INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FTP download problems  (Read 2441 times)

phelt

FTP download problems
« on: July 15, 2002, 01:15:23 pm »

I have regular download problems with the jriver FTP site. If there's some special setting that I need to use, please let me know - I've tried using PASV (passive FTP mode) and that works occasionally. The FTP always seems to choke on the LIST command, so I've turned that off. If this is just a traffic/congestion issue, please mention that and I will try during "off" hours.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:FTP download problems
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 01:19:07 pm »

I don't think it's a problem on our FTP server.  We have a lot of downloads each day.  You might try a different FTP client.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

gateley

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 02:08:17 pm »

The LIST command is usually the first command that uses the data channel, so it is probably a problem with the data channel (and
PASV mode indicates this as well). Our server will do both PASV
and non-passive transfers, so the problem is not there.

Are you using a personal firewall? Does your ISP have any policy
on FTP? I know that AOL tends to use a bizarre NAT scheme, so AOL
users might be forced to use passive mode (any AOL users confirm this?).

j

phelt

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 02:24:39 pm »

I do have a firewall but I've tried the download with the firewall disabled, and with the apps (FlashFXP and RegetDeluxe) given full permissions. There are no blocked packets showing up. The download will timeout straight from IE 6 or Mozilla 1 as well.

I'm not on AOL, and I don't usually have any problems with FTP or other transfers. PASV usually works with the JRiver FTP, LIST never has. The closest I've gotten to an error message is the following from Reget:

Error 388 15:13:04 7/15/2002 Error #800705B4(This operation returned because the timeout period expired.) in WaitForReadyLock

Maybe this is just some issue with my ISP. I'll check that out and just try my download tonight. Thanks for speedy replies, though

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2002, 02:49:11 pm »

We've seen many instances when disabling a firewall still did not allow packets through.  Uninstalling them did.  Bugs exist in firewalls, too.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up