INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading loses "Custom" tag data?  (Read 1224 times)

BlindFaith

upgrading loses "Custom" tag data?
« on: July 16, 2002, 07:54:16 am »

I uninstalled v7, installed v8, and seemed to have lost the data in the "Custom 1" tag field.

Is this data lost forever, or do I need to do something differently (like different "import" settings)?

Any help would be appreciated ... you wouldn't believe how much time I spent tagging these files.

BlindFaith

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:upgrading loses
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 07:58:10 am »

Which version of 8.0?  Make sure it's recent.  8.0.329 is now on our downloads page.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

BlindFaith

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2002, 08:56:03 am »

Should I uninstall the older version 8 before installing the newer version?  

Thanks,

BlindFaith

PS - I love this software.

JimH

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2002, 09:14:01 am »

no
Jim Hillegass

BlindFaith

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 12:42:12 pm »

I installed .329 over prior V8.3x, and have imported MP3 files from within MJ and from MS Explorer.  

Perhaps 1% of files "retained" their Custom 1 data, and I can't discern a pattern that would explain why some files "work" and others don't.

Any further ideas? Settings?

Thanks again,
BlindFaith

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2002, 12:56:25 pm »

Custom 1 is only stored in the ID3v2 tags of the files, so it may not be in all your mp3's since they don't all have v2 tags.  I believe MJ 7 only wrote an ID3v2 tag if one already existed on the file. (this is configurable in 8)  Also, several programs discard tag fields they don't understand, so updating the tag with Winamp may have caused you to lose MJ custom fields.

Ideally, let Media Jukebox 8 upgrade your Media Jukebox 7 database.  That way, everything will come across intact.  Do you still have a copy (or backup) of your MJ 7 database?

Also, if you have the database, you can easily rebuild the tags to make sure they have everything in them.

Let us know...

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BlindFaith

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2002, 02:54:22 pm »

Thank you for your prompt and comprehensive replies.

I did not backup the V7 database.  I thought the tag info was in the MP3 file per se and not external to it (thus the name "BlindFaith").

For your information, the MP3 files were not "touched" by any intervening application (Winamp, etc.) as you mentioned.  I went directly from MJ v7 to MJ v8 within the space of about 30 minutes.

I am distracted by the fact the Custom 1 data seems to have survived in a very few files.  That leads me to believe that if I could just figure how to do things "right" I could recover that data, but I'm clueless about why it survived in those instances.

So ... I'll just re-enter the former Custom 1 data, and this time I'll use the Comments field as my quick reading leads me to believe that that field is less vulnerable.

Thanks again for your help, and again, I love the product.

Blind Faith

JimH

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2002, 03:23:15 pm »

MJ 8 makes a backup of your data files in the programs folder.  Please check to see if you can find it.
Jim Hillegass

BlindFaith

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2002, 03:52:06 pm »

Thanks for the prodding.  I found it and restored from it, but it is the most recent backup (the post-problem backup).

Unfortunately, I use a very thorough third-party uninstall utility, and when I uninstalled v7, it deleted EVERYTHING then-associated with MJ v7.  So I lost the backup file, playlists, and everything in the JRiver folder.

I'm older and (maybe) wiser now.  At some point soon, I'm going to learn more about MP3 tags, and the application-specific versus core attributes, etc.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up