INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v6.0.2]  (Read 460550 times)

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
Re: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iTouch)
« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2009, 02:35:16 am »

Thanks zxsix I'll fix that later.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #251 on: July 22, 2009, 04:27:25 am »

v4.5.2;

• Fixed: Couple of tooltips said comma-delimited rather than semi-colon delimited
  • Added tool tips to main sync dialog to explain the options there
  • Increased tool tip hide delay from 5secs to 30secs

Hertz2

« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2009, 10:07:46 am »

One possible improvement:
You may have noticed that the playlist on the iPod Classic do not have a hierarchy when synced using JMC, but have one when synced using iTunes - the same one as the playlist folder structure in iTunes.

When the playlists used for syncing the iPod Classic with iTunes are the ones made on JRiver MC, they appear on the iPod in a structure under the "MC Playlists" folder. I don't know if I'm being clear.

I'm trying to find a way to get rid of that hierarchy on the iPod Classic, that is, to get rid of the "MC Playlists" folder on the iPod. Maybe something could be done about that later.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #253 on: July 23, 2009, 11:06:02 am »

Really, it does that? I had no idea. I wonder why the iPhone/iTouch doesn't have that?  >:(

I've just tested it on the missus's nano and I see what you mean... I'll look at it.

Hertz2

« Reply #254 on: July 23, 2009, 02:39:41 pm »

I just discovered that too. And thanks for this fantastic soft!

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2009, 06:10:53 am »

Thanx .... ok I think I've got the logic down with this little problem. You opened up a can of worms there Hertz!

So, in v4.6 the two playlist sync choices are now;

• Synchronize to the root playlist folder in iTunes
    • MCiS will create the playlists directly under the Playlists section in iTunes. Playlists that already exist in the root of the Playlists section in iTunes but are not selected for synchronize will not be removed. However, a playlist will be removed from iTunes where that playlist's parent folder is selected for synchronize and the playlist does not exist in MC.
  • Synchronize to a specifed folder in iTunes
    • You specify a folder in which to put the playlists in iTunes (note that this should be a unique name in your iTunes playlist folders). Note that all existing playlists in this iTunes playlist folder you specify will be deleted. If the iTunes playlist folder does not exist, MCiS will create it. MCiS will sync the MC playlists you select into that folder.

The latter choice is the same as it was before (that is, the only choice that existed before), I just included it to be thorough.

Give me a shout if that's not so clear....  :-\

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #256 on: July 24, 2009, 06:49:13 am »

v4.6 - full list of changes;

• Added option to synchronize playlists to the root of the iTunes Playlists section
  • Fixed On-The-Go playlists sync option was being ignored if Synchronize playlists to MC wasn't selected
  • If the phrase HideFromSync: Yes exists in a playlist's or playlist group's notes the playlist or playlist group (inc. children) will not appear in the tree for sync
  • RebuildOnSync: Yes or RebuildOnSync: No can now be specified in the notes of playlist groups

Hertz2

« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2009, 12:37:57 pm »

That was fast!
Thank you, I will try that.

Hertz2

« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2009, 04:42:03 pm »

It works perfect.
Thank you.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2009, 08:07:10 pm »

Prod,

I love the MC iTunes Syncronizer, but I want to ask one question.

If you knew when you started that this was going to be such a big job, would you have even started? This is turning into a full blown application with lots of features and options. Not complaining at all, but you sure must have invested a huge amount of time on it.

Randy

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #260 on: July 25, 2009, 05:58:09 am »

Hmm would I have even started? Tough one...  :)  At first I thought it was a very simple concept and easy to implement, so didn't think I'd be spending much time on it. In fact the first incarnation took me just a couple of hours, which when I think about it now was merely the groundwork - but at the time it made a huge difference to the way we managed our iPods. So once my interest was piqued with that initial success, I started thinking about what else it could do... and the suggestions from others have been excellent.

I've enjoyed it so of course I'd do it all over again - plus there's no way I would ever go back to all that messing about to get the household's several iPods sync'd properly. Putting up with one media player's idiosyncrasies was bad enough, but putting up with two was unbearable - I never knew what was going to happen when I (or anyone else) plugged an iPod in. Being the tech-savvy person of the house the tech support calls were getting tiresome. There is no better way to manage your audio than with MC, but there is no better way to sync your iPod-related device than with iTunes - it just works (though I realise that Apple are the prime manipulators of that particular situation). So, I suppose MCiS was born of frustration.

