INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing video on multiple zones  (Read 1850 times)

fehguy

Playing video on multiple zones
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:51:03 am »

Hi all, I'm using MC13 as a centralized media server to multiple zones.  This is done with a PC with two video cards which are sending audio and video into my Russound CAV6.6 amplifier.  The MC link software generously donated by hyslopc controls it all, and it works great!

The issue I'm having is regarding video on my 2nd zone.  I'm encoding video into MP4 format, which MC apparently uses some portion of quicktime for playing back.  But when playing video back, the audio only goes out the primary sound card, which happens to be on zone 1.  I can play audio back through zone 2 no problem.  It's just video (and probably just video through the quicktime components).

Any tips on getting around this issue?  Perhaps a better format to encode into?  Any tips are greatly appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playing video on multiple zones
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:23:15 am »

You could read about these subjects:

DirectShow
CCCP
Video Formats

in our wiki:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

MC can use the QT engine or it can use DirectShow filters to play video (set in Options/FileType in MC13).  DirectShow might solve your problem.

fehguy

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:22:20 am »

worked like a charm.  Thanks so much for the quick reply!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:47:00 am »

I'm glad it's working.  Thanks for reporting back.

fehguy

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:35:21 am »

I may have spoken too soon.  Looks like i'm not understanding how the zone manager is configuring the directShow playback settings.

If i go to Player/playback options/zone manager and configure zone 1, I set the Video/DirectShow playback options so that the "audio renderer" is using audio card 1.  If i then go to configure zone 2 and set the same setting so that it's using audio card 2, the change affects zone 1.  So this means i can never have the two audio cards in use on two different zones.

I thought it was working correctly because i finally had it working on zone 2.  But I didn't realize that zone 1 was affected as well.

I just grabbed the latest version of jrmc, version 13.0.166.  Still does it.

Any ideas on this?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:16:07 am »

I may have spoken too soon.  Looks like i'm not understanding how the zone manager is configuring the directShow playback settings.

If i go to Player/playback options/zone manager and configure zone 1, I set the Video/DirectShow playback options so that the "audio renderer" is using audio card 1.  If i then go to configure zone 2 and set the same setting so that it's using audio card 2, the change affects zone 1.  So this means i can never have the two audio cards in use on two different zones.

I thought it was working correctly because i finally had it working on zone 2.  But I didn't realize that zone 1 was affected as well.

I just grabbed the latest version of jrmc, version 13.0.166.  Still does it.

Any ideas on this?

Make sure you actually switch to zone 2 (Player > Playback Options > Zone 2) before going to Tools > Options > Playback > Video > DirectShow video playback settings... to select audio renderer for the zone.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

fehguy

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:33:15 am »

fantastic!  that did it.

Might want to make that more clear in the UI.  Previously I did go to the zone manager and select the zone to change before setting the directshow audio output device.  But i don't mind the extra step of actually switching zones before configuring.

thank you much
Pages: [1]   Go Up