INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v6.0.2]  (Read 460555 times)

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
Re: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v4.7.2]
« Reply #300 on: August 14, 2009, 05:43:07 am »

Hi John

If you de-select all fields in the "Fields to aggregate" group, then no change will be made to those fields in either iTunes or MC. Specifying /NoAggregate and selecting those same fields, changes will be made in iTunes but not MC - so those fields essentially become part of the "Fields to export to iTunes" group. That basically creates your "Snapshot to iTunes" feature.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #301 on: August 16, 2009, 08:45:38 pm »

If you de-select all fields in the "Fields to aggregate" group, then no change will be made to those fields in either iTunes or MC. Specifying /NoAggregate and selecting those same fields, changes will be made in iTunes but not MC - so those fields essentially become part of the "Fields to export to iTunes" group. That basically creates your "Snapshot to iTunes" feature.

Thank you Prod,  I thought that was making a snapshot of MC and sending it to Itunes with no changes to the MC database.  I am pleased to know that is what is happening.

John
John

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #302 on: August 23, 2009, 11:53:21 am »

upgraded to win7 64bit and the functionality, for me, has broken. when i click sync, it says Access to the path C:\Program Files\blahblahblah\MCiTunesSynchronizerSyncLog.xml is denied

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #303 on: August 23, 2009, 12:50:45 pm »

It's trying to write to the log and doesn't have the required access (Write/Create/Delete) permissions in your C:\Program Files\blahblahblah\ folder - try changing those permissions or select the "Log to Clipboard" option instead. Also, delete any existing MCiTunesSynchronizerSyncLog.xml in that folder - it may be locked or the file permissions set to read-only.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #304 on: August 23, 2009, 11:44:47 pm »

New iPhone uaer having trouble getting this to work.

Runnin MC 14.050 and the latest iTunes.  I have a large library (260k songs) and am trying to sync 4 playlists (about 7gb) to my iPhone.  I keep getting an out of memory error on the initial sync.  It seems to get about 1/2 way through loading the MC library.  Is my library too big perhaps?  (please say it ain't so!)

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2009, 05:04:37 am »

Is my library too big perhaps?  (please say it ain't so!)

I'm afraid so - but that's not a problem, you can create a view in MC that contains only the files you want to sync across and then use the /ViewScheme command line argument with MCiS. The synchronizer will then only sync the files in the view you specify.

prod

• Play nice
Re: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v4.8.1]
« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2009, 06:19:06 am »

v4.8.1;

• New command line argument /Playlist works much the same as the /ViewScheme argument except you can specify a playlist or smartlist
  • Improved progress messages when importing files into iTunes

The following command line arguments can be used:

• /StartSync - starts synchronization immediately on startup
  • /ExitAfterSync - exits once synchronization is complete
  • /RunMinimized - runs minimized
  • /NoAggregate - Overrides the aggregated field calculations and performs a simple export from MC to iTunes of these fields instead
  • /LibraryIndex - Loads the MC library at the specified zeo-based index (in MC's Library Manager)
  • /LibraryName - The name of the MC library specified in LibraryIndex
  • /LibraryPath - The path of the MC library specified in LibraryIndex
  • /ViewScheme - The MC view scheme path to use. Only tracks in this view scheme will be sync'd. If not specified the whole library is sync'd.
  • /Playlist - The MC playlist (or smartlist) path and name to use. Only tracks in this playlist will be sync'd. If not specified the whole library is sync'd.

You can not specify both a view scheme AND a playlist.

When using /LibraryIndex, either /LibraryName or /LibraryPath must be used along with it. If no library arguments are specified the currently loaded library is used.

Argument usage:

MCiTunesSynchronizer.exe [/StartSync] [/ExitAfterSync] [/RunMinimized] [/NoAggregate] [/LibraryIndex:n [/LibraryName:"sss"] [/LibraryPath:"ppp"]] [[/ViewScheme:"vvv"] | [/Playlist:"ppp"]]

Where n is the numbered index of the library to use, sss is the name of that library, fff is the path of that library, vvv is the name of the viewscheme (e.g. "Audio\Albums\MyView") and ppp is the name and path of the playlist (e.g. "Tasks\Miscellaneous\MCiS Sync Playlist").