I said to the wife the other day "Right, that MUST be it, I can't believe there's anything more to add to this bl**dy software!". She replied "You always say that".....  ::)

I believe it's been well worth the time spent, very glad you all appreciate it.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #261 on: July 25, 2009, 09:11:00 am »

I said to the wife the other day "Right, that MUST be it, I can't believe there's anything more to add to this bl**dy software!". She replied "You always say that".....  ::)

I think your wife has you figured out. :)

I agree with you that MC is the best tool to manage your library. Also, iTunes is best way to sync the iPhones/iPods. Maybe Apple should not be so closed and disruptive, but they are. Even if they were not, there are also things like the App Store that can only be synced from iTunes anyway.

I was originally pushed back to iTunes for syncing when I got my first iPhone. I then found that if I have to use iTunes for the iPhone, it's would easier to use iTunes for all Apple devices (I have many iPhones and iPods). So I've been using MC to manage my library and iTunes for all of my syncing.

So thank you for building MC iTunes Synchronizer. It is a bridge between MC and iTunes that provides seamless support the Apple products.  ;D

Randy

jack wallstreet

Simple Needs - one way synching - what should be checked/not checked
« Reply #262 on: July 25, 2009, 10:49:21 pm »

I tried the Synchronizer today and am very, very appreciative of not only the effort, but also the excellent program.  Thank you.  Thank you.

One quesiton though,

I am only interested in synching in one direction - from MC (using MC14) to Itunes.  I want I tunes to have only the playlists I have on MC (I live through playlists) and I never ever want any changes to the MC library.  I often change my playlists, however, and they need to be updated (synched) in Itunes.  I have no need for any special fields in Itunes.

Are there settings or non-setting that ensure only one way synchng. 

John

Hertz2

« Reply #263 on: July 26, 2009, 03:34:27 am »

I may have two more small issues.

First, the track ratings do not seem to sync from iTunes to MC. Thought I generally don't need anything to sync this way round, I do need the track ratings to sync from the iPod/iPhone to MC, which means that if I use iTunes to manage the Pods, I need the track ratings to sync from iTunes to MC.
I thought the "Fields to aggregate/ratings" checkbox would do the trick, but it doesn't.
No big deal, I can use the on-the-go playlists instead.

Second, the MC/iTunes sync does not seem to delete tracks in iTunes when they are no longer in MC. Maybe there is something in iTunes to do that automatically though, I don't know.
Now, again, it is no big deal: iTunes will simply tell me that the said tracks will not be synced to the Pod. It looks funny but I can live with it.

Hertz2

« Reply #264 on: July 26, 2009, 03:41:27 am »

Actually, the no-delete issue does create a small problem.
Example: I change the "album" field on a track in MC. Then I sync with iTunes.
Now, in the iTunes library, I have the track twice: one with the new "album" field, which works ; one with the old "album" field, which does not (iTunes tells me it can't find it).

Now, when I sync the iPod/iPhone, iTunes loads the "new" track into the Pod, which is good. But it does not remove the old one, because it thinks it is still in its library and, as a consequence, should remain on the Pod.

So there is a certain potential for trouble here, when you think about it!

Sorry if I opened up a new can of worms!

prod

• Play nice
Re: Simple Needs - one way synching - what should be checked/not checked
« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2009, 05:36:45 am »

I tried the Synchronizer today and am very, very appreciative of not only the effort, but also the excellent program.  Thank you.  Thank you.

One quesiton though,

I am only interested in synching in one direction - from MC (using MC14) to Itunes.  I want I tunes to have only the playlists I have on MC (I live through playlists) and I never ever want any changes to the MC library.  I often change my playlists, however, and they need to be updated (synched) in Itunes.  I have no need for any special fields in Itunes.

