INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 13 Installed but disappears  (Read 1433 times)

smoof017

• Recent member
MC 13 Installed but disappears
« on: March 29, 2009, 09:35:52 pm »

I poked around for about 30 minutes through the FAQs some pages of posts and did some searching....couldn't find anything specific to my problem. 

Hopefully somebody out there can help, I am new to MC13, I had MC12 for a little bit but that computer crashed so I haven't used it all that much.  I downloaded the 13.0.132 file installed it fine and ran the file on completion of install. The install worked perfectly no problems, and the program ran fine.  Once I closed it, because I was using another program, I couldn't find the program, no shortcuts in quicklaunch or start menu (I elected the first time to not have a desktop shortcut) no sign of this program in program files or under the "add/remove programs" in the control panel.  So....I restarted the comp. thinking that could be part of the problem, (like a complete the install type of thing).  And still no sign of it anywhere (even the location it told me it was saving the library file to in my temp folder in user data.  Anyways, you get the idea.  I re-installed it and it new that I installed it yesterday bc a day was gone from the trial, but other than that nothing different. (I also told it to create a desktop shortcut this time and still nothing).  ?
javascript:void(0);
I am running vista home premium, nothing special other than that...its a 2.53 intel core two duo.  4 gb of ram....

HELP! I want this program but have no clue whats going on here.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 13 Installed but disappears
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:40:32 pm »

Very odd.  Never heard of that one.

The default location of the install is:  C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 13

My best wild guess is a special security program of some kind.

smoof017

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:42:35 pm »

Do you think ZoneAlarm is the problem? Where should i look to correct?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:44:41 pm »

Possible.  Try this thread for ideas:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

smoof017

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:45:54 pm »

Yeah I read that whole thread...nothing similar that I can see.  I just looked in ZoneAlarm at the programs it is controlling internet access etc. for and  MC isn't even there.

smoof017

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:23:52 pm »

Ok so I am going to try some other things...I just clicked the download button again and it wanted to save the download file as a binary file....? is that normal?  I switched it to all files (the only other option).  It doesn't seen right to me though.  Any idea why it prompted me that way?  (This is through the latest version of firefox...just using its built in download)

smoof017

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 11:28:18 pm »

oh and when I am installing I selected advanced and it never actually lets me choose the install directory? Shouldn't it?

smoof017

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:12:38 am »

Ok well I think I fixed the issue...I don't know which of the things I did worked to fix it but I'll tell you all of them in case someone else has this issue.

1. I downloaded a new copy of j river from cnet instead of the jriver site.
2. Ran Registry mechanic 8 and it fixed some issues (none that i saw would relate but still)
3. Ran CCleaner on junk files and registry also (once again no glaring issues)
4. Noticed an option on the file that something (maybe ZoneAlarm?) saw that it was from another computer and was blocking it. Sorry I don't have any further information on that one.
4a. Turned that off and removed a weird code like named user (it was numbers and letters ISW_1234_456 something) from the security permissions on the file. Same here, I don't have any further information on what the hell it was (because there are only two users on this computer myself and the gf.  It was showing my user name, admin, the generic user profile and this other phantom one. (maybe also associated with ZoneAlarm? someone smarter than me might know that one?)
4b. Extracted the file with WinRAR
5. Ran the install wizard as an administrator

Other things of note, this time it let me choose the install directory, and the progress bar on the install was similar to most vista (with the green that moves) vice what I saw previously which looked like thin horizontal bars that illuminated progressively.

Anyways, looks like I am up and running.  Good Luck to anyone else that runs into this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up