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #307 on: August 24, 2009, 11:25:55 pm »

I'm afraid so - but that's not a problem, you can create a view in MC that contains only the files you want to sync across and then use the /ViewScheme command line argument with MCiS. The synchronizer will then only sync the files in the view you specify.

Okay - sounds good.  Any idea what I am doing wrong now?

I created a View Scheme based on a Playlist Group that has the 4 playlists I want to sync in it.
This is my Command Line:
C:\MCiTunesSynchronizer\MCiTunesSynchronizer.exe /StartSync /ViewScheme:"JensiPhone"

When I run this it launches the sync tool but starts trying to load the whole MC library again.  When I view the Scheme in MC it only shows 1234 files for a total of 7.3GB.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #308 on: August 25, 2009, 04:46:56 am »

You've got to put the full path and name of the view ... for instance, /ViewScheme:"Music\My View\JensiPhone".

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #309 on: August 25, 2009, 08:57:43 am »

You've got to put the full path and name of the view ... for instance, /ViewScheme:"Music\My View\JensiPhone".

hmmm.... It still loading the whole library.  When you say full path does this mean I need to save the view out to a file and then include the full path?  (I tried that - saved it out and referenced the path + filename of the saved view - it still tries to load the whole library)

If the path is just within MC and the View Scheme is right off the main Audio group then should my full path be Audio\JensiPhone?  (which I tired with no luck)  I also tried \JensiPhone, \Audio\JensiPhone & JensiPhone

I must be missing something.  Does the synchronizer need to be in a specific location?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #310 on: August 25, 2009, 01:18:20 pm »

Nope you don't have to do anything special ... I'm referring to the view scheme path in MC not any kind of physical file path. So, you're right in saying if you have the main view called Audio and directly underneath it you have JensiPhone, it would be /ViewScheme:"Audio\JensiPhone". Make sure the slashes are backslashes and you are using the exact names of the views, this is case-sensitive. You must also take into account any alternative language you have selected.

Have a look in the log - it will tell you in the <MC> section what view it is trying to retrieve. Maybe you could post that section here and I'll have a look.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #311 on: August 25, 2009, 02:03:46 pm »

Here's my command line:
C:\MCiTunesSynchronizer\MCiTunesSynchronizer.exe /StartSync /ViewScheme:"Audio\JensiPhone"

It still tries to load the whole library

I attached a snap of where this ViewScheme is in MC.

The View Scheme is simply made from a Playlist Group which has the 2 playlist I want to sync to the iPhone.  The ViewScheme appears to work as it only shows the 1234 files that are in the playlists and not the 270k in the library. 

Here's my log when I ran the above:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <MCiS Version="4.7.2.0" StartDateTime="2009-08-25T11:56:43" Options="3003A00BEFC1FFF" SyncFileTypes="mp3" ImportFileTypes="mp3;wav;m4a">
  <ExportPlaylists iTunesPlaylistFolder="MC Playlists" />
- <Expressions>
  <Expression Field="Name">[Name]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Artist">[Artist]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Album">[Album]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Album Artist">[Album Artist]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Comment">[Comment]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Composer">[Composer]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Description">[Description]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Disc #">[Disc #]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Track #">[Track #]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Genre">[Genre]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Grouping">[Grouping]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Lyrics">[Lyrics]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Year">[Year]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Mix Album">[Mix Album]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="BPM">[BPM]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Sort Name">[Name]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Sort Artist">[Artist]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Sort Album Artist">[Album Artist]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Sort Album">[Album]</Expression>
  <Expression Field="Sort Composer">[Composer]</Expression>
  </Expressions>
  <MC Version="14.0.50" LibraryName="DarJen Live 14" LibraryPath="C:\Data\Music\DarJenLive14\" ViewScheme="Audio\JensiPhone" />
  <iTunes Version="8.2.1.6" />
  <Result EndDateTime="2009-08-25T11:56:46">User exited the application.</Result>
  </MCiS>

trhunnicutt

• Recent member
« Reply #312 on: August 26, 2009, 06:59:21 am »

Hi Prod,

This looks awesome.  Haven't finished reading though all the replies, but I'm curious what specific custom field names I need to set up for Artist Sort, Name Sort, Album Sort, or is it done for me by the plug-in when it first runs

Second question, you mentioned iTunes and MC need to be on the same machine.  Can that be the same "physical" machine, but running under two different OSes... i.e. Mac OS X and Windows something on a MacBook?  The iTunes folder and Music folder can be shared under Parallels and Boot Camp.

