INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help-hard drive failed and I don't know my file old structure  (Read 1369 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile

One of my hard drives failed, and it had lots of video on it.  I have most of this backed up on a spare hd, but I don't know what the folder hierarchy was on the original.  I might have preserved it, but I'm not sure, and I don't want MC to read the new drive and change anything in the DB.  I have TONS of customized theater views set up!

I tried to load a previous library save and look at the disk location, but T: (my dead drive) does not appear anywhere.  What happened to missing files showing up with the yellow 'missing indicator?'  It sure would be helpful to me!

I even tried going into autoimport and turning off all automatic importing, update external changes, etc. but that didn't work either.

How can I find out what my old T: folders used to look like?

pgrisham

• World Citizen
Re: need help-hard drive failed and I don't know my file old structure
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:51:09 am »

...anyone?

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 01:22:31 pm »

Okay,  this may be an incorrect reply offbase reply, but, the first thing I would do is to bring up the old mc library with all the missing files and turn on the column for the full path, sort by that column.  You may be able to discern the structure from that.  (Assuming I even understand what you are saying.

If you do indeed have it backed up with the structure intact on another drive, I am not sure why the rename, move copy copy command wouldn't allow you to fix things.

But I am wildly speculating.  Hope it helps.
John

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 04:04:28 pm »

I agree with Jack Wallstreet.  Be sure to turn off "fix broken Links" also. 

I can really empathize with you on this.  I had similar problems not to long ago.  “filename” has the complete path in it so turn all the auto import functions off and import one of your back ups.  You can sort on “filename” and that should help you find what you are looking for.  It should look something like this:
E:\ROCK\Clapton, Eric\461 Ocean Boulevard\Give Me Strength.ape

The hard lesson I learned is that you need to export everything on a regular basis including playlists.  When you lose a file and if you or MC deletes the file in the database then it is lost to your playlists as well.  I lost months of work and then I had to go through 1200 CD’s to determine what was missing.  No system is perfect and we need to continue to safe guard our data.

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 04:17:27 pm »

Per an earlier thread (extensive discussion on playlists), keep "fix broken links" ALWAYS off and you won't lose the playlist connections.
John

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 07:37:07 pm »

Thanks!  That's the ticket!
Pages: [1]   Go Up