INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music jukebox 12 network problem - help!  (Read 1313 times)

coppo23

Music jukebox 12 network problem - help!
« on: April 04, 2009, 12:51:44 pm »

MJ 12.0.49 on XP dell laptop, intel 2200bg radio. I have had issues with jukebox on this laptop pausing and hesitating when playing back streamed flac files from whs. The files are all located by unc path names. JB will pause playing and become generally unresponsive to mouse or keys for 1-5 seconds at a time. When connected wired lan it doesn't appear to happen. Stats on radio are fine - the speed rarely drops below 24Mb and i have had it happen next to the access point (vigor 2910) though it does seem to be worse if the wifi rate is backing off. I tried winamp and wmp- no probs with these even at extreme radio range. We do have a lot of access points that can be seen from time to time. Mine is the only one on channel 8 and significantly higher S/N ratio than any of the others. I have tried other channels.

Looking at network traffic using windows task manager - the traffic from juke box oscillates rapidly between zero and and a peak of typically 3-4% at 24MB and if using winamp it is a totally flat line - less than 1%. (This is the same pattern whether using wifi or wired.) When JB hangs on playback - the line drops to zero for 2-3 seconds. I think this is showing that the buffering on JB is somewhat different to that used by winamp - which has no probs with the network.

I have tried new driver on the 2200bg, NIC powermanagement on high power, longest buffering in JB, asio drivers etc etc. Different radio channels. None of it makes a difference. I am coming to the conclusion it is a buffering issue with JB OR some sort of clash with the radio card drivers.

Has anyone any ideas? I don't want to go back to wmp as it didn't work correctly with flac tagging - but it did play reliably.

Cheers
Coppo

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Music jukebox 12 network problem - help!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 03:18:10 pm »

There is a topic link in my signature called "Stability".  Try it for ideas.  Jumbo Frames were a problem with a network card for one user, if I recall correctly.

MJ uses Windows networking.  It isn't doing anything special.  It's not talking directly to the network hardware. 

A virus checker might give it problems.

coppo23

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:58:58 am »

Sorry - can't find this topic or any ref to jumbo frames. Can you give me a link please?
apc edited.... got the topic - sorry - have been there and don't think anything applies. Still can't find anything about jumbo frames though!

However - I still don't understand what jukebox is doing different to winamp to cause the vastly different network usage plot. (Winamp shows a flatish line of network activity and doesn't have any problems streaming files - even at extreme radio range. Jukebox looks like a sawtooth waveform and does. Playing the same file from the same server on the same PC. )

Cheers

Andy

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 06:45:47 am »

Check the settings for your network controller.  Right click on it under networks, and choose properties to get there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up