INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 (x64) and Network Drives Issue  (Read 934 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Windows 7 (x64) and Network Drives Issue
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:13:42 pm »

I have Windows 7 (x64) build 7000 (the original beta build) installed on two of my machines, and I'm seeing a consistent problem with both of them and MC13.

If I reboot my machine and then open MC, ALL of my media files which live on network drives are all shown with Xs (missing) and will not play (gives the "none of the files were able to play" error).  This happens even if I've opened the drive up in Windows Explorer and browsed around before I launch MC.  If, after I launch MC and all the Xs are shown, I open the Network Drive up in Windows Explorer, it works fine.  I'm able to browse around and play files from Windows Explorer using MPC and VLC and other players.  MC won't play anything from my library though.  It is like it just refuses to try.

To fix it, I have to close MC and then re-open it.  Assuming I don't get the JRTools.dll error (which I reported in the current build thread), then it works and all the files play.

This happens EVERY TIME I reboot.  I haven't really tested "timing" (to see if rebooting and then waiting a long, long time before opening MC makes any difference), but just using it normally I've consistently seen this issue.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Windows 7 (x64) and Network Drives Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 04:52:59 pm »

With Vista I used to have a problem where a mapped drive would work differently depending on if you were in an elevated process or not.  I think it was a UAC security thing, but it always just felt like a Vista bug.

I haven't seen anything like this on Windows 7.

But in a coming build, we added this:
NEW: When loading a library or starting playback of a file on a network (mapped drive or UNC) Media Center will try to reconnect, with a login dialog if needed, to unavailable network resources.

The popup dialog for a missing / locked network resource isn't great, but I think it's better than the file refusing to play or a library not loading.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up