INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos & Movies - together?  (Read 1740 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen
Photos & Movies - together?
« on: March 26, 2009, 04:30:35 pm »

I'm still working out the new MC 13 layout. I was wondering if there was a way to see photos with videos?
So if I am looking at an Album... i.e. Christmas 2008, I would like to see the photos mixed with the videos.
Any suggestions?

Also, I have tagged images, but these tags don't show for videos... for instance, if I tag a bunch of photos: "Christmas 2008", when I try to tag the videos the tags in the drop down for [album] don't show! arg. Am I missing something?

Am actually using a whole bunch of tags...
[country]
[state]
[city/town]
[suburb]
[places]
[group]
[sub group]
I've tagged 4000 images with the following fields. Now I am tagging the videos, and I have to switch between the two list to remember which "" tags I put in the fields.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Photos & Movies - together?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 04:39:38 pm »

I've brought this type of issue up before.  If you are watching a movie, why not have a sidebar that shows related content -- the soundtrack perhaps.

Unfortunately, the more I thought about it the more I thought it probably wouldn't be all that useful.  I only have soundtracks for a small percentage of movies and what else could legitimately be pulled up as related--unless MC somehow found all the songs used in a particular movie and searched your library for each of them!

We have recorded every Christmas since my first (not too long ago) and especially in recent years we do have a lot of images too.  Linking the two together would be very neat.  The problem is that I think there needs to be some manual adjustment there because, in my case at least, if I'm watching a live Christmas recording, then I would most likely want pictures from that event only...but an algorithm might find any pictures around the time, etc.  Not sure how it might work.

I think last year we filmed and took pictures.  It's interesting to cycle through the pictures while watching the video because they overlap--so each picture can be seen in the video but at the video cameras angle.  It's interesting to see the low res video next to super high res photos.  Of course now we film at 1080i or better which will look about the same on even moderately large monitors...not 30" cinemas, though.

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 04:49:27 pm »

I still need some suggestions...
but in the meantime, I do have an idea.

;D ;) :)
**Create a separate library for: Music, and Photos, and Videos.
Then, select: allow MC to run multiple instances of the program.
Open MC 3 times and load each library.

!! If you have dual screens, you can then have your music playing in the one screen, while having your photos in the other screen.
Even better, while looking at photos from Christmas 2008, you can be watching the videos on the other screen. With the power of MC dedicated for each library (and media type). No need to switch from one to the other!
All it means is that the different media types are in separate libraries, the tag fields don't share across anyway!!
I don't see why this is a bad idea at all! I think it could really work!

And you can tag your music while tagging your photos while tagging your videos all at the same time. But you have to use different libraries otherwise you'll only be able to tag in the first instance of the program.

what do you think??

benn600

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:24:42 pm »

Just create a view that doesn't restrict to ONE (video, audio, images).  Then, when you search, you'll get items from all three of the main media categories (there are others so you may want to manually select these 3).

So if you search for "Austin Powers" you would get the movie, the soundtrack, and any random photos you might have of the cast (lol).

Does this answer your question?

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:16:57 am »

How do I create a view that doesn't restrict to one media type?
Apart from searching, I also want to be able to filter the data using the panes.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:00:17 am »

First you need to decide if you want this new view to fall under one of the other root views (Audio, Images or Video). If you want it to, then just right click on the root view of your choice and choose "Add Library View..." If you want to create your own root view (which would seem to make sense to me since you're not going to restrict this new view to just one media type or another), then click on Start in the tree, then click on the View menu (up top) and then Add View -> Add Library View

Whichever you chose, on the Add Library View window you now have another choice to make. You can pick one of the stock views here or choose the Empty View option. If you pick a stock view, once you click OK you get your view in the tree and now you have to right click on it and choose "Customize View". If you pick the Empty View option, then you'll just be taken straight to the Customize View box.

Still with me?

Once you are in the Customize View box, in the rightmost Options pane you'll see a grouping called "Advanced". Open that up and you'll see two options of interest. One is a checkbox labeled "Use parent scheme rules for file display" and the other is a button with just "..." on it and the label "Set rules for file display..."

Here's where it gets fun. Click on the "Set rules for file display..." button and you're presented with the same Search wizard you see elsewhere. Just use this to determine which files you want to display (or not to display). The root view of Images would have a rule set that says to only include files whose Media Type is Image. You'll probably want to set a rule that says to include files whose Media Type is Image or Video. You can also set any other rules you want in here. Once you're done, just click OK.

One more step... If you've created this view as a member of one of the 3 main root views (Audio, Images or Video), then you need to clear the checkbox labeled "Use parent scheme rules for file display". What this option does is basically causes this view to inherit any rules that it's parent has. If you created this view under Images, and left this box checked, then you're still only going to get images because what happens is the root view Images is set to only have image files. So then your new view only gets a list of files that are images. So even though it's set to display images and videos, it doesn't have any videos to display. If you uncheck this box, then your view basically ignores whatever comes before it and gets to start over with your entire library.

I hope this makes sense and didn't get too confusing.

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 05:09:58 am »

Thank you very much. That certainly opened my mind to more ways in which I can customize MC!
However, I do have one more question...

When I combined photos and videos, I couldn't tell which were photos and which were videos.
Any suggestions??

benn600

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:50:38 am »

You could group by media type: Right click and edit your view.  There is a group by item.  Select the more option and pick Media Type.  Then it will separate video from pictures.

benn600

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 07:56:21 am »

I'm starting to like this view!  Here's an example when searching for Austin Powers:

Pages: [1]   Go Up