INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to import existing MJ12 Replay Gain Info into new MJ12 installation?  (Read 1854 times)

highqfan

• Recent member

Since yesterday i am using my existing 'MJ 12 replaygained' mp3 archive with a second instance of MJ 12 on another PC.
By default, the column 'Replay Gain' shown in the GUI of the 2nd installation is empty, and if I analyze one mp3 again with option 'skip analyzed files' checked MJ 12 analyze it again despite the file was analyzed previously.
Is it possible to use the existing MJ replaygain info with another MJ 12 installation without a second analysis of all the files? There should be no need to analyze again, only the existing replay gain info is to be imported from the ID3 tags into the database of the new installation, isn't it?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost

Is it possible to use the existing MJ replaygain info with another MJ 12 installation without a second analysis of all the files?
Yes it's possible. Works without any problems here. Be sure you checked
Tools -> Options -> General -> Update Tags When File Info Changes

If you don't have this checked, MJ will not write neither the analyze data nor any other information into file tags, so an other installation will not be able to find them. If you have it unchecked this option you have to force MJ to write all fileinfos from MJs library into file tags. To do so highlight all files you want to have updated and select
Tools -> Library Tools -> Update Tags (from library)
Should work then.

gappie

what stFeder said, and also check in the options, library and folders if the 'store in file tags (when possible) ' for those fields are checked otherwise it wont help.

:)
gab

highqfan

• Recent member

To StFeder and gappie,
thank you for your very specific hints. I verified all the settings you mentioned above but there are some deviations from expected behaviour:

1. I selected the files with missing value in column Replay Gain (some hundred)
2. With this selection I did Contextmenu > Library Tools > Update Library (from tags): Process runs very fast (good MJ12 !), completed in about half a minute.
But after that there are no Replay Gain values shown in the GUI for these files!? Restarting MJ12 didn't help.

BUT: If MJ is running for a while, the column Replay Gain gets filled by ghosts hand without any user action.
It's a very slow process with very low CPU load, so no new Replay Gain analysis takes place. There seems to be a slow background process filling in the Replay Gain Info from the tags without any user action. So the only thing you should do to import Replay Gain Info into the library is to verify your settings and then TO WAIT.
Up to now I don't know a method to force MJ to import the Replay Gain Info from tags to library at once, but simply to wait some hours once is easy to accept ;-).

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost

BUT: If MJ is running for a while, the column Replay Gain gets filled by ghosts hand without any user action.
This is done by the auto import feature. You can see/change the settings for this here:
Tools -> Options -> Library & Folders

I verified all the settings you mentioned above but there are some deviations from expected behaviour:
Should work. I just did a retest. For me it works. I made sure, that all my library information was written to the file tags bei Media Center (using "Update Tags (from library)"). Then I started Media Jukebox and made a clean, empty library and imported my files. I had "analyze audio" in the auto import settings unchecked. And it worked: Media Jukebox got all the analyze data for my files out of the filetags.

Perhaps two things you might check (I'd guess you allready did): are your files write protected? What kind of files are we talking about? I only can say something for mp3/wma/ogg. I don't know, if there may be some audio filetypes in which the data maybe cannot be saved...

highqfan

• Recent member

I did an 'Update tags (from library)' with some of my mp3's that show Replay Gain, than build a new library with 'Run auto-import in background' and 'Analyze Audio' unchecked: The tagged files show their Replay Gain Info at once, but Replay Gain of all other files remain empty permanently.
After checking 'Run auto-import in background' and 'Analyze Audio' the lacking Replay Gain Info gets filled slowly. But: 'date modified' of these mp3's remains unchanged, so the Replay Gain Info does not get written (write permission given) to the tags and this fact was the reason of this forum topic.

My conclusion: The default config of MJ12 doesn't write any Replay Gain Info to tags, despite "Tools -> Options -> General -> Update Tags When File Info Changes" is checked by default (and was checked for all of my tests). An extra 'Update tags (from library)' action is required as StFeder said.

Thank you all for your help.  :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up