Thanks jack... at the moment there is no option to do this, though it may be possible to open the MC library read-only. I'm not sure what other problems that might cause, but I can do a quick test to find out.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #266 on: July 26, 2009, 05:37:56 am »

I think your wife has you figured out. :)

Oh definitely...  :)

Cheers Randy.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #267 on: July 26, 2009, 05:43:54 am »

First, the track ratings do not seem to sync from iTunes to MC. Thought I generally don't need anything to sync this way round, I do need the track ratings to sync from the iPod/iPhone to MC, which means that if I use iTunes to manage the Pods, I need the track ratings to sync from iTunes to MC.
I thought the "Fields to aggregate/ratings" checkbox would do the trick, but it doesn't.
No big deal, I can use the on-the-go playlists instead.

Second, the MC/iTunes sync does not seem to delete tracks in iTunes when they are no longer in MC. Maybe there is something in iTunes to do that automatically though, I don't know.
Now, again, it is no big deal: iTunes will simply tell me that the said tracks will not be synced to the Pod. It looks funny but I can live with it.

Track ratings should be bi-directional, and I'm not sure why they are not for you, because it's working here no probs. Does the log say it tried to alter the rating in MC? Get one of the files where the rating didn't come across and let me know the values of the iTunes Rating, MC Rating and the MC field iTunesRatingSync.

Your second point - do you have Fix Broken Links in iTunes selected in the Settings dialog?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #268 on: July 26, 2009, 08:44:30 am »

FYI I had a look at optionally making the library read-only and it doesn't look like a good solution to me.

Next version I'll look at putting some kind of "Snapshot to iTunes" option somewhere that will allow the user to simply export all info to iTunes.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #269 on: July 26, 2009, 09:13:53 pm »

Next version I'll look at putting some kind of "Snapshot to iTunes" option somewhere that will allow the user to simply export all info to iTunes.

Thank you very much!!!

That would make me worry less about unintentional changes to the MC database.  I really only want to use ITunes to load the Iphone.  I don't need play counts or antyhing.
John

Hertz2

« Reply #270 on: July 27, 2009, 02:39:44 am »

In fact, it no longer works. I get a "could not access jriver Media Center" message (besides the "synchronize" button").
I thought I had solved that by running as administrator, but that no longer works (it's on W7RC).
I'll make the verifications when I get it to work again.

Hertz2

« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2009, 02:41:26 am »

By the way, MC is present as a portable install, so I don't know how MCIS is supposed to find it. The browse button is also inactive.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #272 on: July 27, 2009, 05:01:25 am »

Hmm not sure about portable installs. You would at least have to load MC up first before running the sync - a portable install won't be registered so, as you rightly say, MCiS wouldn't know where to find it. The open log button only becomes active when a log exists on disk.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2009, 06:46:10 am »

By the way, MC is present as a portable install, so I don't know how MCIS is supposed to find it. The browse button is also inactive.
A portable install is meant for a USB stick.  If you're using a laptop, choose a normal install.

Hertz2

« Reply #274 on: July 27, 2009, 08:05:10 am »

Prod: both problems apparently fixed using normal install. Thanks.

JimH: portable install could be extremely convenient if you have to wipe your system drive in order to reinstall the OS. Apart from some inconveniences like the one I just encountered (or the fact that the shell functions did not seem to work well), I don't see the advantages of the normal install.

Besides, reinstalling the OS is generally a problem with MC because the Library manager is not very good. I would like to be able to:
- set the library folder on D: once and for all;
- when reinstalling the OS and then MC, simply tell MC to go look for the library in the D: folder where I had put it;
- do all that easily.
Maybe I'm a little bit slow, but the library managing functions seem confusing and not very convenient to me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #275 on: July 27, 2009, 08:13:22 am »

JimH: portable install could be extremely convenient if you have to wipe your system drive in order to reinstall the OS. Apart from some inconveniences like the one I just encountered (or the fact that the shell functions did not seem to work well), I don't see the advantages of the normal install.
Please do not use it for anything other than a USB stick, or portable drive.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #276 on: July 27, 2009, 08:56:12 am »

Hertz, you love opening those cans of worms don't you?  ;D

Hertz2

« Reply #277 on: July 27, 2009, 09:51:31 am »

Yes, I must admit.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #278 on: July 27, 2009, 09:57:04 am »

v4.6.5 - added command line argument;

• /NoAggregate - Overrides the aggregated field calculations and performs a simple export from MC to iTunes of these fields instead

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #279 on: July 28, 2009, 09:40:19 pm »

Hi prod,

Question for you.

I have 17,504 MP3 files.