That would be my ideal set-up, as I hate running iTunes under Windows... such a resource hog.

Best,

Tom

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #313 on: August 26, 2009, 07:14:22 am »

Here's my command line:
C:\MCiTunesSynchronizer\MCiTunesSynchronizer.exe /StartSync /ViewScheme:"Audio\JensiPhone"

It still tries to load the whole library

I attached a snap of where this ViewScheme is in MC.

The View Scheme is simply made from a Playlist Group which has the 2 playlist I want to sync to the iPhone.  The ViewScheme appears to work as it only shows the 1234 files that are in the playlists and not the 270k in the library.  

OK I've tested this and it works fine for me (using MC 14.0.50 & iTunes 8.2.1.6). Note that the /ViewScheme argument only affects the MC "caching" (loading into memory) process - that is, where the progress indicator says "Loading MC Library... x of y". In your instance, what is y? No matter what view you specify, MCiS will still iterate through every track in your iTunes library once the MC library is cached. The iTunes library is not cached.

Everything appears OK in your log so I'm not sure what's going wrong. If you still can't get it working, perhaps try the new /Playlist argument instead in v4.8.1.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #314 on: August 26, 2009, 07:54:38 am »

Hi Prod,

This looks awesome.  Haven't finished reading though all the replies, but I'm curious what specific custom field names I need to set up for Artist Sort, Name Sort, Album Sort, or is it done for me by the plug-in when it first runs

Second question, you mentioned iTunes and MC need to be on the same machine.  Can that be the same "physical" machine, but running under two different OSes... i.e. Mac OS X and Windows something on a MacBook?  The iTunes folder and Music folder can be shared under Parallels and Boot Camp.

That would be my ideal set-up, as I hate running iTunes under Windows... such a resource hog.

Best,

Tom

Hi Tom

MC and iTunes for Windows are required, it's not possible otherwise due to OS restrictions.

As for the sort fields, the defaults aren't very useful - you need to edit those to your own personal tastes, and it can get pretty complicated. I have them set so that articles (A, An, The) are moved to the end and albums are sorted by Artist, Year, Album.

The sort fields are particularly important sometimes, as they can help differentiate between albums of the same name. Greatest Hits albums can cause problems in the iTunes UI but using the Sort Album field you can sort it all out. Setting it all up properly in iTunes means it'll all be sorted properly on your iPod/iPhone/Touch too.

trhunnicutt

• Recent member
« Reply #315 on: August 26, 2009, 08:26:37 am »

Prod,

Thanks for the quick response.  Very cool.  Hey, that's OK re the OS.  I'll figure it out.

Am I missing something, or does MC not have predefined Library fields for the "Sort" varieties.

I'm well aware that you need to enter and massage the data/tags "somehow" and "somewhere" so that either iTunes or MC can read and respond.

But, in a sync, where would the values I entered into iTunes be entered/synced into MC?

That's where I want to make sure I set those Library Fields up right, the first time, as it relates to database naming shema/conventions.

Is it as simple as just matching the Field Labels for the sort stuff from iTunes?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #316 on: August 26, 2009, 09:22:51 am »

Success!
After a bit more farting around it turns out for some reason the Sychronizer didn't like my ViewScheme (which main scheme was a playlist group) even though it selected correctly what I wanted in MC.
I changed it to a standard view (artist/album etc) and then added modifiers to select the playlist and it worked!.
Thanks for your help!

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #317 on: August 26, 2009, 09:56:34 am »

Prod,

Thanks for the quick response.  Very cool.  Hey, that's OK re the OS.  I'll figure it out.

Am I missing something, or does MC not have predefined Library fields for the "Sort" varieties.

