INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Record levels on audio capture  (Read 1058 times)

jackreliance

Record levels on audio capture
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:09:16 am »

I've had great results capturing from vinyl.  But now I'm trying to rip a casette.  The record levels are maxed, even when I set the record level to "1%."  It records, but the playback sounds tinny - like an old car radio.  Help?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Record levels on audio capture
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 03:19:17 am »

How do you connect the cassette player? What kind of player is it? Is the sound fine if you just play it through the Windows mixer without recording it? Have you disabled the "Mic boost" setting in the Windows mixer if you are using the microphone connector?

In general, you would get best results by connecting a hi-fi cassette deck directly to the line level input connector on your sound card, but many sound cards have only a microphone connector.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jackreliance

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:26:42 am »

Thanks for your help Alex.

It's an Optimus cassette deck, the component stereo kind (no speakers, just input/output jacks).  It's plugged into the line input on the sound card.  Also, since I made that last post, I tried ripping an LP (also plugged into the line input), and now I have the same problem with that too.  It used to work great.  Same turntable, same computer, same sound card, same install - Media Center 12.0.534.

Jack

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 08:33:27 am »

On the Windows desktop, double click the speaker icon in the lower right corner. 

Then do File/Properties and select "Recording".  Check the levels you have set.  One of them is probably too low.

jackreliance

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 05:03:59 pm »

That did it!

Yudaman.

Thanks,
Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up