INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TIPS for tagging your music...  (Read 3314 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen
TIPS for tagging your music...
« on: March 26, 2009, 10:27:24 am »

Hi,

Sharing is caring, so I thought I would share some ideas for tagging music tracks.
If you have any ideas for tagging your music better, please post!

Regards,
Chris

chriswale

• World Citizen
Re: TIPS for tagging your music...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:51:29 am »

I always make sure that I have the right information for every track:

[Year] [Date]
[Artist]
[Name]
[Album]/[track#]
[Genre]

But I also add extra fields to better enjoy the listening experience:

[rating]
[mood]
[BPM] - auto
[description] - explained later (works in conjunction with genre)
[vocals] - explained later
[lyrics]
[fans] - explained later
[instruments & sounds]
[associations] - explained later
[note] - explained later (more for organizing)

chriswale

• World Citizen
Genre & Description...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:52:17 am »

TAGGING TIPS continued...
Using the [genre] field in conjunction with the [description] field to define listening intensity of the music!
Heres what I do...

First I tag the genre, i.e. Rock, Pop, Trance, Lounge, etc...
Then I use the [description] field to tag the intensity of the track "---" "--" "-" "." "+" "++" "+++".
"---" very chilled
"--" chilled
"-" kind of chilled
"." normal
"+" viby
"++" hard
"+++" really hard

So instead of tagging genre: "Chilled Rock", I tag the genre: "Rock" and the description "--".
Example: Counting Crows - Anna Begins (Rock) (--)
Example: Foo Fighters - Breakout (Rock) (+ +)
Example: Daughtry - Home (Rock) (.)

This means that I don't have a crowded genre list, I can listen to all rock, or filter by the intensity of the tracks.
I can also filter by the intensity (i.e. "--") and just listen to chilled music over all the genres!
This gives me the power to listen to what I want to!

How do you tag for a better listening experience?

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:59:43 am »

[vocals] - explained

Vocals can be an important filter when choosing what to listen to, here's what I do...

If the tracks has vocals than I tag [vocals]="Yes"
If the tracks does not have vocals than I tag [vocals]="No"

So if I am working while listening to my music, I can choose to listen to all songs without vocals... so that I can concentrate of course.

I go a step further... when I tag vocals="Yes" I add some more information...

Yes (Male)
Yes (Female)
Yes (Both)

Explicit lyrics/vocals:

Sometimes I really don't want Eminem to start rapping off while I have my family over for a get together.
So if a track has explicit lyrics, I simply add (Explicit *) to the tag.
Example: Yes (Male) (Explicit *)

i also do this for religious tracks
Example: Yes (Male) (Christian)

Because filtering in MC is so easy, this gives me the power to listen to what I want to!

Next up> [fans] field

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 11:06:10 am »

[fans] tag field

Knowing what music your friends like is a must for entertaining!
Rating the tracks works for me, but what about everyone else!
Heres what I do...

I use [fans], simply to log which tracks or artists my friends/family like.
For example, my girlfriend Melanie loves listening to 'Good Charlotte'... so I tag all the 'Good Charlotte' tracks [fans] field with her name.
[fans]="Melanie".

Note: it is a good idea to make this a list field, so that you can add multiple fans for one track.
example:
Good Charlotte - Change ([fans]="Melanie;Bob"
So when Melanie and Bob visit me for drinks, I can filter for music that I know they will enjoy too!

You can even go as far as to include a rating for the fans...
Good Charlotte - Change ([fans]="Melanie (5);Bob (4)"

next> [associations] tag field

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 11:11:09 am »

[associations] tag field

Music can take you back to a time or place!
Heres what I do...

When ever I have a memory association with a song, I tag it!!
Sometimes your remember the memory, but can't remember the song that goes with it. This method solves that.
And one day 50 years from now, you'll be able to re-live some of those memories.
I don't think I need to give any examples...

next step> [notes] tag field

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 01:54:10 pm »

I always make sure that I have the right information for every track:

[Year] [Date]
[Artist]
[Name]
[Album]/[track#]
[Genre]

But I also add extra fields to better enjoy the listening experience:

[rating]

i kinda get tapped out by this point  ;D

So if I am working while listening to my music, I can choose to listen to all songs without vocals... so that I can concentrate of course.

A good idea that i wish i did ages ago.

There are a few tags i could share if you are interested:
[Mixed] Y or N so i know which tracks not to include in a random playlist. Typically for tracks that are part of a DJ mix and would sound off, out of it.

[Record Label] for recording label, with mood music i find this acts as a container for a particular sound. Many times its easier to make decent random playlists if you can constrain track or artist to similar labels.

[Album Score] is the avg rating of all tracks within an album. I used this the most often to pick which album or set of albums to listen to depending on the genre. Admittedly it works better if you like to listen to albums at a stretch rather than just individual tracks. Then again its quicker to queue up a few decent albums and  forget about it. You could achieve a similar result with just a preference system of say 5 descriptions to describe how much you liked an album.

It has to be said the tagging system you adopt largely depends on the variety of music you listen to. A classical or jazz tagging system would be very different to contemporary music. With avantgarde my rating system breaks down, i have no clue how one would go about rating that  ?