When I sync, and nothing is changed, 0 tracks are synchronized. This is what you would expect.

If I include Lyrics, and nothing is changed, 135 tracks are synchronized. I can repeat the synchronization, and it will always synchronize 135 tracks.

So obviously it thinks something has changed, even though nothing has changed.

So here is my question. My lyrics are embedded in the MP3 files (I assume). So what is being synchronized? Are the lyrics also stored in either the MC or iTunes libraries? If the lyrics are stored in the iTunes library, is that what iTunes uses to sync iPods or iPhones? Or will it use the lyrics in the MP3 file.

The reason I ask is I want the lyrics in the iPod and iPhone to be current, but I don't really use iTunes for anything than syncing. So the simple solution may be to not sync lyrics with your MC iTunes Synchronizer. It's also faster.

Randy

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #280 on: July 28, 2009, 09:49:59 pm »

FYI for all of the happy users of prod's MC iTunes Synchronizer. A must have for MC users with an iPhone or iTouch.

If you go to Settings on the main page you will find a button labeled Donate. I suggest clicking on the this button.  ;)

I was not aware until recently that this button existed. It is a way to show thanks for all of the effort prod put into this must have application.

Randy

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #281 on: July 28, 2009, 11:36:20 pm »

So here is my question. My lyrics are embedded in the MP3 files (I assume). So what is being synchronized? Are the lyrics also stored in either the MC or iTunes libraries? If the lyrics are stored in the iTunes library, is that what iTunes uses to sync iPods or iPhones? Or will it use the lyrics in the MP3 file.

My lyrics are embedded in the tags.
I don't check any of the boxes in the "fields to export from MC to itunes" section.
Everything that is important to me from that list exists in the file tags.
 I get lyrics on the iphone.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #282 on: July 29, 2009, 08:36:10 am »

My lyrics are embedded in the tags.
I don't check any of the boxes in the "fields to export from MC to itunes" section.
Everything that is important to me from that list exists in the file tags.
 I get lyrics on the iphone.

Thanks...

I'll turn of lyrics and take another look at the other fields. Other than lyrics I had everything set to the defaults.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #283 on: July 29, 2009, 12:42:00 pm »

Hi prod,

Question for you.

I have 17,504 MP3 files.

When I sync, and nothing is changed, 0 tracks are synchronized. This is what you would expect.

If I include Lyrics, and nothing is changed, 135 tracks are synchronized. I can repeat the synchronization, and it will always synchronize 135 tracks.

So obviously it thinks something has changed, even though nothing has changed.

The reason I ask is I want the lyrics in the iPod and iPhone to be current, but I don't really use iTunes for anything than syncing. So the simple solution may be to not sync lyrics with your MC iTunes Synchronizer. It's also faster.

Randy

Hi Randy

Those 135 tracks - I'm not absolutely sure why it's doing that, my tests regarding lyrics have turned out the same results as any other field. I must admit I don't use lyrics much myself so my tests haven't been what you might call extensive. Perhaps there is a character in them that iTunes "translates" into another character - thereby making the lyrics in iTunes different to those held in MC. This would cause MCiS to keep trying to sync them on every run. If you email me the lyrics for one of those files I can test it out myself and get to the bottom of it. Probably will be something very simple. Or perhaps email me the <Track> section in the log of one of those tracks where it tells of the change?

You are correct that not selecting lyrics makes the sync faster (substantially in my experience). This is due to the internal workings of iTunes - I have no idea why iTunes takes so long to return Lyrics for a track, yet all other fields are returned relatively quickly.

Also you've brought up something I've been meaning to explain for a while. That is, in certain fairly common circumstances, there is no need to select some fields in the export-only section of MCiS. Those circumstances are if the file tags of each individual track are up-to-date. The reason is that when MCiS asks iTunes to return a track, iTunes first reads the file tags and automatically updates *some* fields in its database if they are different. It then returns the track complete with the updated info. And because MCiS asks for every track in the iTunes library, all those tracks are updated. It's kind of like right-clicking a file in iTunes and selecting "Get Info" for every single track in your library. Quite good really, because I know, for instance, that the album artwork is automatically updated in this way if changed using MC. I haven't had the inclination to test this behaviour for every field so sorry I haven't got a definitive list of which fields are updated in this way. It may well be that "Lyrics" is one of those fields.