I'm well aware that you need to enter and massage the data/tags "somehow" and "somewhere" so that either iTunes or MC can read and respond.

But, in a sync, where would the values I entered into iTunes be entered/synced into MC?

That's where I want to make sure I set those Library Fields up right, the first time, as it relates to database naming shema/conventions.

Is it as simple as just matching the Field Labels for the sort stuff from iTunes?

Ahh gotcha... at least I think I do. I suppose it's not completely clear that you can do this, but if you right-click a field (e.g. Sort Album) in the synchronizer app, you can edit the MC expression that is used to retrieve the value to sync to iTunes. You can do this with almost all of the fields in that "export to iTunes" group.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #318 on: August 26, 2009, 09:59:32 am »

Success!
After a bit more farting around it turns out for some reason the Sychronizer didn't like my ViewScheme (which main scheme was a playlist group) even though it selected correctly what I wanted in MC.
I changed it to a standard view (artist/album etc) and then added modifiers to select the playlist and it worked!.
Thanks for your help!

No worries, glad you sorted it!

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #319 on: August 26, 2009, 11:44:14 am »

Tom,

I remember now I deliberately "hid" this feature because of the damage it can cause if you misuse it. Here's a quote from the instructions at the top:

MCiS includes the ability to sync using MC expressions by right-clicking the desired field. However, this should be used with the utmost care. Remember that altering a field in iTunes will in many cases write the value to the tag of the physical file also - and this in turn may then be picked up in MC, overwriting your original values! The outcome depends on your configuration in iTunes, MC and MCiS. You need to know exactly what you are doing to use this option, if you are not sure, please ask about it here on the MC forums or leave it alone. This option is included to allow the user to swap fields over, for instance use Composer for Artist, Album Artist (auto) for Sort Album Artist or such like. That's not all though, any expression, simple or complex, may be entered to be sync'd to the destination file. I personally recommend using this mainly with the iTunes Sort fields or when using the Use Alternative File Keys option.

Like I say, changing the default expressions for the Sort fields is pretty much risk-free... because MC doesn't use or even recognise those fields. However, changing the default expressions for any other fields should be done only in special circumstances and where you realise the implications.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #320 on: August 26, 2009, 06:06:52 pm »

Okay now that I am syncing successfully I have one little problem.
I am syncing four playlist: 2 regular MC playlists and 2 smartlists (random new tunes and random 4 or 5 stars - both of which generate new material each sync)
All the songs sync across okay but I don't get the two Smartlists into iTunes - just the regular MC playlists.  I searched and it seems that they should show up as regular smart lists in iTunes.

Any tricks.

*Very sweet tool btw*  Sure takes the pain out of syncing an iPhone.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #321 on: August 26, 2009, 08:29:17 pm »

Okay now that I am syncing successfully I have one little problem.
I am syncing four playlist: 2 regular MC playlists and 2 smartlists (random new tunes and random 4 or 5 stars - both of which generate new material each sync)
All the songs sync across okay but I don't get the two Smartlists into iTunes - just the regular MC playlists.  I searched and it seems that they should show up as regular smart lists in iTunes.

Any tricks.

*Very sweet tool btw*  Sure takes the pain out of syncing an iPhone.

prod may be asleep now, so I'll tell you how I think it works.

All MC playlists and smartlists are sync'd as iTunes playlists. For a MC smartlist list, it takes the generated list and creates a regular playlist in iTunes. This is because the iTunes smart playlist is not as smart as the MC smartlist, so it cannot be mapped.

trhunnicutt

• Recent member
« Reply #322 on: August 26, 2009, 09:13:07 pm »

Prod -- that answers the question. Can't believe I didn't ferret that out during the first quick read-thru... basically, I can set up the "Sort" fields using any naming shema my heart desires within MC.  Very cool.  Well done.  I may just have to reinstall iTunes using a "passive" install.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #323 on: August 26, 2009, 11:02:09 pm »

All MC playlists and smartlists are sync'd as iTunes playlists. For a MC smartlist list, it takes the generated list and creates a regular playlist in iTunes. This is because the iTunes smart playlist is not as smart as the MC smartlist, so it cannot be mapped.

yeah I got that and I'm cool with with a regular playlist instead of a smartlist but my problem is that the MC Smartlists are not showing up in iTunes at all - just the two regular ones show up in iTunes.  The songs from the two smartlists are getting transferred but the playlist isn't.
Here is what is etting sync'd from MC:

Here is what shows up in iTuns:

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #324 on: August 27, 2009, 05:58:47 am »

No may be about it  :)

Tom, cheers for that, glad you like it.

