INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTPC question  (Read 1923 times)

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
HTPC question
« on: April 21, 2009, 10:19:40 am »

So what is the minimum video card/cpu/memory needed for a HTPC to be able to play blu-ray?  The current TV is a 720p job but the pc needs to be able to do 1080.

I've an old AMD 2GHz with 1GB of memory that I'm running now.   I'm certain the vanilla nvidia 6800 isn't up to the task.  I'm hoping I can get away with just a new video card and memory update.  Might put a cheap SSD in the box, too.

Preferences for blu-ray DVD rom drives?

Right now this is all in an antec sonota case.  This would be awful but it is hidden behind everything.  If I need a new CPU suggestions for small motherboards would be appreciated.

Thanks!

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
Re: HTPC question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:37:46 am »

If you want to stay with the older AMD machine you have, you're going to have to go with a 'better' video card to minimize the amount of CPU that is required to run video.

The card is going to have to have on-board HD decode and preferably HDMI with integrated audio decoding too.  The more oomph you put into a video card the easier the rest of your system will be.

AMD did make a Socket A Sempron 3000 that is really a full-blown Athlon MP.  It got the Sempron name because at the time, AMD was making the big shift to 64 bit / multi-core and wanted the Athlon name to move forward with that tech.

Anyway, A Sempron 3000 should slot right into your machine.  That and another gig of ram will make quite a difference.

But do add up the numbers.  Say a new cpu and ram costs you $150 and a video card another $100-.

You still have a 5+ year old machine.

A new mobo/ram/dual-core cpu comb0 deal with modern on-board video can be found as package deals for approx $300-.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:48:19 pm »

Funny.  A quick search found a guy with a nearly identical setup.  He was going to get an ATI HD 4650.  About $50 and is good enough to handle the bulk of blu-ray work.  I think it uses 30w max.

If it doesn't work it will be the video for a new HTPC.

Thanks for the help.

Daydream

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 11:14:56 pm »

Get one with an HDMI port built in. And yes a 4650 does the job - I have one. Just keep in mind that for ~$50 you won't get to play many games in 1080p, if you get into that idea at some point.

Note: the 4xxx series does 7.1 PCM out via HDMI. Not all AVRs cooperate right away but eventually most do.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:20:50 am »

ATI HD4550 is perfect for the job.
JRiver CEO Elect

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 11:37:32 am »

Oh, my.  $40 AND passively cooled.

Now to find a Blu-Ray DVD ROM.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 01:22:03 pm »

ATI HD4550 is perfect for the job.
Sure seems nice.  No fans!

One tip for anyone reading this.  If you get the gigabyte version don't bother with the disc that comes with it.  Just go to AMD and get fresh drivers.

Still need to pick a blu-ray.  Any tips in selecting one?  Any horror stories?
Pages: [1]   Go Up