The MC iTunes Synchronizer is designed in such a way that the less checkboxes you select, the faster the sync will be. Some fields are faster to retrieve than others of course so you may not notice a difference, but as we've all noticed Lyrics are particularly slow.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #284 on: July 29, 2009, 09:05:42 pm »

Hi Randy

Those 135 tracks - I'm not absolutely sure why it's doing that, my tests regarding lyrics have turned out the same results as any other field. I must admit I don't use lyrics much myself so my tests haven't been what you might call extensive. Perhaps there is a character in them that iTunes "translates" into another character - thereby making the lyrics in iTunes different to those held in MC. This would cause MCiS to keep trying to sync them on every run. If you email me the lyrics for one of those files I can test it out myself and get to the bottom of it. Probably will be something very simple. Or perhaps email me the <Track> section in the log of one of those tracks where it tells of the change?

You are correct that not selecting lyrics makes the sync faster (substantially in my experience). This is due to the internal workings of iTunes - I have no idea why iTunes takes so long to return Lyrics for a track, yet all other fields are returned relatively quickly.

Also you've brought up something I've been meaning to explain for a while. That is, in certain fairly common circumstances, there is no need to select some fields in the export-only section of MCiS. Those circumstances are if the file tags of each individual track are up-to-date. The reason is that when MCiS asks iTunes to return a track, iTunes first reads the file tags and automatically updates *some* fields in its database if they are different. It then returns the track complete with the updated info. And because MCiS asks for every track in the iTunes library, all those tracks are updated. It's kind of like right-clicking a file in iTunes and selecting "Get Info" for every single track in your library. Quite good really, because I know, for instance, that the album artwork is automatically updated in this way if changed using MC. I haven't had the inclination to test this behaviour for every field so sorry I haven't got a definitive list of which fields are updated in this way. It may well be that "Lyrics" is one of those fields.

The MC iTunes Synchronizer is designed in such a way that the less checkboxes you select, the faster the sync will be. Some fields are faster to retrieve than others of course so you may not notice a difference, but as we've all noticed Lyrics are particularly slow.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Hi prod,

I sent you an email with an example of the lyrics.  I have lyrics for about 16,000 tracks and only 135 appear to be creating trouble. Your probably right, some character is not being interpreted correctly by iTunes.

Do you know what happens when iTunes syncs the iPod/iPhone? Does it use info in the iTunes library or does it use the info in the file tags? I always (I think) have my file tags current. I manage all of this is MC.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #285 on: July 30, 2009, 05:48:35 am »

Do you know what happens when iTunes syncs the iPod/iPhone? Does it use info in the iTunes library or does it use the info in the file tags? I always (I think) have my file tags current. I manage all of this is MC.

It uses the info in the iTunes library - any changes made to file tags outside of iTunes won't be picked up by iTunes unless you give it reason to - e.g. running a sync from MCiS or right-clicking the individual file (selecting multiple files doesn't work the same way) and selecting "Get Info".

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #286 on: July 30, 2009, 09:13:33 am »

Thanks prod...

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #287 on: July 30, 2009, 02:35:46 pm »

Of course incredibly and infamously no matter what you do iTunes will not read from or write to the "Rating" tag. Even tearing your hair out doesn't help. That's another major reason I started writing MCiS, I got so, so tired of sync'ing those ratings manually...

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #288 on: July 30, 2009, 04:54:38 pm »

Of course incredibly and infamously no matter what you do iTunes will not read from or write to the "Rating" tag. Even tearing your hair out doesn't help. That's another major reason I started writing MCiS, I got so, so tired of sync'ing those ratings manually...

That's the #1 reason why itunes cannot even be considered as a contender as a media management application.

#2 reason is no support for common lossless formats such as flac and ape.

#3 reason is calling an xml file a database.

There are many more, but I'll stop there.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #289 on: July 30, 2009, 09:24:02 pm »

That's the #1 reason why itunes cannot even be considered as a contender as a media management application.

#2 reason is no support for common lossless formats such as flac and ape.

#3 reason is calling an xml file a database.

There are many more, but I'll stop there.

iTunes only has 2 strong points.
#1 it can be used by almost anyone (trade off is it does not do much)
#2 it can sync all of their devices (iPods, iPhones, and iTouch)

That's why MC iTunes Synchronizer is such a great application. You can have the best of both worlds (e.g. not have to live with the trade offs in point #1 but still do point #2).