WinoOutWest ... if you have the playlist/smartlist selected in the tree, it should sync it. Randy's right, smartlists and playlists are treated exactly the same - have a look in the <ExportPlaylists> section of the log, this will contain every playlist that is checked to be sync'd into iTunes. Let me know what you find...

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #325 on: August 27, 2009, 09:47:31 am »

No may be about it  :)

Tom, cheers for that, glad you like it.

WinoOutWest ... if you have the playlist/smartlist selected in the tree, it should sync it. Randy's right, smartlists and playlists are treated exactly the same - have a look in the <ExportPlaylists> section of the log, this will contain every playlist that is checked to be sync'd into iTunes. Let me know what you find...

I checked the log and the 2 smartlists aren't there - only the regular playlists are there:
- <ExportPlaylists iTunesPlaylistFolder="MC Playlists">
  <Playlist Rebuild="True">Jen's iPhone\Jen's Sansa</Playlist>
  <Playlist Rebuild="True">Jen's iPhone\Jen's Workout</Playlist>
  </ExportPlaylists>

Remember I have a large library so I have to use the /ViewScheme switch.  I presume this has something to do with my ViewScheme again.  Has anyone got a ViewScheme that has Smartlists and playlist exporting correctly that I can compare to?  I don't really care what the ViewScheme looks like as its exclusive use is to facilitate the iPhone sync.
Cheers!

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #326 on: August 27, 2009, 10:34:41 am »

I use both the /ViewScheme argument and sync both smartlists & playlists without any problems... I'm sure this has nothing to do with the /ViewScheme argument, as all this affects is the caching of the MC library.

Make sure these 2 missing smartlists are in the list of playlists in the MCiS playlist tree and are both checked... If they are in the list, and are checked, when you exit MCiS the 2 missing smartlists should be in the <Playlists> section of the .settings file, as well as the other 2 playlists you have selected.

Failing this, post up a screenshot of MCiS so I can see what you have checked.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #327 on: August 27, 2009, 11:30:57 am »

I use both the /ViewScheme argument and sync both smartlists & playlists without any problems... I'm sure this has nothing to do with the /ViewScheme argument, as all this affects is the caching of the MC library.

Make sure these 2 missing smartlists are in the list of playlists in the MCiS playlist tree and are both checked... If they are in the list, and are checked, when you exit MCiS the 2 missing smartlists should be in the <Playlists> section of the .settings file, as well as the other 2 playlists you have selected.

Failing this, post up a screenshot of MCiS so I can see what you have checked.

hmm.. I couldn't see what was checked b/c it was way down the list - so I renamed my groups and found out that they weren't checked.  Checked them and they are syncing now!

Awesomeness!!  Thanks again for making this so effortless! (well effortless once its working!)  :)

one unrelated question (I'm totally new to Apple/iTunes) Any idea why about 60% of my Coverart doesn't come across to iTunes when I sync?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #328 on: August 27, 2009, 12:14:31 pm »

No probs & thanks, glad it's working for you... unfortunately, for cover art to work properly in iTunes, it needs to be embedded in each file, i.e. in the tags.

prod

• Play nice
Re: MC iTunes Synchronizer (using MC with an iPhone or iPod Touch) [v4.8.2]
« Reply #329 on: September 03, 2009, 06:23:59 am »

v4.8.2;

• Fixed Recently Ripped playlist showing wrong icon in tree
  • Some minor logging changes

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #330 on: September 10, 2009, 08:35:48 am »

FYI I've successfully tested MCiS with both MC13 & MC14 alongside iTunes 9.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #331 on: September 10, 2009, 09:15:24 am »

FYI I've successfully tested MCiS with both MC13 & MC14 alongside iTunes 9.

