INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play random selection of classical music files  (Read 1042 times)

pwantzel

• World Citizen
Play random selection of classical music files
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:05:38 pm »

I like the ability of SmartLists to generate a playlist of a random selection of songs that meet certain criteria.  I would like to use this with the classical part of my collection.  The problem is that many (most?) of my classical CDs divide each work (e.g., a symphony) into several .mp3 files (e.g., one for each movement of the symphony).  I would like to play all parts of the symphony together, not just one randomly selected part.  Is there a way to designate certain files that will stay together when a random list is generated?  Each album can contain in general more than one complete work.

I know that if I play each album by itself, I can play it straight thru in the right order.  As an alternative to the above, is it possible to create a SmartList that plays a random selection of complete albums (in the right order within each album)?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Play random selection of classical music files
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:12:26 pm »

It would need to be the 'alternative' option. You're preferred option is not supported.

To get a random selection of complete clasical albums, played in track order, use the following rule:

[Media Type]="audio" [genre]=classical ~limit=-1,1,[album],[album artist (auto)] ~sort=Random ~n=3 ~a

Use the import/export button on the smartlist editor to access a dialogue that allows you to paste the rule above into the smartlist.
This will give you three random albums. Change ~n=3 to ~n=x where x is your preferred number of albums.

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up