INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: A needed change! (with screenshots!)  (Read 1575 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen
Feature Request: A needed change! (with screenshots!)
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:39:36 am »

Feature Request: Photos & Videos to share field values! (with screenshots!)

I'm having a problem tagging photos and videos.
In fact, it's more of a difficulty... and one that I think most users would encounter. I'm hoping that some of the more advanced users will have some suggestions...

I'll start with a screenshot example of the problem...
1) Have a look at this library/view... as you can see, I can tag an image and my [group] field has all sorts of options (values) in the list. this is because out of the other 4000 images in the library, these are the [group]s I have used. Cool!

2) But when I select a video, in the same library, tagging the same field [group]... where are all the options (values), why are they not shared from images and videos? How can I accomplish this, is there a setting somewhere I have missed?

Tagging Images & Video Together

This is the same problem with all fields!

Example 2:

Okay... I've tagged 4000+ images into albums... now I want to tag the videos into those albums too.

But when I click on any the video [album] tag field, the list of albums that I have already created for the images does not show, and I unable to just select the value from a list / drop down??
So when I'm tagging videos that were captured at an event, I have to manually type in the album name again... For example, "Christmas 2008 (in New York)". 

So if I don't have the exact field value, I might end up with two different field values for the same place/time/event/album. i.e. [Album] = "Christmas 2008" OR "Christmas 2008 (in New York)". One for the photos and the other for the videos.

------------------

Are the field values not shared between videos and images, [album], [people], [custom fields]?
Each time I add new photos and videos I want to be able to tag them together, and use the same list of values for both.

It causes me to have to duplicate work, and it would be much easier if I could just select the values from a drop down.
Any suggestions?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe

one suggestion is to use the panes. make a view with mixed content and a pane with group. in the 'customize view' put the pane to the left. its much easier to use as the tag window for fields like this, and with mixed content its easier to give the files the right value.

:)
gab

chriswale

• World Citizen

yes... but if I filter then the field options in the panes filter too! So the options disappear.
If i add a whole bunch of new photos and then browse to (2009) > (March), I might not have any options in the panes at all.

so that is not a suitable solution. sorry, had thought about it though.

Lasse_Lus

chris, i think i know what you mean  :)

please have a look @ gappies post here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44769.0
MT5FR

chriswale

• World Citizen

chris, i think i know what you mean  :)
please have a look @ gappies post here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44769.0

^This post deals with tagging images only, and is not really related to my concern of videos sharing tag field values.
Look, I understand whats going on, I'm just asking if anyone knows if there is a suitable work around for this? Is there a setting I have missed in options, is there a fix? Otherwise, I'm requesting the the MC TEAM look into this! I, like most of you, want MC to be the best Media software it can be, because I use it for so much now!

When I tag images, everything is perfect, I normally use "New <tag type>" option and then select one of the values in the drop down (see below). But when I select the "New <tag type>" option for a video, the list values don't show applied to images don't show, only the values applied to videos.
It limits functionality with tagging videos, because most videos will share common field values with images! i.e. images and videos from "Christmas Party 2008" [album]="Christmas Party 2008" [people]=x,y,z [place]="New York", etc.

If you don't tag the same identical values you'll end up with duplicate values in the list pane filters! 
Selecting existing options from a list prevents this to a large degree!

See examples below:

IMAGE [group] tag field, only the 'Groups' for assigned to image show, which are all the groups, because I tagged my images first:

http://www.wayke.com/MediaCenter/imagetagdropdown.jpg

VIDEO [group] tag field, only the 'Groups' for assigned to videos show:

http://www.wayke.com/MediaCenter/videotagdropdown.jpg

Basically, I want videos and images to share the same field values, so that if I add a bunch of photos and tag them, then I can use those same tags for my videos, i.e. [album] [group] [country] [town] [place] [people] etc... whats the harm in sharing the values?
Otherwise, there could be a setting, [] show all field values for this tag field, or something like that.

In the meantime, my work around is to tag videos without filtering my library at all, and using the pane to tag. But I have 10 main tag fields that i tag every photo and video with, so the panes are a bit squashed for now... not to mention that it is hard to find the tags.  :(  I could also create different views and tag in category.d

http://www.wayke.com/MediaCenter/tagginginpane.jpg

p.s. I use [group] & [sub group] instead of albums. that's another story...

Another example, shows how the tagging field area on the left is much easier to work with than the panes.

http://www.wayke.com/MediaCenter/tagpaneleft.jpg

gappie

Re: Feature Request: A needed change! (with screenshots!)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 10:20:15 am »

i do understand what you said. and i know its not ideal, but it works great, as a work around, especially if you make a simpler view and also place the panes left, just like you have your tagging field at the left side..

there are pros and cons for letting values go across media. i think getting all my audio albums there would make things not better.

when you use always the same values, and its a custom field, you could add them to the 'acceptable values' for that field..

gab

gappie

Re: Feature Request: A needed change! (with screenshots!)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 10:41:50 am »

maybe an example.

http://www.gappie.nl/fotos/PaneLeft.jpg

this view has videos and images. in the tree i have a seperate item for maintainance, with a few in there specially for these images and videoos. here is the view i use to add people. i click on unassigned to get the ones i have not done yet. at the left side, all values that i have used stay available undependend from if i click a video or an image and its even easier to pick as in the tag window.

gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up