INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delete option in Library and Playlist view  (Read 2005 times)

ckbeme

• Recent member
Delete option in Library and Playlist view
« on: March 12, 2009, 06:38:47 pm »

Hello MC fans,

I've just started to organize my library on my new PC and I'm deleting many, many files. I like keyboard shortcuts and anything else in an interface that speeds up file maintenance and navigation.

I'm not thrilled with MC delete options:

In the Playing Now view, the only option seems to be to delete an item from the Playing Now list - no option to delete the file from disk.  That's a nuisance to me, but adding to this inconvenience is How do I quickly get to the song in the library view in order to delete from disk?

In the Library view, it takes many keystrokes or 4 mouse clicks to delete a file(s) from the disk.  Maybe I'm missing something - I hope so. This is the process - Press Delete (or Rt. click), window pops up asking me Remove from list, Remove to Recycle Bin, Remove from disk. By default the selection is to Remove only from list, so I have to use the mouse to click on the Delete from disk option. This is a very laborious mouse process when deleting several files in a session. Standard Tab/Ctrl Tab functions don't work here so using the keyboard is also quite involved. I've found that if hit Delete, and when Popup Window appears I hit Tab, Tab, then down arrow, down arrow, then click on Delete, I have duplicated what the mouse clicks do, thereby saving my wrist a bit.

I would love to see a hot key that actually does 'Delete' (with my removal method of choice). If a hot key isn't available, I'd at least like to be able to set the Default radio button that is selected with the delete command. Or minimally, retain the last action selected radio button .  In addition to these wishes, the ability to Turn off certain Confirmation Messages would help loads.

I love this program and it's many features, but I've been going to another program to do a lot of my file maintenance (deletions) because I can do it so much faster using other applications. That is not acceptable to me!! - I want to use MC for all Audio tools.  I'm sure I've overlooked something and that one of you can set me straight.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ck

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Delete option in Library and Playlist view
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 06:53:29 pm »

1) create playlist "Delete"
2) remove all visible fields in created playlist and add expression "del [Filename]"
2) send your files to playlist
---------------------------
3) copy all files in playlist view
4) open notepad
5) paste data
7) save as batfile (mc_files_that_should_be_deleted.bat)
RUN
----------------
Run auto import

test first with testfile

done in kick  :P

or create a view with playlist included and delete from there
MT5FR

gappie

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:04:57 pm »

or you could select the file in playing now and hit shift + delete..

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:11:53 pm »

or you could select the file in playing now and hit shift + delete..

so much for my tip  :D i did not know that existed
MT5FR

gappie

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:20:13 pm »

so much for my tip  :D i did not know that existed
i read about it a while back. maybe it is in the wiki, but i guess its one of the small little secrets...  should stay that way...

:-X
gab

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 03:00:03 am »

Shift+Delete followed by Enter will remove the selected file(s) from library and disk.

I use it most when deleting dross from recently imported photos, it's a very quick way of working, but, be careful...

The dialogue that shows before you hit the enter key states how many files will be deleted. If you're working your way rapidly through a list, learn to focus on this text...
I was using a skin with very little difference between focussed and non-focussed files, the list lost focus, I didn't notice, I hit shift+delete --> Enter, and promptly deleted over 10,000 photos from disk!! Ouch!

There was little drama as I had backups, and easy recovery software took care of the rest... still... proceed with caution ;)

Shift + Delete is also a windows shortcut for deleting selected files without sending them to the recycle bin, or emails in outlook without sending them to deleted items. I've disabled the recycle bin here, emptying the thing was just too much hassle!!

-marko

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 05:08:03 am »

gab, do you also know any trick to get a warning when removing a file from a playlist ? I have some really important playlists and its a little to easy to accidently press delete.
MT5FR

gappie

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:39:38 am »

gab, do you also know any trick to get a warning when removing a file from a playlist ? I have some really important playlists and its a little to easy to accidently press delete.
no, no idea. when the order of the playlists is not important you could make a library field (semicolomn) instead. or use party mode, which i guess also protect those..

:)
gab

ckbeme

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 10:39:48 am »

Shift+Delete followed by Enter will remove the selected file(s) from library and disk.

I use it most when deleting dross from recently imported photos, it's a very quick way of working, but, be careful...

The dialogue that shows before you hit the enter key states how many files will be deleted. If you're working your way rapidly through a list, learn to focus on this text...
I was using a skin with very little difference between focussed and non-focussed files, the list lost focus, I didn't notice, I hit shift+delete --> Enter, and promptly deleted over 10,000 photos from disk!! Ouch!

There was little drama as I had backups, and easy recovery software took care of the rest... still... proceed with caution ;)

Shift + Delete is also a windows shortcut for deleting selected files without sending them to the recycle bin, or emails in outlook without sending them to deleted items. I've disabled the recycle bin here, emptying the thing was just too much hassle!!

-marko

Thanks for the tip. Sorry I'm slow responding to your post.  I'm just figuring out that I need to specifically subscribe to notifications on all of my posts.

Your post is a great testimonial for Data Backups!! I think I'll do one today. ;)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 10:58:13 am »

I think the way things are currently is as perfect as it should be.

I'm defnitely not in favour of easi(er) deleting.

or you get the reverse problem, MC ate up all my files  >:(

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 11:09:24 am »

I think the way things are currently is as perfect as it should be.

I'm defnitely not in favour of easi(er) deleting.

or you get the reverse problem, MC ate up all my files  >:(

Yeah, I agree. The way I see it, if a user is attentive enough to not accidentally delete files, then they've probably already been "let into the club" of knowing about the Shift-Delete trick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up