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 02:59:49 pm »

For mixed CD's I just store the music in a different library.
I have the following libraries:
Music: All (All my music)
Music: Individual Tracks
Music: Mixed CDs/Albums
Music: Mixed Tracks to replace
Music: Music for other occasions (i.e. Christmas, etc...)
Music: New (when I get new music I place it here for initial organizing)

I also use [Album Rating] for mixed CDs

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 03:02:16 pm »

It has to be said the tagging system you adopt largely depends on the variety of music you listen to. A classical or jazz tagging system would be very different to contemporary music. With avantgarde my rating system breaks down, i have no clue how one would go about rating that  ?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean? I have all sorts of music, from classical to 50's to 80's, trance and even Electro House.  My system works for all.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 03:12:45 pm »

Take a look at this & this for classical.

I mean there would be tags specific to the genres, which would in turn influence the organisation of your viewschemes.

I have the following libraries:
Music: All (All my music)
Music: Individual Tracks
Music: Mixed CDs/Albums
Music: Mixed Tracks to replace
Music: Music for other occasions (i.e. Christmas, etc...)
Music: New (when I get new music I place it here for initial organizing)

So long as you do not want to transfer tags between these libraries i suppose its ok. Not that you can't do it but it can get unwieldy on a regular basis.

Is there any need to have so many specific libraries ?

MC would be able to handle the lot within one library without much trouble.
eg. all those specific libraries could be replaced by [custom tag] and be viewed on the same basis.

The new stuff can go into a specific folder thats specfically set to watch for new stuff to import.

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 03:27:23 pm »

how can I add a screen shot here?

I'll try explain my thought...
Basically each library has a different view and a different list of songs.
When I load the Individual Tracks library, the view layout and list of songs changes.
When I load the Mixed CDs library, again the view layout and list of songs changes.

However, if I store all the songs in one library then I have to change the (Smartlist) and then (the view layout). and I have to remember which links with which.

But I will try play with it some more, maybe I can store all the songs in one library and have a way to load a list, i.e. 'Individual Tracks' 'Mixed CDs', 'Music for other occasions', etc... (with the right layout). One click.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 03:46:52 pm »

flickr, imageshack etc  then link the url here.

Or you could use MC's very own picture sharing called pix01.

MusicHawk

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 08:32:27 pm »

Basically each library has a different view and a different list of songs.

For a while (been using this product for many years) I tinkered with multiple libraries. But in my collection (80 thousand tracks and growing) there is too much overlap of genres and desires to play certain songs in different contexts to keep them physically separate. And putting the same track into multiple libraries was doomed from the start, impossible to manage, as already stated.

Now, I use ONE library for everything that is music. (I have a separate library for talk recordings, ranging from comedy to radio shows). I mean, ALL music, ranging from jazz to rock, classical to pop, showtunes to blues. I worried about this at first but it works fine (thank to MC's ability to handle a very large database), and again, there's too much overlap to NOT do this.

For what you are doing with separate libraries, I do with MC's formula-controlled playlists known as smartlists.

I use a combination of a few standard and custom fields to tag every track. Then smartlists easy and reliably grab the appropriate songs for whatever purpose. With the right field contents up-front, I can later create new smartlists for purposes I haven't yet thought of. All I need to do is a good job of tagging in the first place. Just understand that some custom fields (tags) are necessary, especially multi-value fields since MC has many fields locked-down as single-value for compatibility. My most powerful tool is the standard Keywords field. (I could have created a similar custom field, but didn't find a need.) A given track might have two (usually the minimum) values in the Keywords 0field, but some have 10 values.

I could come up with many examples, but one that got played today (I love "random" playback) makes the point: In 1964 there was a hit record "I Want To Hold Your Hand" by Arthur Fiedler conducting the Boston Pops Orchestra. That one song is reasonably categorized as classical, pop, Beatles, rock, orchestral, 1964, instrumental, etc. and there are two artists, Arthur Fiedler and The Boston Pops Orchestra -- two because they both recorded separately, Fiedler with other orchestras and The Boston Pops with other conductors. A lot going on for just ONE song, but easily categorized via some standard and custom fields so I can include it (or not) in any playlist based on many criteria.

Different views for different playlists is easy. A playlist/smartlist always has its own view design -- just customize it. In fact, it's actually a bit of a pain to give several playlists the SAME view design (due to what I hope is a yet-to-be-finished aspect of MC13's save/load view design action).
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 08:38:52 pm »

I feel so simple reading all of these highly advanced tagging techniques.  So many people have such huge diverse libraries with sophisticated genre tastes and advanced understanding of the technicalities of music!  Here I am very content with name, artist, album, genre, track #, date!

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 09:25:44 pm »

Yeah, there's some serious stuff going on here. Some of it I'd like to do, if I felt I had the time... Let me add some of the things I do:

I have a field for release type, where I list albums under e.g. 'studio', 'live', 'bootleg', 'ost', 'ep', 'bonus', etc. Then I have view schemes where I only view studio albums (this is where I usually reside), or only official releases, or only live albums, or just bonus stuff, etc. Works well. For a while I experimented with another field, for content type, but it wasn't a meaninful distinction I found. I might also add that my viewschemes are set up as to not show newly imported stuff until they have been tagged with a release type (except for in my tagging view scheme).

I also have a custom field called IP for intellectual property. For OSTs. In my OST view scheme I then have a pane where you can select IPs, e.g. Star Wars, or Gyakuten Saiban, or whatever, to only see stuff related to that IP. It's nice.

Perhaps this might inspire someone.
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 08:24:19 am »

I have to say I really like that [Fans] idea. Too bad there wasn't a plugin that could jack into everybody's brain so I wouldn't have to fill it all in manually.

*sigh*  I'm never going to be free of the endless tagging, am I? ;)

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 12:41:46 pm »

That is one reason I like my simplistic tagging technique...but I don't have the wealth of data some other users have built up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up