INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Version 7 to 8 Upgrade Problems - Migrated Back to V7  (Read 856 times)

KG Eiring

Version 7 to 8 Upgrade Problems - Migrated Back to V7
« on: July 16, 2002, 07:14:29 am »

First I need to say you have the best product out on the market, I tried trials of virtually every product out there and setttled on yours because of its ability to burn CDs well, the gapless feature is unrivaled.

I upgraded from version 7 to 8 last night and had enough different problems to motivate me to de-install V8 and re-install V7.

Playback directly from CD showed problems at the end of some tracks where the sound would disappear and reappear. I copied the track to hard drive and the problem did not follow, though. The CD was a commercial one from Apple Records. It plays fine on my stereo CD player.

Each time I selected CD, DVD it went through a device analysis which took way more time than version 7. I just want to play the CD not wait 60 seconds while it looks around, perhaps there's a way to save its findings after the first look but I figure that is something you folks should have built in.

When switch tracks or selecting RIP CD there again was an inordinate amount of time while things changed up. As much as a minute or more. On a couple of tries the whole thing hung up and I had to reboot.

Though I finally figured it out, the sort (playlist) would not yield the same sequence on playback, you have to right-click to set the new sort list to default playlist. Version 7 recognized the sort as the new play order - very irritating to have to spend 10 minutes to figure out your new way of doing things. In this world of marketing there is an obsession to come up with new bells and whistles and to 'improve' a product - should not happen at the expense of your paying customer's familiarity of your product or their time.

After the above experience of discovering the differences and seeming shortcomings of version 8 I said to heck with it and re-installed version 7. It all works just fine, no hesitations, no reboots, no inordinate amount of time to look at the devices.

Don't mean to be so critical, if I didn't like your product and didn't recommend it to my friends I wouldn't have written this note.

thanks.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Version 7 to 8 Upgrade Problems - Migrated Back to V7
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 07:22:49 am »

Most of the CD problems could be related to digital playback not working on one of your drives.  You can uncheck this option in MJ.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KG Eiring

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2002, 07:46:21 am »

Used digital playback option with version 7 with no problems. Don't think this is the problem...thanks, though.

JimH

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2002, 07:53:16 am »

Sorry it didn't work out for you.  All I can say is that MJ 8.0 is now extremely stable on most systems.  If you've been around computers long enough, you will sympathize when I say that there are times when certain PC's running certain software act like mules -- they just refuse to go.

Please copy your system info from MJ Help and paste it here, if you don't mind.
Jim Hillegass

JimH

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 08:10:32 am »

One more thought on the CD problems.  There was a problem when Nero's INCD was installed.  They put out a release that fixed it.  See Shelly's comment at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=12030
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up