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2009, 04:34:20 am »

Totally agree, MCiT offers the best of both worlds. Another thing it does for me is allow me to use Airport Express for affordable multiroom audio with the great Apple Remote software on Iphone. Until MC comes with native support for hardware players that can be set-up multizone this is the way to go for me.

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2009, 05:07:00 am »

iTunes only has 2 strong points.
#1 it can be used by almost anyone (trade off is it does not do much)
#2 it can sync all of their devices (iPods, iPhones, and iTouch)

That's why MC iTunes Synchronizer is such a great application. You can have the best of both worlds (e.g. not have to live with the trade offs in point #1 but still do point #2).
I totally agree : apart from that, iTunes really sucks ! I've been obliged to install it yesterday (iPhone contamination) and I wish I had another solution. Can't wait to try MC iTunes Synchronizer...

Raph

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2009, 10:49:15 am »

v4.7.1

• Fixed iTunes inserts linefeeds into Lyrics on sync sometimes causing a perpetual difference - the linefeeds are now stripped out for comparison purposes only
  • Changed the way playlists are removed when syncing to the root folder (details follow)
    • Synchronize to the root playlist folder in iTunes
      • MCiS will create the playlists directly under the Playlists section in iTunes. Playlists will be removed from iTunes where a playlist exists in MC but has not been selected for synchronization. Also, a playlist will be removed from iTunes where the parent folder is selected for synchronize and the playlist does not exist in MC.

EDIT: Found UI bug when using right-click expressions menus - fixed in v4.7.2

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2009, 12:18:56 pm »

v4.7.1

Fixed iTunes inserts linefeeds into Lyrics on sync sometimes causing a perpetual difference - the linefeeds are now stripped out for comparison purposes only

Fix verified. Thanks...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iTouch) [v4.7.2]
« Reply #294 on: August 02, 2009, 05:31:42 am »

Hi Prod, I'm 8-hours into my hate relationship with the son's iTouch but your work has given me (some) hope! 

I've a Question on the File Mapping for Lossless (from the very good guide).  I have WMA Lossless and also FLAC.  My current expression is: Replace([Filename (path)],\\Server\Music\,C:\Users\Lachlan\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\)Replace([Filename (name)],wma,mp3) as I have mostly WMA files but it obviously now does not work with my flac files.  Is there:
1) an expression to replace WMA & FLAC with MP3 OR
2) do I need to convert all my FLAC to WMA (or vice versa)

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #295 on: August 02, 2009, 06:11:01 am »

This should do it;

Code: [Select]
Replace([Filename (path)],\\Server\Music\,C:\Users\Lachlan\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\)Replace(Replace([Filename (name)],.flac,.mp3),.wma,.mp3)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #296 on: August 02, 2009, 06:38:33 am »

This should do it;

Code: [Select]
Replace([Filename (path)],\\Server\Music\,C:\Users\Lachlan\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\)Replace(Replace([Filename (name)],.flac,.mp3),.wma,.mp3)

Works perfectly ... given the sync is always to MP3 is it worth just having the expression replace all extensions with MP3?

Thanks for the work on the Synchronizer and please have a pint on me (small donation deposited)!

Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #297 on: August 02, 2009, 06:55:19 am »

Cheers! I'll enjoy that later...

I don't think there's an expression that will just replace all extensions with MP3, you have to specify each of them ...

You could keep replacing [Filename (name)] in the expression with Replace([Filename (name)],file_ext_old,file_ext_new) for every single file extension you can think of, but it'd be quite a long expression.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #298 on: August 02, 2009, 06:59:31 am »

Thanks - just a thought and as I've only got MP3 / FLAC / WMA I'm all set
JRiver CEO Elect

jack wallstreet

« Reply #299 on: August 13, 2009, 09:26:23 pm »

Prod,

I used 4.7.2 WITHOUT using the new noaggregate option.  However, I also didn't check any fields to aggregate and I didn't check any fields to export to MC.  Does that give me a "no change" to the MC library (export only to Itunes)?  Or is that a feature perhaps still to come?  I am not aware of any changes to the MC library when I updated the Itunes library.

John
John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 21   Go Up