INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto tagging is strange!  (Read 1378 times)

rosie

• Recent member
Auto tagging is strange!
« on: March 19, 2009, 09:17:42 am »

I have been using MCxx as player for a few years and now I am looking at using it to update cover art and maybe reply gain for my 6.000+ FLAC's. I was happy with MC12 until I noticed the YEAR tag issues with flac files (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51118.0) so I just upgraded to MC13 where this has been resolved. Now I am trying to fully understand what MC13 is doing to my files when I use it to update tags. I guess there is no "easy to read" document that describes it so I have some qustions based on a few trial runs:

- TOOL NAME and VERSION is alwas added - no problem
- From MC13 JR_DATE is added (MC's internal time stamp format as I undertand it) - no problem as YEAR is now untouched
- for some files BPM, INTENSITY, PEAK LEVEL and REPLAY GAIN is updated - I repeat: for "some" files!

Three examples:
1) I selected all tracks in my 16 track "Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin" album and opdated the cover art from the Internet. Five files, 10-14 where taged with BPM, INTENSITY, PEAK LEVEL and REPLAY GAIN values
2) In the 24 tracks "Grease" album it was 14-18
3) And before I upgraded to latest version 13 I used 12.0.534 on the 20 tracks "Let It Rock: Best Of The Georgia Satellites" album and it happend to track 7-11

Is there a natural explanation to this?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Auto tagging is strange!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:32:31 am »

It tags the field values you have in the library.

You can create a view that has the four "analysis" columns (= BPM, INTENSITY, PEAK LEVEL and REPLAY GAIN) visible if you want to see what you have.

Auto-import can do audio analysis in the background if have that option enabled. It is a slow and CPU intensive process because the files need to be fully decoded. You may want to turn that option off and do analysis at a preferred time manually.

However, if you already have those values in your MC12 library (but not in the file tags for some reason) you can restore an MC12 library backup file. That would also preserve almost everything else you have in your MC12 library.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:47:08 am »

Alex B, thanks for answering my various qustions so fast - really good service!

I have actually the view you mention setup in Mp3tag at the moment (old habit, have used Mp3tag for a few years) and those files I mentioned are the only ones tagged with those four tags. So if I understand you correctly MC12/13 have been working on those files in the background and because I have closed the program thats just where it got to?

Is there ONE overview of ALL the auto tagging settings somewhere? I guess I would prefer to have 100% control of what is happening.

I like to have all the cover art 100% updated. Do you recommend to let MC13 do it automatically?

I am not really sure about BPM/INTENSITY/PEAK LEVEL/REPLAY GAIN - will it improve the playback and is the auto function "bullit proof/always" correct?

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 03:53:01 pm »

I get a little confused with all the options so how is this done the right way?: "Auto-import can do audio analysis in the background if have that option enabled. It is a slow and CPU intensive process because the files need to be fully decoded. You may want to turn that option off and do analysis at a preferred time manually."

Thanks for feedback!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 04:43:33 pm »

I like to have all the cover art 100% updated. Do you recommend to let MC13 do it automatically?

It causes lots of background file tagging if you are embedding cover art to the file tags. (Embedding is enabled by default. The other option is to use external cover art). However once it is done things should settle down.

If not all downloaded images are of good quality or correct you can use the excellent Get Cover Art tool which allows you to select the best picture if more than one are available.

I am not really sure about BPM/INTENSITY/PEAK LEVEL/REPLAY GAIN - will it improve the playback and is the auto function "bullit proof/always" correct?

It just analyses the files and saves metadata. It does not alter audio data in the files. You can always decide if you want to use the playback correction features after the files are analyzed.

I get a little confused with all the options so how is this done the right way?: "Auto-import can do audio analysis in the background if have that option enabled. It is a slow and CPU intensive process because the files need to be fully decoded. You may want to turn that option off and do analysis at a preferred time manually."

You can turn it off in the Auto-import options. The setting is called "Analyze audio".

To analyze files manually you can select all audio files and run the analyzer (Library Tools > Analyze Audio). By default it will analyze only the previously unanalyzed files. The manual analyzer can be stopped and restarted later. It will continue from the next unanalyzed file.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up