The advantage of using their APIs. I'm upgrading as I'm writing this.

Thanks for the heads up, and thanks again for a great product.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #332 on: September 12, 2009, 02:55:25 pm »

Prod,

A follow-up question if I may.  This relates to my desire to have only 1-way synchronization – that is, the Itunes library is the only thing updated, never the MC library.
When I sync, the only settings I check (in 4.8.2) are the “synchronize mc playlists to Itunes playlist folder” and “rebuild playlists from scratch.”  I do the later because I frequently update playlists, including sometimes just the order of the songs. I want them to be identical in Itunes.  I do also check some, but not all of the MC playlists.  I am not using any startup parameters. I have imported music into Itunes so it sees the same songs as MC (imported the same music directories)

Is the following true on sync with these settings (Based on your earlier comments, I think I have this right)

"The MC library database is never modified with these settings, even if something were to be out of synch in the Itunes library (a tag for instance).  Can’t think of how a change to MC could occur under these settings, but your instructions at the top of this thread make me a little nervous about that."

Thanks.  P.S.  I just updated using Itunes 9.0.  No problem, just as you reported.
John

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #333 on: September 12, 2009, 03:16:20 pm »

Hi Folks,

I'm a big fan of MC since v11, currently on 13. I've just ordered an iPod Touch. I won't have until Wednesday, but I've installed iTunes 9 in preparation. All of my music on a Windows Home Server (HP MediaSmart). MC13 imports the music share and has direct access to the files (I do all my ripping, tagging, and music management in MC). iTunes sees my music as a shared library, provided by the iTunes server running on the HP MediaSmart server.

I've explained all this to ask:
Will this set-up work with the iPod Touch?
Will this synchronizer work in this situation?
Sue

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #334 on: September 13, 2009, 09:52:17 am »

"The MC library database is never modified with these settings, even if something were to be out of synch in the Itunes library (a tag for instance).  Can’t think of how a change to MC could occur under these settings, but your instructions at the top of this thread make me a little nervous about that."

Yes with those settings nothing in your MC library will be changed. The instructions at the top apply only if you have the particular checkboxes checked.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #335 on: September 13, 2009, 10:24:22 am »

Will this set-up work with the iPod Touch?
Will this synchronizer work in this situation?

I've not tried this, but I don't think you can sync an iPod with music from a shared library. Also, MCiS will only sync files that exist in the local library, not the shared library.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #336 on: September 13, 2009, 11:46:31 am »

I've not tried this, but I don't think you can sync an iPod with music from a shared library. Also, MCiS will only sync files that exist in the local library, not the shared library.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. So I guess I need to point iTunes to the same music share like I do for MC. Does iTunes, by default, write anything to the music files? I have it set not to organize anything. I'm scared!
Sue

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #337 on: September 13, 2009, 01:39:45 pm »

I think it may write gapless info or some kind of audio analysis - I'm not exactly sure. It doesn't overwrite anything in MC and I've not noticed anything to worry about. One thing I do know for sure is that you need the cover art in the file tags for it to show up in iTunes and on your iPod.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #338 on: September 13, 2009, 08:24:07 pm »

Life is good thanks to MCiS.

I was able to upgrade to the new version of iTunes, new firmware for my iPhones, and new firmware one of my iPods.....

Plus I ripped about 30 albums (the 2 new Beatles Box Sets plus a few more CDs)...

I then synced up iTunes and all the iPhones/iPods...

And never a problem was found ;D

Randy

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #339 on: September 13, 2009, 09:16:36 pm »

Thanks for the success story, Randy. I have it syncing now... on #16082 of 20801. Now I just need my iTouch to get here!
Sue

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #340 on: September 13, 2009, 09:52:47 pm »

Thanks for the success story, Randy. I have it syncing now... on #16082 of 20801. Now I just need my iTouch to get here!

You should have no trouble with the iTouch. You could practice on an iPod if you have one.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #341 on: September 14, 2009, 08:16:42 am »

Life is good thanks to MCiS.

