INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicates (in Same Folder)  (Read 1535 times)

MarekB

Duplicates (in Same Folder)
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:59:01 am »

I'm busy consolidating the folder locations of my music collection and make extensive use of 'Rename, Move & Copy Files'. In many cases I now have duplicates of the same song, e.g.

01 Across the Water.mp3
01 Across the Water (1).mp3

Question: Is there an automatic way of removing these duplicates?

Suggestion - in the  'Rename, Move & Copy Files' form provide the following checkbox
[ x ] Replace files with same name (no duplicates)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: Duplicates (in Same Folder)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:06:51 am »

I found it curious that MC will create a new file with (1) after the name rather than overwriting the old file as is standard Windows convention (with a "Replace file?" dialog).

I imagine there was a reason this was done?
. . . the game is rigged

MarekB

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:57:38 am »

I assume its a "safety-first" decision. Using Copy-Paste, Windows Explorer also creates duplicates, e.g.

01 Across the Water.mp3
Copy of 01 Across the Water.mp3
Copy (2) of 01 Across the Water.mp3

A "Replace file?" dialog in MC is a good idea.

MarekB

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:05:09 am »

For now, I searched for *(1).mp3 files and deleted them, ran Auto Import with Fix Broken Links = Yes.

Not ideal, but it works.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:12:27 am »

For now, I searched for *(1).mp3 files and deleted them, ran Auto Import with Fix Broken Links = Yes.

Not ideal, but it works.

Caution: MC will name files with (1) after the name even if the files are not really there, if MC thinks the files are there (i.e. - they are still in the library database) such as they were deleted from the drive in Windows Explorer rather than inside MC. This results the files named with (1) being the only ones, thus deleting them will cause their loss.

I find it best to run the import (with "fix broken links" checked) before addressing the files with (1) in the name.
In many cases this gets the 'phantom files' (mentioned above) removed from the DB and allowing the files to be renamed-from-properties with MC removing the (1) for you.  If MC still adds the (1) then it is likely there is still another 'copy' in the Library DB.
. . . the game is rigged

MarekB

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:56:51 am »

Thanks for the tip.

I seem to recall that there was "Remove Duplicates" button on a panel underneath where the tabs are. I remember minimizing the panel but now I can't find a way of restoring it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?   

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 07:38:17 am »

If you right-click on Playing Now in the tree there is a Remove Duplicates, but that only removes them from the Playing Now window and not from the library or hard drive. This also works for Playlists.

Unless they added it when I wasn't looking I know of no Remove Duplicates function for the library, only a search to locate duplicates.
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1]   Go Up