works only if the FFDShow decoder is used.

That is cool.  We did not specifically add additional support for FFDShow stream switcher.  It must be using the same DirectShow interface for streams.  So we just pick it up.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 06:42:52 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, the CCCP version recommended by MC is quite an old one- last time I checked it was from Feb 2008. Since then ffdshow, Haali etc. have made great strides forward. I usually have great results using Haali splitter for AVI files. I may soon ditch AC3filter and exclusively ise ffdshow audio decoder, as newer versions are said to support HD audio formats and EAC3 natively.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 06:50:19 pm »

If you mean that the Wiki points to the wrong place, please edit it.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 09:58:00 pm »

If you mean that the Wiki points to the wrong place, please edit it.

Hi Jim

No, I didn't quite mean that. CCCP is a collection of codecs, and the wiki may point to the latest version, but the components used in the latest version of the pack aren't necessarily the latest and greatest. I'll stop speculating and go check where CCCP is at now, and whether the MC Wiki is up to date.

Indeed, the latest version of CCCP is from September 2008, but I was only familiar with the Jan 2008 version. Still, many of the filters used in the pack have been updated since CCCP was last released. Double-edged sword, I supposed, since CCCP won't be the latest, but they've probably got a pretty stable set that'll play nice. In my case, I need CoreAVC, otherwise I'd use CCCP/FFDShow for almost everything.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 10:07:41 pm »

Ha! This is very much like my setup, only I must have configured this a LONG time ago. I thought I always had this capability in MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 08:34:36 am »

Hi Jim

No, I didn't quite mean that. CCCP is a collection of codecs, and the wiki may point to the latest version, but the components used in the latest version of the pack aren't necessarily the latest and greatest. I'll stop speculating and go check where CCCP is at now, and whether the MC Wiki is up to date.

Indeed, the latest version of CCCP is from September 2008, but I was only familiar with the Jan 2008 version. Still, many of the filters used in the pack have been updated since CCCP was last released. Double-edged sword, I supposed, since CCCP won't be the latest, but they've probably got a pretty stable set that'll play nice. In my case, I need CoreAVC, otherwise I'd use CCCP/FFDShow for almost everything.
Latest isn't always greatest.  I think they probably update the CCCP components carefully, for the same reason that our public version of MC on the download page is almost never the most recent version.

Congrats on the baby and the job.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 02:03:48 pm »

Latest isn't always greatest.  I think they probably update the CCCP components carefully, for the same reason that our public version of MC on the download page is almost never the most recent version.

Congrats on the baby and the job.

Yeah, I agree - I shouldn't have lumped latest with greatest! And - Thanks. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up