INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to use "contains" for smartlist that looks at delimited list  (Read 1506 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I'm stumped.
I was just about to nest my places to look like:

europe
  Amsterdam
  Bruges

but I will only do it if I can search for "europe" in a smartlist without having to select each item under Europe.
I can't figure out how to do this for a delimited list.
I [Places]=[Europe* and [Places]="europe" and other combinations I could think of, but none worked. 

Is it possible?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: how to use "contains" for smartlist that looks at delimited list
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 01:56:31 pm »

Hi lise, if you check my bug reports, you'll see my comments regarding how the wizard changes certain strings. There's a link in there that gives yet more details.

The work-around for the time being is to use expression based rules...

[=isequal([places],europe,8)]=1

Will return all files where [places] contains europe. The number eight you see in there makes the search case-insensitive, which mimics the behaviour of the search bar. If you want case sensitivity, change the eight to a seven.

regards,
-marko.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 04:25:38 pm »

Thanks Marko. That does the trick.
However, I encountered something that I don't like about nesting.
Actually, I nested everything about 6 months ago, and then figured out that you can't tag into the topmost folders, which is essential for me. I had forgotten about that, and just encountered it again, so no nesting for me (yet again).  Too bad, because it would have been a really nice feature. 

And just in case anyone at JRiver is reading this, here is why I need to tag into the top most folders:

Europe (exclusively for general Europe stuff where I don't know the country)
    Spain (exlusively for general Spain stuff where I don't have  city)
         Arcos de la Frontera  (exlusively for Arcos stuff)

Currently there is no way to tag for Europe alone or Spain alone in Pane Tagging mode.
Also, the subfolders are not exclusive, but are rather included in the topmost folders.
This is not at all how I want to tag my pictures, so it's a no go for me.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

rjm

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 11:14:09 pm »

Currently there is no way to tag for Europe alone or Spain alone in Pane Tagging mode.
If I understand you correctly, the way I got around this was to define an "Assorted" group.
eg.
Europe\ Assorted
Europe\Spain\ Assorted

Notice that I put a space before the "A". This forces it to the top of the list.

Don't give up on nesting too quickly. Every file in my 200k collection uses 2 nested fields (Type and Topic). I can browse to anything in a heartbeat and could not manage my library without nesting.

I do not understand your other concern about subfolder exclusivity. Perhaps you could elaborate?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 01:15:41 am »

Lise, you are correct in that when using pane tagging mode, the "base tag" if you like, does not offer a tagging tick box, but, you can still, (or you could last time I tried) drag and drop files onto that entry and the tag value is applied.

rjm, I use a similar system, only I use an exclamation mark at the front of each branch to ensure that they all rise to the top of the pane....

The only drawback for me with nested lists, is that I lurve the drop down panes with their search boxes, but they are currently impossible because the search won't search inside a branch unless you expand it first before searching :(

-marko.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:07:35 am »

If I understand you correctly, the way I got around this was to define an "Assorted" group.
eg.
Europe\ Assorted
Europe\Spain\ Assorted

Perfect. That did the trick. thanks!

I do not understand your other concern about subfolder exclusivity. Perhaps you could elaborate?

Selecting the topmost folder displays all pictures in all folders below it, so selecting Europe would display all pictures from Germany and the Netherlands. I wanted to use the topmost folder as a Europe Only folder. But this is no longer a concern, as I have taken your suggestion and created Europe\Assorted, which is what I wanted.

the search won't search inside a branch unless you expand it first before searching :(

Oh oh. Hadn't thought of that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up