I know how you feel, it puts a smile on my face sometimes too. Though it's v cheering to get such a glowing assessment! I'm a little biased, y'see ;D

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #342 on: September 14, 2009, 09:48:19 am »

Thank you for this tool, prod. Everything synced wonderfully after I found and removed some duplicates in my MC library. And my iTouch is on the Fedex truck for delivery today! Life IS good!
Sue

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #343 on: September 14, 2009, 08:28:53 pm »

Thank you for this tool, prod. Everything synced wonderfully after I found and removed some duplicates in my MC library. And my iTouch is on the Fedex truck for delivery today! Life IS good!

Hi Sue, you probably already have the latest version of iTunes installed. If you you could get that part out of the way ahead of time. My guess is that the iTouch will come with outdated firmware, so you should check that when it arrives.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #344 on: September 15, 2009, 02:27:08 am »

No worries. Hope the Touch got there OK. My dad bought one the other week and he's over the moon with it - particularly as it works over bluetooth with his car, he's off galavanting on a road trip across Europe for a couple of months. Retirement sounds pretty good. :)

Cerebro

• Recent member
« Reply #345 on: September 16, 2009, 06:44:24 pm »

Hi,

I've been trying a few times now to use this tool to sync my mc 14.0.69 and Itunes 9.0.70. It runs through a long time of syncing on all my MC playlists and smartlists (it seems like almost all analyzed items get synced), but when I look in iTunes there is no MC playlist to be found. I selected to sync to root folder; the main music and podcast tracks are present in both libraries.

What am I possibly doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #346 on: September 17, 2009, 02:10:01 am »

Hi,

I've been trying a few times now to use this tool to sync my mc 14.0.69 and Itunes 9.0.70. It runs through a long time of syncing on all my MC playlists and smartlists (it seems like almost all analyzed items get synced), but when I look in iTunes there is no MC playlist to be found. I selected to sync to root folder; the main music and podcast tracks are present in both libraries.

What am I possibly doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, make sure in "Settings" you don't have Run in Test Mode checked.

Also, have a look in the log to see if the sync is completing successfully. Playlists are sync'd at the end, so if an error is encountered during analysis, it won't get that far. The last line of the log gives you the result of the sync.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #347 on: September 18, 2009, 10:14:44 am »

Has this program been used successfully with the new 3rd generation iPod Touch that recently came out?  Specifically, the 32GB or 64GB versions.

I'm thinking about buying a new player and knowing if MCiS works with the latest Touch would be helpful.

Thanks,
BullishDad

Cerebro

• Recent member
« Reply #348 on: September 18, 2009, 08:43:38 pm »

Hi, make sure in "Settings" you don't have Run in Test Mode checked.

Also, have a look in the log to see if the sync is completing successfully. Playlists are sync'd at the end, so if an error is encountered during analysis, it won't get that far. The last line of the log gives you the result of the sync.

Hi Prod,

Thanks a lot for your comment and help. I've checked the log file and found that the tool got stuck with a song and did not continue. I have removed the mp3 that caused the problem and restarted it. It did work in the end after several runs, where I took problematic songs out of my library one at a time.

I want to thank you a lot for this great tool, as it is exactly what I was looking for! As a small side note though: can the code be changed to just ignore files it cannot process and give their names at the end of the log file? That might save those people a lot of time who have a large and old library (like me) who try to sync for the first time, but can't because with every run it gets stuck with another file.

And another quick question (with the fear of sounding stupid): I am looking for the place to enter the the "RebuildOnSync: Yes" in my smartlists in MC. Can you give me some direction? I

Thanks a lot!!

Cheers

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #349 on: September 18, 2009, 09:11:23 pm »

Has this program been used successfully with the new 3rd generation iPod Touch that recently came out?  Specifically, the 32GB or 64GB versions.

Yes. I have the new 64GB Touch. I can't say I have tested extensively, since I just got it on Monday and I'm not using the Touch for music playback a lot, but it did sync the plays from my iPod back to MC.

Now if I could just find a way to sync all my Squeezebox plays to iTunes (and MC)... that is where I do 98% of my listening these days.
Sue
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 21   Go Up