INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping/encoding to a network drive...what's the problem?  (Read 528 times)

Vlad

Ripping/encoding to a network drive...what's the problem?
« on: July 18, 2002, 05:04:31 am »

I can't get MJ to rip/encode to a network drive.  Both boxes are running Win2k and the network is 100kbps full duplex.  The ripping machine is a dual PIII 1Gig and the CPU usage never goes above 12% (usually below 10%) throughout the process.

I've managed to determine that the culprit is the encoder.  I only use APE but ran a test with MP3 and got basically the same behaviour.  The rip runs fine for the first track.  Then the encoder kicks in.  The CD-ROM keeps spinning up then stopping.  The ripping speed falls to 1-2X or less.  Then network traffic stops, MJ stalls ("not responding") and that's that, until it's finally finished the CD.  It doesn't actually crash.  I suppose that's something.

Encoding later (when no ripping is going on) causes the same symptoms so it's not a conflict between ripping and encoding.

I've been through all the hoops; remove all unnecesary cards, update all drivers, try different PCI slots and even complete rebuilds.

Encoding to a local drive, while not totally robust, certainly is not guaranteed to render MJ paralized.

Does anyone out there encode to a network drive successfully?

Does anyone know why I can't?

Listening to: 'Casta Diva (Extended) from Norma (Vincenzo Bellini)' from 'Filippa Giordano' by 'Filippa Giordano' on Media Jukebox

Vlad

RE:Ripping/encoding to a network drive...what's the problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2002, 06:05:10 am »

Does this mean that no one is doing it or wants to do it?

Any chance of a response from JRiver?  Surely you could quickly run a test on your office LAN?  Or is it unsupported functionality?
Pages: [1]   Go Up