INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Klite codec problem  (Read 1948 times)

that_stevens_guy

• Recent member
Klite codec problem
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:59:59 am »

I thought maybe MC13 would be good for organising and playing my videos... but I find Media Center really struggles to get them going... it gets really jumpy at times. VLC and MPC playback video better than MC without any effort at all.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Klite codec problem
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 07:25:30 am »

Your video problem is probably related to DirectShow filters.  Read about DirectShow in our wiki (link above) and especially about CCCP.

Audio features include WASAPI, the new Link Bar, and a new cover art system (Get from Internet).  MC13 is also faster in startup, display, and search.

that_stevens_guy

• Recent member
Klite codec problem
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:38:32 am »

I use K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, like everyone else I know... I'm in multimedia so I need the codecs for conversion and encoding. The point I was making is that VLC Player and Media Player Classic have no problems at all playing videos, I feed either player any file and I have no issues at all. For a shareware I was hoping for at least the same responsiveness, I shouldn't have to muck around with settings to get it to play correctly...

I have noticed that MC13 is faster than MJ12 however I was hoping for something more to convince me to continue using it. I'm looking forward to MC14, hopefully peoples feedback on MC13 will help improve the product.

MrHaugen

Klite codec problem
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:48:10 am »

I use K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, like everyone else I know... I'm in multimedia so I need the codecs for conversion and encoding. The point I was making is that VLC Player and Media Player Classic have no problems at all playing videos, I feed either player any file and I have no issues at all. For a shareware I was hoping for at least the same responsiveness, I shouldn't have to muck around with settings to get it to play correctly...

I have noticed that MC13 is faster than MJ12 however I was hoping for something more to convince me to continue using it. I'm looking forward to MC14, hopefully peoples feedback on MC13 will help improve the product.

Video support in MC13 is good. Most of MC13 users install CCCP, wich works out of the box most of the time. If you have other preffered codecs you might have to dig into the Directshow options and select codecs for the file types you need.

Every MC13 and computer setup is different. MC13 is very very flexible in it's configuration. That's also why there are problems sometimes. If you don't have the time to check out things like this, the playback might seem bad to you. While others have perfect playback of mkv 1080p movies and all sorts of other, not so demanding media.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

prod

• Play nice
Re: Klite codec problem
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:48:02 am »

Most of MC13 users install CCCP, wich works out of the box most of the time.

I can vouch for that, never had any problems with CCCP installed.

The OP's actual point though is one that I think shouldn't be ignored or sidetracked, this seems to be a common complaint and asking telling people to install yet another codec pack seems diversionary.

that_stevens_guy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:36:34 pm »

The OP's actual point though is one that I think shouldn't be ignored or sidetracked, this seems to be a common complaint and asking telling people to install yet another codec pack seems diversionary.

That is more what I was going for, the point is it should just work if the codecs are installed on the system, no matter how they are installed, be it individually or as a package.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 03:26:21 pm »

That is more what I was going for, the point is it should just work if the codecs are installed on the system, no matter how they are installed, be it individually or as a package.

What exactly should just work? The term "video" in your first post in this thread is too vague. Obviously you are aware about the different encoding and file formats, but for some reason don't give any information about the formats you use and the DirectShow filters that should be used from the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

VLC does not use the DirectShow filter system at all. It uses only internal codecs because it is a multi-platform player. MPC is fully DirectShow compatible, but it uses a few internal codecs by default.

MC is designed to use the externally installed DirectShow filters and by default the filters are selected by using the DirectShow merit system. Have you checked that the installed filters have correct merit values? (= the preferred filter has the highest merit of the filters that support the format or task). MC provides good tools for overriding the automatic merit system if and when preferred.

JRiver Wiki has an article about DirectShow playback: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide. Wikipedia provides some good info about the DirectShow system in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectShow. There is also a chapter about "Codec Hell": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectShow#Codec_hell

The quite minimalist CCCP pack is often recommended here because it pretty much just works with the most common encoding and container formats when no other filters are installed besides what MS provides by default. My preferred method is to first install only CCCP and then install additional filters only if necessary, one by one. This makes possible to test each installed additional filter individually and it is easy to uninstall the last installed filter before trying some other filter.

EDIT

I changed most of the "codec" words to "filter". Filter is more correct when we are speaking about the DirectShow system.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 03:41:11 pm »

The quite minimalist CCCP codec pack is often recommended here because it pretty much just works with the most common encoding and container formats when no other codecs are installed besides what MS provides by default. My preferred method is to first install only CCCP and then install additional codecs only if necessary, one by one. This makes possible to test each installed additional codec individually and it is easy to uninstall the last installed codec before trying some other codec.

Fine advice.  (The part I didn't quote was good too.)

that_stevens_guy

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 04:53:28 pm »

I had a bit of a play with the settings and video seems to be ok now, even plays 1080p files fine. Although I seem to be getting a bit of a sound lag and I don't know if its being caused by the video playback or the sound itself. I'm a little tired at the moment. But I guess I could play some more later.

Also thanks for clearing up that about VLC, I had heard something along those lines but didn't care to look into it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up