INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any help building this smartlist?  (Read 1735 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Any help building this smartlist?
« on: April 27, 2009, 07:18:41 am »

I would like to create a smartlist that reads the artist field and genre fields; Any artist which has more than 1 genre applied to it, I would like to be displayed in a smart list. For instance, if I have 6 Beatles albums, and some of them are "Pop Rock" others are "Pop/Rock" while still others are "Brit", I would like them to appear in a list, while if all my Nirvana songs were labeled "Grunge" for them to stay off the list.

Also, can I limit the files this searches to a specific playlist (ie "Full Albums")? That way when it searches my entire library and finds Aerosmith on the Armageddon soundtrack in a genre "Soundtrack" it won't add those to this smartlist.

This may be difficult to do, or even impossible, but any help is much appreciated!

eba

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Any help building this smartlist?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:41:15 am »

Try

Playlists is any Full Albums

Remove duplicates of Artist;Genre
Only duplicates of Artist
Expand to full albums
Sory by Artist...

(that's
playlistid==786247104 ~nodup=[Artist],[Genre] ~dup=[Artist] ~a ~sort=[Artist]
replacing the playlistid of course...)

It's not perfect as if you have two albums of the same genre for the same person, but another of a different genre, you'll only get the one album of each genre.  Unfortunately there's no 'expand all artists' rule.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:07:29 am »

this is only giving me 1 track per album in question. is there a way for it detect that if a particular album is displayed at all in this smartlist, it shows all tracks from that album?

also, this only works if there is a genre discrepency within an album. i am trying to label all my music by an artist in the same genre. even though some aerosmith music is more pop or pop rock, and some is more rock and roll, i label all aerosmith songs as rock and roll. if i have one album labeled entirely pop rock, and another entirely labeled as rock and roll, this smartlist will not catch it.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:03:20 am »

would this work for you?
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Genre]=[] ~limit=-1,1,[genre],[artist] ~dup=[Artist] ~a
gives only two albums when an artists has two different genres.

:)
gab

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:11:25 am »

this is only giving me 1 track per album in question.
If you've got the Expand to Full albums rule (~a) in there it should give you the whole album.

if i have one album labeled entirely pop rock, and another entirely labeled as rock and roll, this smartlist will not catch it.
It should do, sure you've copied it in correctly?

gappie

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 07:29:14 am »

an other option could be to make a scheme like in the attachment. set the top with only artists, and view as artist details. put genre in the collumn, and when an artist has several genres it will show up as varies.

just a thought.

gab

edit: or as in att 2

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:28:52 am »

an other option could be to make a scheme like in the attachment. set the top with only artists, and view as artist details. put genre in the collumn, and when an artist has several genres it will show up as varies.

just a thought.

gab

edit: or as in att 2

nice idea, I like it :)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 05:43:38 pm »

would this work for you?
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Genre]=[] ~limit=-1,1,[genre],[artist] ~dup=[Artist] ~a
gives only two albums when an artists has two different genres.

gab

this is the closet to what i want... however, i would rather it show me all the albums if an artist has 2 different genres. what would i change in the expression to get that?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 01:21:41 am »

this is the closet to what i want... however, i would rather it show me all the albums if an artist has 2 different genres. what would i change in the expression to get that?
I don't think this one is do-able.

Both gappie's and eba's solutions will give you one example of each artist/genre combo that you have. (note that gappie's rule excludes all tracks with empty genre fields)

So, if an artist in your library has 4 albums, two tagged genre A and two tagged genre B, you will get one of each. If you change the B to A, you now have 3 albums tagged A and one tagged B... refreshing the smartlist will bring that other B genre album into view.

Personally, I think the detailed library view suggested by gappie above is your best bet for managing this task.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up