INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3 Keywords & MC16 [Solved]  (Read 4017 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Lightroom 3 Keywords & MC16 [Solved]
« on: February 19, 2011, 06:51:25 pm »

Is there a way to see Lightroom 3 Keywords in MC16?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Lightroom 3 Keywords & MC16
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 01:25:33 am »

My Lightroom 3 keywords are saved to the iptc keywords tag of exported jpg files and MC imports them without a problem.

At this time, MC cannot read keywords saved in lightroom's hierarchical format, so I've turned that option off.

-marko.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 11:24:59 am »

Thanks marko,

Once you confirmed it should work I dug deeper. I did not have the LR3 option to "Automatically write changes into XMP". So the keywords were not written to the files. Once I set that option and saved metadata to file, the keywords showed up in MC.

I'm not using any hierarchical keywords, so I should be OK here. I can't find the option you referred to. Is it the one that comes up when you export or is there a general option somewhere?

Also, in LR3 if I try to save the metadata it says "this photo was changed in an external application. Should Lightroom overwrite the settings on disk?" If I say overwrite settings it messes up the Genre tag I had set in MC. As an example, it changes Air Show to Air. Any idea what is happening here?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 02:35:33 pm »

I'm not using any hierarchical keywords, so I should be OK here. I can't find the option you referred to. Is it the one that comes up when you export or is there a general option somewhere?
The option is in the "Metadata" section of the "Export" options dialogue. I have both available options deselected.

Also, in LR3 if I try to save the metadata it says "this photo was changed in an external application. Should Lightroom overwrite the settings on disk?" If I say overwrite settings it messes up the Genre tag I had set in MC. As an example, it changes Air Show to Air. Any idea what is happening here?
This is lightroom's equivalent of MC's "update for external changes" thing.
If MC (or anything else) updates the tag data of the files lightroom detects the change and gives you a choice to either import the new tag data, or over-write the tag data with the information held in its library.

I don't use [genre] in MC for my image files because I don't think it handles things correctly. The following is based purely upon my own personal observations only....

• MC maps its [genre] field to the IPTC "Category" field and writes the full genre content to that iptc field.
  • AcdSee contains a predefined set of IPTC categories, such as "Lifestyle", "Human Interest" etc. When one of these is chosen, the "Category" tag is written as "LIF", "HUM", etc. AcdSee cannot interpret an IPTC category field that does not follow this three letter truncation system.
  • Lightroom 3 allows any text to typed into the IPTC category field, but only saves the first three characters in the file tag itself.

I have not investigated whether or not there are "industry standards" regarding the IPTC category field, nor which program is right or wrong, I just needed the MC tag data to be safe, so I use a [Subject] field instead of [genre].

-marko

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:45:52 pm »

Thanks for the help...

When LR3 messes up my MC Genres it is truncating them to 3 positions. Note: sometimes it does not truncate, but when it does it is always to 3 characters.

According to a Google search, it looks like IPTC "Category" is a 3 character field. I'll pick something else to use for Genre for my images.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
Re: Lightroom 3 Keywords & MC16 [Solved]
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:23:53 am »

With the help of marko, all is solved...

All my tags are now flowing through to MC. MC handles them very nicely. ;D

I stopped using Genre for my pictures. I used another tag instead. The truncating issue stopped as a result.
Pages: [1]   Go Up